X-Ray Spex last night

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

kincajou
Rats Rally

X-Ray Spex last night

Post by kincajou »

Decided to go at the last moment, and it was great fun! First band was fronted by Poly's daughter (a bit of a mini-me, with singing/shouting the title of the next tune!) doing a bit of a punk-lite ska thing, pretty good.

Goldblade pulled out the stops for a fantastic set, lots of OTT tongue in cheek punk rock posturing - 'Do you believe in the power of rock and roll?' :grin:

Then, following a short Don Letts DJ set, the lights went down and ... confusion! Technical problems (hmm, when did that last happen at the Roundhouse - let me see...) meant that the intro to 'Oh Bondage' was lost, it didn't kick in (lights and sound) until halfway through the first verse! Still, X-ray Spex were playing live for the first time in however long and it was great to see them again and to have your ears pulverised by Poly's high pitched squealing! I thought age might have mellowed it, but gladly not! She had a permanent grin on her face all night, constantly waving to the crowd and thanking us.

The songs came thick'n'fast, most greeted with with a roar of approval, except a few of the non-album unfamiliar ones, but they still went down well. The band were a bit nervous and occasionally out of time, but that just added to the fun. All the old faves were played (not a huge back catalogue of course!) and the moshpit bounced along throughout. My faves? Art-I-Ficial, a storming Identity, I Am A Poseur, I Can't Do Anything and of course Dayglo to finish.

The encore? Another rendition of 'Oh Bondage', good to hear all of it this time, with Poly sharing shreiked chorus vocals with her daughter and some Dayglo-costumed middle-aged woman whose name I missed. Great shout-along stuff! Lights on, people streaming out - but they came back for more and finished with another rousing 'Dayglo'.

They had clearly enjoyed themselves, as did we in the crowd. Great time & glad to have got the chance to see the band as I'd missed them first time round. 9/10
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

Nice one matey!! :smt023
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Indeed! Thanks for the review. :grin:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great night !!!

:grin:
Claireinblack
kent
Sidinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Sidinblack »

Me and the missus ventured north to this gig as well. Good night and I thought X Ray Spex and the Blade were really good. Met the man John Robb at the merch stall and had a chat with him, what a top bloke. The missus went back to buy a t-shirt and had a chat with him about the Stranglers as he had noticed her black rat badge. He said that he prefers the Stranglers now they are a 4 piece again and told her how much he admires them.
Blind acceptance is a sign - of stupid fools who stand in line.
paul b
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by paul b »

it's in depth review time again
stella x 2 at the legendary Hope and Anchor, kronenbourg, kronenbourg, stella, stella, southern comfort, southern comfort, tiger (bottle of), lager of unknown origin (in the roundhouse), vegeterian meal(in the marathon kebab house), drunken discussion with staff in the marathon kebab house ref the price of the meal, stella, stella, long walk from camden town to kings cross, discussion with pimp ref 'do you want any ladies', 5 hours sleep. :twisted:
"i'd crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to 1 fat boys asshole"
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

paul b wrote:it's in depth review time again
stella x 2 at the legendary Hope and Anchor, kronenbourg, kronenbourg, stella, stella, southern comfort, southern comfort, tiger (bottle of), lager of unknown origin (in the roundhouse), vegeterian meal(in the marathon kebab house), drunken discussion with staff in the marathon kebab house ref the price of the meal, stella, stella, long walk from camden town to kings cross, discussion with pimp ref 'do you want any ladies', 5 hours sleep. :twisted:
Classic review, felt like I was there, like :smt023

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great night in Camden last night. Met up with the ‘E-bay Whore’ and kicked off our session in the ‘Hope & Anchor’. Both sat at the bar trying to imagine what the atmosphere would have been like there some 3 decades ago. Nothing like yesterday I suspect with only a few Irish blokes watching the world cup qualifying footie!

Next stop was ‘The Spread Eagle’ to hook up with a couple of other mates from Nottingham and to see if it was as good as I remembered it was from last years Stranglers gig. And it was! Took in a couple of other boozers before ending up in the bar across the road from The Roundhouse where Big Al held court last year. Whilst there we bumped into John & Blacktania quite by accident and not long after we were joined by one of my forum faves - Mr Roy Batty and his lovely wife. This was turning into a right little get together!

Eventually everyone made their way to the venue which was rammed. I was very impressed with the turn out , just shows how much X-Ray Spex are appreciated. Anyway, I was hoping to catch the Goldblade set but was only in time to see John Robb ‘blessing’ the audience as he repeatedly asked this question during their last number:

“DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF ROCK’N’ROLL?”

Wish I’d seen more but it wasn’t to be. At least we were in time to catch Don Letts’ DJ spot. Bound to get the crowd going by spinning a few punk classics paul b convinced me. Not to be! All he played was some dull as fuck reggae.

Shortly afterwards, the moment we had all been waiting for (in my case about 30 years!) -the arrival of X-Ray Spex!!! Got to admit that although I was really looking forward to this gig I was still a little cynical about the event. On paper it was all good & well but would they really be any good live? First impressions weren’t particularly favourable I have to say. The sound left a lot to be desired to start with and Poly Styrene looked very uncomfortable, maybe even nervous to begin with. I also thought she could have belted out the songs with a bit more passion. Still, this has to be her biggest gig ever and after being away for so long I suppose maybe you have to expect a few hitches.

I’m pleased to say that the gig improved as it went along with Poly breaking into smiles when the audience showed their appreciation in between songs. Highlights were everything from the ‘Germ Free Adolescents’ album and the singles/b.sides. Low points were the songs from the 2nd album which hardly any fucker knows. And they’re basically crap btw.

Poly was joined on stage by her daughter (amongst others) during one of the encores. I have to admit to wiping a tear from my eye at this moment, I thought it was quite moving as they sang ‘Oh Bondage Up Yours!’ But then again I’m a very sensitive guy (one of the 6?) - others thought this moment was naff. Heartless bastards!

On the whole I consider the gig to be a success and I enjoyed most of it. Just fantastic to hear the music of X-RAY SPEX live and in such a legendary venue. It was the likes of X-Ray Spex that initially turned me on to punk more than The Pistols or The Clash did all those years ago. However, this wasn’t a classic gig by any stretch of the imagination. Would I rush back for more? Doubt it..er..maybe…oh fuck it! Of course I would. A fool and his money are easily parted after all.

Most of us finished the night off in the ‘Marathon Bar’ (I love this place!) where bry converted me to the sounds of Teasing Lulu. First class night, great to meet up with everyone and hope to catch up with you on The Stranglers tour!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Ms Styrene & daughter(2nd from right), original bass player Paul Dean plus some other day-glo bint!

Poly Styrene might not make the 'Jodie Foster' thread but she's got some reet tit on 'er I tell thee!
Last edited by ThruBeingCool on 10 Jan 2010, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Thanks for the review Bazza

:smile:
Claireinblack
kent
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Claireinblack wrote:Thanks for the review Bazza

:smile:
My pleasure Claire :wink:

Good review
from Kincajou
too!

Eh! I'm a poet, but I don't know it!

I'll get me coat
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Nice review there Bazza! 8)

Does'nt sound as good as what the Pistols were though. :wink:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''