gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: THE DAMNED - CARDIFF 16TH DECEMBER

Post by gizzard »

Freddie Laker wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Strawberries is a fantastic album

Jim
Yes, great album, and even if you don't like the tunes, enjoy the whiff - my vinyl copy still smells after 25 years. 8)
Mine also Lord Laker. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I sadly have heard Damned albums, "Damned, damned Damned", "Machine gun etquite" (not bad 6 out of 10 at best), "Strawberries" & "The black album" ( Highly insulting to mr hetfield!) all a pile of dog poo Curtain calling 17 minutes to long!. "Anything" only 7 out of 10 song they did.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Just stick with Strawberries Pidge - listen to it again and clear your lug-oils out. If you want just fucking fantastic jolly pop ditties that are incredibly melodic then it's the way to go - If however, you want chugga-chugga music then stick with Metallica and squeel piggy squeel !!

Jim

pigeon wrote:I sadly have heard Damned albums, "Damned, damned Damned", "Machine gun etquite" (not bad 6 out of 10 at best), "Strawberries" & "The black album" ( Highly insulting to mr hetfield!) all a pile of dog poo Curtain calling 17 minutes to long!. "Anything" only 7 out of 10 song they did.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Like "Meldoy lee" :lol: i hate pop ditties apart from some Misfits. No wonder you think Metallica suck Metallicas like listening to pros ontop of their game, were as listening to the damned is like hearing people who can put out anything because they have the title of "releasing the first punk single" which is no big deal. Now this on the other hand http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSnr95CAc8 Watch and learn Captain.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You hate pop-ditties? Most of the Stranglers output is pop Pidge whether you like it or not - In the 80s they were masters at pop so I'm a bit lost by your comments.

Anyway each to their own Pidge - I'm not forcing you to like the Damned - I have nothing to gain by you getting into them.

Jim

pigeon wrote:Like "Meldoy lee" :lol: i hate pop ditties apart from some Misfits. No wonder you think Metallica suck Metallicas like listening to pros ontop of their game, were as listening to the damned is like hearing people who can put out anything because they have the title of "releasing the first punk single" which is no big deal. Now this on the other hand http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSnr95CAc8 Watch and learn Captain.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Ahh thats where youre wrong Stranglers are a lot more pop. 80s they were Sculptures Stranglers & The damned are at the opposite end of the art of songwritting because the damned diddnt have anyone as great and articulate as Hugh, they had a part time toilet cleaner instead.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think Cap was cleaning toilets in the 80s pidge :lol:

They were VERY close to The Stranglers IMO - Very melodic, clever, eccentric - very close to home.

Jim

pigeon wrote:Ahh thats where youre wrong Stranglers are a lot more pop. 80s they were Sculptures Stranglers & The damned are at the opposite end of the art of songwritting because the damned diddnt have anyone as great and articulate as Hugh, they had a part time toilet cleaner instead.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Nope not near The Stranglers at all even "Fresh air" is better than "Happy talk" :lol:. I dont think copying television adverts is very cleaver.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

pigeon wrote:Ahh thats where youre wrong Stranglers are a lot more pop. 80s they were Sculptures Stranglers & The damned are at the opposite end of the art of songwritting because the damned diddnt have anyone as great and articulate as Hugh, they had a part time toilet cleaner instead.
The Damned certainly had their goth pop success period in the mid 80s. As for comparisons and trying to measure talent... I think as a band over the years The Stranglers edge it creatively whereas The Damned tended to be a bit more loose in the planning but still managed to create some superb moments due to the flair of the individual musicians on the classic albums.

Once we get to talking about individuals I would take Captain solo over Hugh. I actually ran through loads of CS solo stuff yesterday for a new playlist and he certainly has a good ear for a melancholic melody which occasionally finds it's way into The Damned. Not enough these days IMO.
Let's Boogie
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Captain over Hugh solo??? Are you on Drugs?? :shock: :shock:
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

pigeon wrote:Captain over Hugh solo??? Are you on Drugs?? :shock: :shock:
If you put to one side the obvious (the Happy Talks) and the predictable (the three chord pop blasts) then what remains is somewhat psychedelic with some clever integration of sound effects and samples, but not at the expense of a good tune. That's not to say that there's no chaff, there is... Good bass player as well. And the Dolly Mixture style backing (which carries on beyond the A&M years) is superb.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Phantasmagoria is a classic!