Supergrass calling it a day!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

Sad news indeed about Brit Pops finest and long lasted band calling it a day,due to the old "musical differences" cliche. Always thought Supergrass where like The Stranglers of Brit Pop,certainly the most talented by a country mile,but also the most underappreciated and least lauded compared to their peers......... :roll:

I know Supergrass where big Stranglers fans,I recall Mick Quinn the bassist saying in a magazine that JJ's bass sound on Rattus was the best ever commited to record.There is a lot of The Stranglers in Supergrass's sound,you can hear it in a lot of their work,especially 2002's "Life on other Planets" album.

Anyway the Farewell tour kicks off on the 8th of June at the Glasgow Barrowlands,and I would urge anyone who has'nt seen them,to catch a show........a superb live act!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Supergrass calling it a day!

Post by jason »

That's a shame they are a great band and yes a bit like the Stranglers in some ways. I've seen them twice and they were great both times.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Frank Castle wrote:Sad news indeed about Brit Pops finest and long lasted band calling it a day,due to the old "musical differences" cliche. Always thought Supergrass where like The Stranglers of Brit Pop,certainly the most talented by a country mile,but also the most underappreciated and least lauded compared to their peers......... :roll:

I know Supergrass where big Stranglers fans,I recall Mick Quinn the bassist saying in a magazine that JJ's bass sound on Rattus was the best ever commited to record.There is a lot of The Stranglers in Supergrass's sound,you can hear it in a lot of their work,especially 2002's "Life on other Planets" album.

Anyway the Farewell tour kicks off on the 8th of June at the Glasgow Barrowlands,and I would urge anyone who has'nt seen them,to catch a show........a superb live act!
:( Sad to hear.Loved their gigs.'In It For The Money' tour/gig were great.Reminded me of early Stranglers gigs.Jam packed,wild and wacky but without the sinister gang
undercurrent.Recently they weren't on form and I kinda seen this coming.Will be in attendance with Mrs A79.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Thank fuck for that, probably one of worse of the so called 'Brit Pop' bands with a monkey for a singer.

Wish people would stop comparing The Stranglers to all these shite bands.
:roll:
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They nicked the Nice n Sleazy bass riff on the Road to Rouen track.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Supergrass calling it a day!
Thank fuck for that, probably one of worse of the so called 'Brit Pop' bands with a monkey for a singer.

Who compared?
And as for shite well I wouldn't say that.Their gigs were great.
As for Coombes...at least he could sing and and the rest could play their instruments.
As for the keyboard player.... 8)
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

jason wrote:They nicked the Nice n Sleazy bass riff on the Road to Rouen track.
Nail bang on the head....pretty blatant I thought.
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

APOLLO79 wrote:

Who compared?
And as for shite well I wouldn't say that.Their gigs were great.
As for Coombes...at least he could sing and and the rest could play their instruments.
As for the keyboard player.... 8)
Too fucking right Apollo,saw them acoustic a few years ago did'nt realise just how talented they where until that night.

Theres tons of bands out there who sound like The Stranglers....fact of fucking life.
Last edited by Frank Castle on 15 Apr 2010, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'll always remember watching this band walk onstage at a Leeds fest about 10 years ago just after I smoked some incredibly strong cigerettes - over an hour later I'm waking back up and they're going off stage - I don't mind them to be honest. Talented guys.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Agreed. Another average band who sound nothing like The Stranglers (original). 8)
Except the bits they copied. :lol:
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

It was pretty much all downhill after Mansize Rooster on the Word.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Gene Regulation wrote:It was pretty much all downhill after Mansize Rooster on the Word.
I think they bottomed out with 'Late In The Day..to Moving.'.....Maybe the odd song after that,They piss all over oasis...well apart from Owen Morris' 1st two albums.
From 'Be Here Now' oasis were shit.Pure shit.Total shit. God, they even used Morse Code in the production.
I remember back in '97 Radio 1 gave up a whole day for that shite.And correct me if I'm wrong In It For The Money wasn't far behind it...when it was released.
That album left Mr Morris' effort standing.....carry on....