Moderator: StanInBlack

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

THE UNDERTONES/S.A. - GOOD VIBES 30th BASH

Post by MULLY »

GOOD VIBRATIONS - 30th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT

THE UNDERTONES - SHAME ACADEMY - THE PANAMA KINGS plus SPECIAL GUESTS

The local media have been full of this story all week - the 30th Anniversary of the establishment of Good Vibrations Record label. Radio stations broadcasting interviews with Terri Hooley (the founder and recent Award winning owner of the shop from whence it all emminated) and Mickey Bradley from The Undertones, local press running articles for the preceding month about the cultural aftershock punk music had on the entertainment wasteland that was Ulster in the '70s and last night's local news programming all featuring reports on the gig. One of the most newsworthy items to have appeared from the general buzz relating to the event was a faxed letter from ex-President of Amer-i-KKK-a, Bill Jefferson Clinton, to the legend in his own lunchtime - the ole one-eyed wonder himself, Terri Hooley. But more of that later!!

The gig had been organised by Arthur Magee in commemoration of the label (and its founder) - bringing together 'the cream' of the label's recording artists, that is The Undertones and members of Rudi and The Outcasts (featuring here in the guise of Shame Academy), along side the newest media darlings, The Panama Kings. As well as the gig itself, other events had been organised to run throughout the day - an open topped bus-tour of Terri Hooley's Belfast and a special screening of the seminal Northern Irish punk movie 'Shellshock Rock' (at Queens Film Theatre). The bus tour would have been a good idea, except all the sites (sic) worth seeing are no longer in existence!! The Maritime Hotel (a '60s hippie haven where Terri used to DJ) - gone, bombed out in even pre-punk troubled times, Good Vibrations Record Shop in Great Victoria Street - gone, bankrupted in the early '80s, The Jazz Club - gone and The Harp Bar - gone, closed in the post punk comedown. As for Shellshock Rock - if you are a local punk from back in the day and you haven't seen this, then kill yourself now!! - but it was mooted that there were a number of Johnny Foreigners over from Germany, Italy and beyond, who no doubt enjoyed seeing this vintage footage (which has, as yet, not been made available for general release). Overall, I suppose both events would be insightful to the blow-in contingent attending the actual concert.

The gig itself was held in The Mandela Hall at Queens University (formerly known, in pre-political correctness times, as The McMordie Hall and scene of many a punk gig - including The Undertones in '78 ). Doors opened at 20:00 and as the aging punk throng milled about outside, having a last cigarette before entering, I headed through the main doors and proceeded down the stairs towards the venue. The last time I was here was to see the Manic Street Preachers, still accommodating the guitar playing (or lack off!!) from Richey, and it had had a long needed refurbishment - quite impressive on first viewing. I will be looking forward to catching The Stranglers here in October. As I reached the last few steps I was confronted by the main man himself, as usual he was half cut (obviously he had began celebrating from earlier in the day) and as he shook my hand, I was introduced to his daughter and her boyfriend, "This is the guy who has stolen my beautiful daughter, taken her off to Glasgow and got her into heroin and god knows what else". I looked over his shoulder, as she rolled her eyes, tutted and shook her head - obviously not the first time Terri has used that 'gem' to embarass her!! After wishing him well for the rest of the evening I departed his company, only to overhear him using the same line to the next group of people coming down the stairs!! I had interviewed Terri for the upcoming BUT3 PDF and found him a charming raconteur, but was warned that he doesn't like letting the truth get in the way of a good story. Anyway, at the bottom of the stairs, and just outside the doors to the hall, the merchandise stall was set-up for business - selling posters (a limited number signed by all the bands and Terri - but £20 seemed somewhat steep!!), Terri's cover version of 'Big Time' CD and a range of T-shirts to celebrate the event (but they really looked shit). I thought about getting one anyway for prosperity, but having left it until coming out after the concert was over - not surprisingly, all the XL ones had gone and the best looking one was sold out - so I left empty-handed.

