Sophisticated Boom Boom

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Sophisticated Boom Boom

Post by FenDale »

Following on from the Invisible Girls thread, I also have a Peel session on cassette by "Sophisticated Boom Boom" again from about 1980 but I've never found out if they ever made any actual records - does anyone know anything more about this band? They were in a similar vein to Delta 5, The Modettes that sort of band in sound and as far as I can make out the names of two of the songs are "Joe" and "Surrender To Me" (although it might possibly be called "Ego Trip" as the chorus goes "I'm on an ego trip surrender to me"). Actually thinking about it they sounded very much like an English language version of Kleenex/Lilliput who were a Swiss band much loved by Peel (and me!) who recorded under both names but were essentially the same band with ppossibly one change of personnel and were on, no shock here, Rough Trade.
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Sophisticated Boom Boom

Post by gjinblack »

I saw Kleenex with The Raincoats and Spizz Energi at The Factory in Hulme. Good night out. Kleenex were excellent that night.
euromanc-ometh
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

Were they an all girl group from Glasgow???

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Rodney Blackstaff wrote:Were they an all girl group from Glasgow???

Rodders
I think they're from Switzerland, Kleenex that is, and they were all girl. Raincoats had some of The Slits in the line up.
euromanc-ometh
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

Rodders

The thought that they were Scottish was at the back of my mind and was why I described them as an "English language version of Kleenex/Lilliput" so as not to cause offence if described them as English and they weren't!

Kleenex were definitely Swiss.

As for The Slits and The Raincoats, even though I was really into the all female/female vocalist led bands at the time (obvioulsy The Passions were the pinnacle :wink:) , I never "got" either of those; to my mind they really were an atonal racket with no redeeming features at all!
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

FenDale wrote:

Rodders

The thought that they were Scottish was at the back of my mind and was why I described them as an "English language version of Kleenex/Lilliput" so as not to cause offence if described them as English and they weren't!

Kleenex were definitely Swiss.

As for The Slits and The Raincoats, even though I was really into the all female/female vocalist led bands at the time (obvioulsy The Passions were the pinnacle :wink:) , I never "got" either of those; to my mind they really were an atonal racket with no redeeming features at all!
Never heard of them!!!!!!!! The Boom Booms that is but did find this
http://unpopular.typepad.com/unpopular/ ... ted_b.html
Hope it helps

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

Interesting stuff, thanks Rodders.

I love the line "Is it about sex?", "No, it's about 10-30!".