punkr wrote: But what do I know....
As much as anybody else
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
MULLY wrote:.

The Ramones - their debut album definitely influenced the speed early bands of a similar ilk played. Image wise - a real influence on the scene. Didn't do cover versions - because they couldn't learn to play them!! Thats quite punk!! CONTENDERS.
No doubt The Ramones had their part to play in terms of influence but as for them not playing covers? Their career is littered with songs by other artists. 'Needles & Pins', 'Lets Dance', 'Baby I Love You' etc. That's even before we get to 'Acid Eaters' which was a complete albumof covers.

Apart from that, excellent post Mully although I also agree that you're a bit harsh on SLF.
I am aware of the later cover versions - I was referring to quotes from the band when they were first starting up (early CBGBs era).

And with regard SLF - I've previously made my feelings about the band known. Maybe a bit harsh - but its all true!!
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

MULLY wrote:
I am aware of the later cover versions - I was referring to quotes from the band when they were first starting up (early CBGBs era).

And with regard SLF - I've previously made my feelings about the band known. Maybe a bit harsh - but its all true!!
Well 'Lets Dance', for example appeared on the debut Ramones album (1976) so they soon changed their mind about covers.

Regarding SLF, whatever their origins I'll personally forgive them because they gave us 'Inflammable Material'. And at least 2 more good albums after that.
bry
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by bry »

surfin' bird was an early cover

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-
Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow

ThruBeingCool wrote:
MULLY wrote:

Well 'Lets Dance', for example appeared on the debut Ramones album (1976) so they soon changed their mind about covers.

Regarding SLF, whatever their origins I'll personally forgive them because they gave us 'Inflammable Material'. And at least 2 more good albums after that.
like a meteor, like to meet you!
henry moore
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by henry moore »

its gotta be the buzzcocks. devito,shelley.diggle rock!!! :smt020
take a tour around a henry moore
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Many votes for the Pistols then . Hardly surprising . For a spell I didn't like them at all ........ I thought of them as a gimmick . I like them these days ..... but has so much been written and said about a band that produced so little ? One album as a band , plus Rock'n'Roll swindle ....which was McLarens thing really .
All quiet ..........
Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

I think Killing Joke along with The Stranglers have an intensity and menace no other Punk band past or present could ever match......period!! :smt093
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Stranglers?

Punk?

I just re-read a fantastic description of them from Alan Edwards in a 2002 edition of Mojo,

""Their relationship with punk was a bit forced. They were more psychedelic warriors with a punk attitude."

Class :lol:

"
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Frank Castle wrote:I think Killing Joke along with The Stranglers have an intensity and menace no other Punk band past or present could ever match......period!! :smt093
I'd agree with that,Frank.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

"But is it not the DIY attitude that is the crowning glory of punk? Buy a guitar and do it yourself. You only need to learn a few chords and you’re away. And for me that philosophy should go for sport, TV, religion, art, whatever…don’t sit on the couch watching some arrogant overpaid asshole do it for you–use your own brain and see what you can create. That’s punk if you like."

Totally agree with that - in a nutshell.
Peteinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Peteinblack »

[SLF - oh dear, don't get me started on the K-Tel punk band from N.I. Bandwagon jumpers par excellence - previously a Heavy Metal/MOR Rock covers band - long hair and cheesecloth. Influenced by Henry Cluney to change styles, the original bassist left to be replaced by Ali Mac who actually did like punk. Originally played punk cover songs until spotted by an English journalist who, along with another local businessman, took over management. Although he says he didn't 'force' the change, took over lyric writing, image change, political stance - very McLaren-esque. Promotional ideas, photo-shoots all decisions were by 'da management', even made them head over to UK rather than remaining in Belfast - leading to the loss of another original member - all of which caused cries of derision from the home-based fans. Took other local bands on as support acts - but charged them for it!! Very punk rock!! Classic debut album admittedly - from a four-piece 'Eagles' who only managed to write two original songs on the album. If punk = originality, then they fail miserably. DONKEYS.

Funny you should say this Mully. My original band supported the Undertones a few years back and I have to say they were jolly nice chaps all round. Took us in their dressing room and gave us beer, food etc. Got talking to them about punk etc and they absolutely despised SLF with a passion. Quite took me a back really.

As regards to who or what were/are the best punk bands? Who knows, however I have heard a good arguement that the real punk bands were the ones who came a few years after in terms of being the real deal. Bands such as GBH, Discharge and the Exploited. These were kids who became punks in 1977 and then took it to its natural edge a few years later. Not my bag to be honest but you go anywhere in the world and you will always find kids wearing Exploited t-shirts. Hugely influential in the metal and hardcore scenes and still at it now.
Hello folks One Day I will be my old self again