After getting a drink from the bar and picking the spot I intended to watch from, the hall slowly begin to fill up. A number of faces from the past filtered by and nods of recognition were exchanged, but no-one I knew well enough to engage in conversation. As more people came in, I noticed there were a few younger faces in the crowd - some by themselves, but an increasing number were obviously accompanying their parents - no doubt wishing to witness what they had been brought up listening to!! John T Davis , the director and film-maker, who had produced 'Shellshock' was seen wandering around followed by an intrepid troupe of camera-men. I had spoken to him before at last year's remastered screening of his film and asked if he was here to do a similar job on this event. He smiled, shrugged in his dishevelled demeanour and stated, " Its all a work in progress". Right then, whatever!!

Soon enough the proceedings got under way as Stuart Bailie (ex-music journo and current radio presenter) came onstage to introduce the event. Stuart, who has a love-hate relationship with Terri (as do most!!) - but does hold a certain amount of respect for his achievements - explained why we were all here and plugged another associated project which was also benefitting from tonight's support. Its the 'Oh Yeah' project which supports upcoming music artists in Belfast - offering advice, recording studio, rehearsal space and which has recently released a compilation CD of local bands. Part of which were the first band in tonight's line-up - The Panama Kings.

I knew from the promotion that they were kicking the evening off and had sought out some background. They appeared on a local TV show (ATL TV - the visual offshoot of a local radio programme 'Across The Line') and on first view/listen I was not overly impressed. They had been likened to The Pixies on the show - but I couldn't see it from that night's performance, however tonight, they were really on form. I could see where the comparisions were being drawn - although I would say an Orange Juice/Pixies cross pollination of influence was more descriptive (if you can imagine that!!). A four-piece with a drummer and lead guitarist who look as though they were out past their bed-times but they could really kick ass!! For the first number the lead guitarist played keyboards that sounded like a Bontempi organ, but for the remainder of the set stuck with his geetar - offsetting the singer's rhythym guitar work perfectly. The be-suited, bespectacled bass player stood stage right - but for two of the numbers also played another set of keyboards - pumping out the basslines in a Kraftwerk stylee - odd, but somehow befitting of the songs. I didn't manage to catch any song titles but a few of the set-list really got my foot tapping - an interesting post-punk derivative. As hard as the vocalist tried to get some crowd inter-action going, the audience were reluctant to be drawn in, however each number was met with applause and overall they did receive a good reception.

Next up after a brief introduction was Mr Hooley - the legend in person. He was accompanied onstage by his friend Michael who strapped on a guitar as Terri gave us a few words about Good Vibrations. Thirty years since it all began and the importance of it all to the scene back in the early punk days. He also went on to mention his family and how eight years ago his son was born, but it was also eight years ago he was beaten up and left for dead by Johnny Adair's bully boys. (J Adair was an infamous loyalist paramilitary who became too big for his boots and forced out off N.I. by his own organisation - but was also, in his chequered history, lead singer with a neo-nazi Oi band!!). "I'm still here, where the fuck are you Johnny!!" Cheers from the by now full-house. He went on to talk about how greedy property developers had burnt down the North Street Arcade, where his re-risen record shop - Phoenix Records (ironic or what?) was situated, ultimately destroying all the historic archives that remained of the original Good Vibrations Record label - 45s, posters, etc... all were destroyed in the resulting 'arson'. As the guitarist started a simple three chord rep, Terri announced this poem is dedicated to those property developers..."Hey Mister". The general gist of which was the Mister in the title couldn't spare the time, wouldn't spare any money - he had polluted the sea with oil, etc.. and so ..."I will remove the 'mister' from your name, and replace it with BASTARD - cos YOU put put US to shame". Long liveth the anarchist hippie - the one and only Mr Terri Hooley.

