Pistols at B'ham review - Oh what a night!!!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Pistols at B'ham review - Oh what a night!!!

Post by saminblack »

Last night’s Sex Pistols gig was an absolute blast…and I am only just recovering.

The B’ham Academy is a great venue which has always felt quite roomy to me – until last night. The gig had sold out in a matter of minutes and although the venue holds about 3,000 it felt as though there were 5,000 folks in there. And they weren’t just a 'mixed' audience – this was (mainly) a really 'hardcore' audience of original punks in their 40s and although not the prettiest audience you have ever seen it felt like an authentic one if you know what I mean. Judging by some of the faded t-shirts, ill-fitting leather jackets and unconvincing Mohicans on view it seemed as if some of these fellas hadn’t been out for 30 years so they were determined to lap up every second... 8)

The atmosphere this lot created was truly incredible. There was no support act despite it being advertised that there was one and so we had to wait for 90 minutes or so before the Pistols hit the stage but even before they came on it was already feeling ‘snug’ in that there 'pit' and the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

It reached fever pitch as everyone started joining in singing with the backing music which happened to be a punk greatest hits. To see, hear and feel several thousand punk old timers singing along to London Calling, Teenage Kicks and Going Underground was a joy but I kept thinking – ‘blimey, if this is what it is like now what will happen when the band come on?’

Well, in a word it was a (white) riot. They came on the Vera Lynne’s version of ‘There’ll Always Be an England’ and launched straight into Pretty Vacant. At this point the crowd seemed to swell again and as every old punk in the Midlands (or so it seemed to me) tried to pogo again I felt like I was stuck in the biggest and most painful mosh pit I have ever encountered. It was one of those rare but precious gigs when you were drowned in sweat by the end of the first song – and I haven't been in one of those for years.

The music itself was fantastic. The thing is the Pistols didn’t actually write that many songs – and there was none of the Silly Thing/Swindle era stuff here as this was just music from the four originals – so they did their whole repertoire with notable highlights being the singles (obviously) plus storming versions of EMI and Bodies. Both were amazing.

God Save the Queen was also a particular jaw-dropping highlight (the 'No Future' chant almost took the roof off) but nothing (as you may expect) could top the final song of the encore – Anarchy.

I guess we could all agree that this is punk’s own national anthem, and it was quite moving for someone like me as a diehard timewarp punk aficionado to hear it live for the first time. Johnny Rotten (which he referred to himself as rather than John Lydon) had virtually lost his voice at this point and so the whole crowd just sang the words for him. This wasn’t one of those girly ‘get the lighters out and get the crowd to do a chorus’ moments aka Westlife this was legions of punk warriors screaming along with a passion that was as intense as it was (almost) scary. Magical moments.

Talking of Johnny, I have to say this guy was as mesmerising a front man as I have ever had the privilege to watch. You just cannot take your eyes off him and he looks as good now as he did 30 years ago. He is also incredibly funny and his banter between songs was hilarious. The crowd hung on his every word and he looked like he was having a ball.’ Not bad for a granddad’ he said at one point as a reminder that messrs Rotten, Matlock, Jones and Cook were over 200 years old between them and yet they played with the enthusiasm and excitement of a bunch of kids at their first youth club gig. I LOVED IT. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I also felt very proud to have my 14-year-old Ollie alongside me as he was probably the youngest person out on the 'floor' and certainly the smallest and yet I could see what it meant to him too. Everyone treated him with real respect and a couple of guys said they applauded me for bringing my son up the right way musically! I thought that was kinda cool.

What a fantastic night then. I didn't get to bed until 2ish this morning (I had to drive 120 miles back home) land I then had a really important meeting at 9am today to attend but it was all worth it. Sure, I wish I had seen them 30 years ago but at least I have done so now and it means (in my opinion) I can now say I have seen all the biggest and most important punk era bands live and I never thought that would happen as the Pistols were always missing from my live CV.

Top, top night, top, top, band. And I (still) mean it man…..
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great review Sam, echoes my own feelings about Brixton last year.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Thanks for the review Sam

Glad you and Ollie had such a great time !!
Claireinblack
kent
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Thanks, Sam.
Great review. :grin: 8)
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Fantastic review Sam!
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

Great review hope you wore your Stranglers t-shirts proudly 8)

As much as I love the Pistols,I still would'nt pay the silly money they are asking for tickets.But I hear nothing but good things about the gigs,to be honest I was expecting nothing but a cabaret act...how wrong you can be.
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

The gig was bloody amazing. I didn't know what to expect to be honest but the atmosphere was electric and the lads didn't disappoint. I agree with Sam, what an amazing front man Lydon/Rotton is. He had the crowd eating out of his hands. Great moment for me was the crowd singing Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside before they did Holidays in the Sun. Can't think of a gig with such an atmosphere.

Interesting sharing a train with Boyzone and Neil Diamond fans on the way there.

Thanks to Paul B for selling me the tickets
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Cola Can »

excellent read - glad to hear it was a fantastic night - thanks for the review!
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Another brilliant review Sam, cheers for sharing mate 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Excellent Sam and thank you. Sounds like it was quite a night. :grin:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

I really enjoyed reading that review. Thanks Sam.
suite 35
SHAKESPEARO

pistols review

Post by suite 35 »

Thanx for an excellent review sam. Sounds amazin, exactly like it was in glasgow in november. Goin to loch lomond in august where theyre headlinin, cant wait!!!!!
Cheers
Boab
I saw my love today, shes lookin old but so am i