Manics at The Roundhouse 30 May

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Manics at The Roundhouse 30 May

Post by Freddie Laker »

Haven't had time since Saturday to write much of a review, and to be honest haven't really got time to do it now.
Arrived at the venue at 8:40, having been stuck on the North Circular for nearly an hour. :evil:
Managed to offload my mate's tickets to a tout, but with the support band having already finished I was only able to get a tenner for them.
As per the Rattus gig, the place was full, though Manics audiences tend to be a little younger and thinner than a Stranglers crowd. :roll:
The format for the gig was announced in advance, to save any confusion. First up they would play the whole of the new album, in order. Then after a 10 minute break we would get another hour of "hits".
Great idea and I can't imagine many other bands being able to do this.
The Journal For Plague Lovers set was well received - despite only being out a couple of weeks, everyone around me at the front seemed to know all of the lyrics. :smt023
James told us that this part of the evening was only possible thanks to Richey - huge cheer. :smt038
Stand out tracks were Jackie Collins, Virginia State, and the most Holy Bible-esque track All Is Vanity, which was stunning.
James played Richey's old guitar for this song - quite a poignant gesture.
Nicky Wire smiled from time to time, but was clearly in a lot of pain (which he later told us would be eased by champagne). Fair play to him for carrying on with the tour with a prolapsed disc. :smt038
The final track of this set is sung by Nicky - he did explain why he gets vocal duties, but some gobshite was shouting in my ear at the time so I didn't catch a word of it. I suspect the subject matter (suicide note) may have something to do with it.
After a brief re-jig of the stage and backdrop, off we go again, Motorcycle Emptiness, Australia, If You Tolerate This, Tsunami, Your Love Alone, You Love Us, Faster, and loads more.
Ocean Spray and Motown Junk were both superb, and the finale of A Design For Life with The South Wales String Quartet was truly rousing.
I'd love to see the view from the stage of a couple of thousand people singing "we only want to get drunk", and equally when James stands there and sings with just an acoustic guitar- very talented man with an amazing voice. 8)
Bumped into Owen for a brief chat on the way out - both of us agreed this was the best we'd seen the Manics for many years, and the new songs sound even better live. 8)
Top top band, back on blistering form. The standard has been set for Gig Of The Year - let's see if anyone can beat it. 8) :smt023
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Manics at The Roundhouse 30 May

Post by jonimac »

Just back from the gig at Brighton.
Totally agree - gig of the year so far.
New album went down well, and the 2nd half greatest hits blew the place down.

What a talented bloke JDB is
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Glad to hear Brighton was a good gig, Jon.
Just managed to get a ticket for the Forum on Monday. :grin: :grin: :grin:
It's part of the Mojo Honours List, rather than the main tour so I'm not sure if it will be a shorter set. There's also a bit of a teaser about the support act, as they are rumoured to have someone half decent lined up. Whoever it is, I probably won't get there in time anyway. :roll:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

:shock: :shock: :grin:

Great review though Freddie - Shame the tour was a bit Southern based and fairly short

Jim

Freddie Laker wrote: First up they would play the whole of the new album, in order. Then after a 10 minute break we would get another hour of "hits".
Great idea and I can't imagine many other bands being able to do this.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Must admit their new album is starting to grow on me. The hidden track is good too. Those hidden tracks piss me off a bit though. Whats the point in having to wait about 5 mins to hear a track at the end of the album? It also messes up downloading the last track on an album on to your ipod. Sorry I'm getting sidetracked a bit here!
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Spot on review FL-definately the best times I've seen them in quite a few years. I did Brighton last night too & the sound was still powerful & Holy Bible-esque. These gigs have just reiterated what a great guitarist/singer James is too as the guitar was so high in the mix. Sean is a real powerhouse & even Nicky Wire seems to be able to play the bass now. JDB stated that was the last time they'd play the JFPL/hits split set (except for Dublin & Belfast) which is a shame as the new album comes across so well live....
Worth travelling south for Jim-FL & I will see you at the Forum next Monday!!!
Did someone say "Wonky"?
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Sounds like a great gig. I entered a competition to win tickets for The Roundhouse show but nothing came of it! Great review Freddie :!: 8)
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

Thanks for the review Freddie.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

jonimac wrote:Just back from the gig at Brighton.
Totally agree - gig of the year so far.
New album went down well, and the 2nd half greatest hits blew the place down.

What a talented bloke JDB is
Were you the guy i saw leaving the venue in The Red Raven shirt?.

Great gig last night. 2nd time seeing the Manics travelled by myself. The show was explained on the door that they will be playing the whole new album & then a selection of hits. It is a good album, like all of richeys work it takes a few listens to understand it. Even though it is released in 2009 it still sounds like it could of came out in 1996. Some really catchy guitar riffs & james voice is still great. 7 songs into the set i realise i am standing next to Owen. Highlights of the album set "Peeled apples", "Me and stephen hawkins", "Journal for plague lovers", "Marlon jd" "She bathed herself in a bath of bleech" & "Williams last words" which is growing on me.

Half time arrives & Owen,graham and myself talk all things Stranglers, and the Manics. 2nd half kicks off with "Motorcycle emptiness" one of my top 10. Then the momment of the night "All surface no feeling" their best ever song in my opinion. It was good to hear "Tsunami", Then "La tristesse durera" pure brilliance. Later on "FASTER" this is a song i can just listen to over and over. Brilliant music, awesome lyrics. Then my favourite of the later singles "Australia". "Motown junk" & "You love us" then the "If you tolorate this", & "A design for life". And thats it. A great show by the manics.

Many thanks to Owen for the lift to sidcup. Have a good time in london.
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

pigeon wrote:Many thanks to Owen for the lift to sidcup. Have a good time in london.
No worries Pige-glad you got home OK!
Did someone say "Wonky"?
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

jason wrote:Must admit their new album is starting to grow on me. The hidden track is good too. Those hidden tracks piss me off a bit though. Whats the point in having to wait about 5 mins to hear a track at the end of the album? It also messes up downloading the last track on an album on to your ipod. Sorry I'm getting sidetracked a bit here!
I bought the 2CD set, with the demos. The hidden track "Bag Lady" doesn't appear on either disc on this version.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Thats a shame because it's one of the best on the album imo. I'd give the album 7 out of 10.
Freddie Laker wrote:
jason wrote:Must admit their new album is starting to grow on me. The hidden track is good too. Those hidden tracks piss me off a bit though. Whats the point in having to wait about 5 mins to hear a track at the end of the album? It also messes up downloading the last track on an album on to your ipod. Sorry I'm getting sidetracked a bit here!
I bought the 2CD set, with the demos. The hidden track "Bag Lady" doesn't appear on either disc on this version.