Shame Academy were up next and I made my way towards the front of the stage. Belfast's favourite sons Brian (ex-Rudi) and Greg (ex-Outcasts) accompanied by Petesy on drums came on - evidently wearing eye-liner make-up!! Either a hark back to those heady '77/'78 punkster days or (as I was later informed) due to the cameras. Immediately they started straight into 'Excitement' a Rudi rave from the grave, as behind me twenty-two tons of middle-aged prime-punk beef commenced pogo-ing for at least half the song, before premature heart-attacks threatened and rivers of sweat poured down their balding pates!! During the song, things on stage were not quite right - Brian and Greg were beckoning to each other and to the side of the stage. On finishing Brian called to the sound desk that the front monitors weren't working "I can't hear a fuckin' thing". Regardless the show must go on, as they continued reliving teenage dreams and trashed their way through the Rudi/Outcast Good Vibes back catalogue - alternating between the two sets of songs - 'I-Spy', 'Teenage Rebel', 'The Pressures On', 'Self Conscious Over You'. Just as the sound problem was fixed Greg's bass packed in, came on again and then gave up once more. He struggled throughout the rest of the set, having to hit it on more than one occassion!! Despite all the technical problems, the fact they forgot to sort out a set-list and had to decide on the songs before playing them(!!) and several mistakes with forgotten lyrics, missed beats et al, the guys were really enjoying themselves - shout outs to members of the audience they hadn't seen for years and general onstage banter. Before starting into 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' (a mid-set filler), Petesy dedicated it to "Nancy Sinatra, the original punk. She taught Johnny Thunders everything" - a jibe at Brian, who is a Thunders/Dolls fanatic. It was also announced that the band will be headlining the Rock Against Racism anniversary gig next week, requesting support for that cause. Greg responded, "I'll be there. I support any cause that sends them immigrants back home!!" Obviously a joke - but the ripple running through the crowd made him hastily state it was only a joke. It certainly tickled Petesy's funny bone as he could be seen giggling behind the drum-kit. Bill Clinton's letter to Terri also got a side-swipe, as we were informed that he had also sent over a case of cigars - but "Terri hasn't smoked them 'cos they smelt a bit fishy!!" The crowd had learnt their lesson from the opening number and had calmed down somewhat - but that was all set to change as the band launched into the first single released on Good Vibes label. As soon as the opening riff from 'Big Time' rang out, everyone was jumping, punching the air and singing the lyrics. The same thing to 'You're A Disease'. The set finished with 'Cops' and they were off. Probably not the finest performance I have seen Shame Academy play - not helped by a set interspersed with technical difficulties and a somewhat shortened set-list, but still a crowd pleaser. As we all headed to either the bar for liquid refreshment or outside to fill our lungs with nicotine laced smoke, the stage was being cleared for the headliners.

Before The Undertones made their appearance, it was time for one of the listed 'special guests' to do their thing. Rumours and press reports had named a number of 'celebs' who would be turning up to support the event - it all sounded a bit crass to me, but in the end only one actually made it. To be fair the others who had been initially lined up couldn't make it in the end - Gary Lightbody (Snow Patrol) had other recording commitments and Sheila Peel (wife of DJ John) had to finish writing her book and the publisher's wouldn't extend the deadline. She did however send a message of support and would be listening to the gig through the marvels of modern technology (supposedly!!) It has been reported that John Peel used to get 20% of all his mail from Northern Ireland alone - because everyone was afraid to go out after dark and all the kids had to listen to was his show. The crowd were asked to give her a round of applause - all this was relayed to us by the one guest who did make it onto the stage - James Nesbitt. He was roundly welcomed onstage with a chant of "Who are Ya, Who are Ya" - fair play, he took it all on his chin(s) and eventually won the crowd over. He read out the letter from Clinton - which was admittedly a nice touch - mentioning the part punk music had played in bringing the two sides of the community together during the height of The Troubles, but somewhat pompous by going on to highlight the part he had played in bringing peace with the signing off The Good Friday Agreement. Nesbitt went on to talk about football (yeah, I'm down with the lads) and talking about Good Vibrations Records - the shop in the attic. Sitting as a 13 year old boy, up in Coleraine, listening to 'Get Over You' in his mates bedroom and thanked John O'Neill for writing 'Jimmy, Jimmy' for him, even though he had never even met that teenage boy. And then he introduced The Undertones - as they walked onto the stage there was some hugging and general back-slapping before Jimmy exited stage left.

