Mick Karn

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Mick Karn

Post by dead ringer »

Read the sad news that former member of Japan and fretless bass player Mick Karn has been diagnosed with terminal cancer! Although not particularly a fan of their music i was drawn to it by the extraordinary playing of the fretless bass by Mick in the same way i found myself listening to early Paul Young just to hear Pino Palladino playing fantastic fretless bass in a similar style! Mick Karn later went on to work with Kate Bush and Gary Numan amongst others before embarking on a solo career! Check out his website link;

http://www.mickkarn.net/
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Mick Karn

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

dead ringer wrote:i was drawn to it by the extraordinary playing of the fretless bass by Mick in the same way i found myself listening to early Paul Young just to hear Pino Palladino playing fantastic fretless bass in a similar style!
Extraordinary & fantastic?
Total crap more like.

Mick Karn & that Penis Palladino fella were certainly responsible for that awful sounding limp-wristed-fretless-bass-through-a-flanger-FX-pedal-noise in the 80's and should have been shot for it.
It's bloody awful and the absolute antithesis of JJ's wonderfully aggressive sound.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I used to quite rate some of the stuff Japan did. It's very far away from even the more gentle Stranglers material, but stuff like 'Ghosts' and 'Night Porter' were good tracks, and most of the "Oil on Canvas" live album was great. Other than the chart single with Midge Ure I haven't heard anything of MK's work since Japan broke up.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

As a band I found them totally unlistenable , his style of bass playing just wasn't a style I could ever get into in a million years ......Tin Drum for instance seemed like random notes with nothing to do with the actual tune (?) behind it . BUT .... we aren't talking Japan here , its Mick Karn and you don't like to hear about things like that with anybody regardless of the band or music - its not like they ever harmed anyone . Just shows the fagility of life - make the most of what you have .
All quiet ..........
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Fuck me it's like the school playground on here sometimes. What the fuck has MK dying of cancer got to do with JJ's bass playing Arthur Streeb-Greebling?

For a start try opening your mind to other types of music and secondly try being a bit more humanitarian about the plight of a gifted musician suffering whilst worrying about the future of his family. :(

Utterly pathetic.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Black Leather Jacket wrote:Fuck me it's like the school playground on here sometimes. What the fuck has MK dying of cancer got to do with JJ's bass playing Arthur Streeb-Greebling?

For a start try opening your mind to other types of music and secondly try being a bit more humanitarian about the plight of a gifted musician suffering whilst worrying about the future of his family. :(

Utterly pathetic.
Jeez calm down dear, don't get your knickers in such a twist.
It's only my opinion, and an opinion on his bass playing, not on the state of his health, I just don't like fretless bass through a flanger pedal. Period.
What do you want me to do? wait until he's brown bread before I give my opinion on his bass playing? and Im not allowed to comment on his bass playing because he's got the big C? that's BS.
Im not surprised there is lots of people leaving this forum, there's far too many sensitive wet big girls blouses ruining it for everyone else, you can't say anything anymore without someone crying and getting upset.
Totally pathetic.
Never to look back
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Never to look back »

Surely everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Whether negative or positive.
I had a black shirt, But I wasn't one
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

Never to look back wrote:Surely everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Whether negative or positive.
Absolutely......I think its how you put it across though.. 8)

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
Never to look back
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Never to look back »

That's true but some people are better than others with regard to emotional issues.
I had a black shirt, But I wasn't one
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

couldn't agree more :!:

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

I'm not upset. I just think it's a shitty to write and it could've been expressed better.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Black Leather Jacket wrote:I'm not upset. I just think it's a shitty to write and it could've been expressed better.
Ironic post of the day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist that BLJ - the only post that raised a smile this lunchtime.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better