The crowd milled forward as the Pride of Derry started into 'Jump Boys' - a pogoing frenzy, although notably filled with the younger members of the audience, as the older contingent were more apparent standing towards the sides and at the back of the hall. The set, the majority of which was drawn from their self-titled first album - 'Runaround', 'Here Comes The Summer', Family Entertainment', 'Girls Don't Like It', 'Jimmy Jimmy', I Know A Girl', plus 'Teenage Kicks' and 'Get Over You' - also featured five or so tracks from their recent album - 'Dig Yourself Deep', 'I'm Recommending Me', 'Here Comes The Rain', 'Him Not Me' and 'So Close' - and a couple of their hit singles - including 'Wednesday Week', 'When Saturday Comes' (dedicated to James Nesbitt, for his football banter earlier and for Chelsea), 'Perfect Cousin', 'Its Going To Happen', 'Ive Got Your Number..' and 'Hypnotised'. The band really worked the audience - clearly enjoying themselves as they performed, the onstage banter and rapport with the crowd was near perfection. This was my first time seeing the 'new' singer Paul McAloone and I thought he fitted into the band very well - he seemed to be enjoying it the most - dancing and playing up to the audience. He does sing the early songs with an understated Sharkey warble - but befitting of the songs and his own singing style. Mickey was also in good form and participated in most of the between song chat, as he and Paul were stood between the O'Neill brother book-ends, both wearing John Lennon shades and looking dwarved by their guitars. During the set, someone in the audience ran through the crowd holding up a hand made cardboard banner (which I was initially unable to read) but which had the band laughing mid-song. It later transpired to be a request for a song later played in the encore - so I'll return to that incident. As an intro to one of the songs, Mickey said, "This song was one Terri Hooley wrote and even though we didn't really rate it, we recorded it anyway - Thats right Damian, isn't it?". As Damian was still laughing at that, the band started into 'Teenage Kicks'. Just before the hour was up, they were playing the last song - but you just knew there was going to be an encore.Within a matter of minutes - before the crowd even had the chance to feel agitated and start chanting for their return - The Undertones retook the stage to a raptorous reception. The encore featured four numbers (two fittingly from the original Teenage kicks E.P. released on Good Vibrations Records), 'Male Model', 'True Confessions', 'Smarter Than U' and, as the cardboard sign was called up onto the stage, 'Mars Bars'. Mickey placed the sign in front of the bass drum and it featured an actual Mars advert with 'I WANT A..' written in felt-tip above it. During the drum intro to 'True Confessions', Mickey and Damian started chanting 'Terri Hooley, Terri Hooley' in time to the beat and the audience immediately joined in.

As the house lights came up and the crowd began to file out into the night, I bumped into Brian in the foyer. Stopping for a chat, I was offered free tickets for the RAR gig on Wednesday - RESULT. Only trouble is, it clashes with the Champion League semi-final second leg, but it would have been rude to turn the offer down. I'll try an make it down to The Spring & Airbrake after the final whistle - as long as the right result comes to pass.

So, another night reliving my punk youth in Belfast has past - a great night - and as I headed home with my ears still ringing, I will be putting on my old Good Vibes 45s and reading each fold-out sleeve with re-newed enthusiasm.

FOOTNOTE: On one of the radio shows promoting the event, local broadcaster Gerry Anderson was interviewing Mickey Bradley (who currently works as one of the producers on Gerry's show). Talking about Sheila Peel attending the gig with The Undertones, their connection with John Peel and his love of 'Teenage Kicks', Gerry mentioned that he read John had a line from an Undertone song inscribed on his headstone. Deadpan and without missing a beat, Mickey replied, "Yeah - I've got a cousin called Kevin" !!!
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

FORUMS GOLD!

Simply a superb account/post.

Mully IS da man! Respeck!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Excellent Mully - I need to revisit me Shellshock Rock (bootleg) DVD. That new Undertones album is pretty damn fine as well

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

MEGA-POST!
Thanks a lot, enjoyed reading it.
euromanc-ometh
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Glad you had a good one Muls. And True Confessions I woulda loved to have heard.

:grin:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Mully - that is a fantastic post. Glad you had a good evening.

:smt023
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Great post there Graeme

Excellent

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Last time I spoke to Terri Hooley he was asking for his sombrero back, which, half-cut, he'd frisbee'd along the line of us waiting at passport control in Majorca and whacked me on the back on the head!
:grin:

Fakkin' eejit.
rotten thoughts
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Brilliant stuff , Tolstoy :lol:

Any chance of a review? :grin:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

Excellent post Mully, really enjoyed reading it. Thanks. 8)

Paul
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Thanks for the review and trip down memory lane, Mully. James Nesbitt lived along the road from me in Coleraine, and he was only a wee lad when I was pogoing at Tones gigs. I reckon he was more likely to have been buying Wombles records at the time. :twisted:
jamesgreenfield
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by jamesgreenfield »

A shame there was no Shock Treatment re-union. A redition of Belfast Telegraph or Big Check Shirts would have we got on the HSS for a piss up.