2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 10:00 Ok I'll make it easy for you - what's the song called?

Jim
Wouldn't know - I refuse to watch or listen to this band in any form .
[/quote]
It's general , all songs where Campbell sings - fake accent but obviously to you with Brummie twang . Reason I don't pick up the Brum bit is because I'm from there , a bit like when I moved south where I now live , everyone sounded like Cockney , I couldn't distinguish but people from Colchester would be offended by being referred as Cockney .Being Brummie and knowing a fair few black people
I know how they talk there and Campbell puts it on when singing (not spoken word) , renown for it in Brum though I thought it was a thing everyone thought . Hope that explains it . My main gripe is the songs others have written that this lot destroyed . At least Stranglers covers were true or respectful to the original , well maybe not so much Summer in the City ..........but you know what I mean . Now ...........I don't want thoughts of UB40 in my head anymore . It's the weekend and I intend to enjoy it .
All quiet ..........
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Is the UB40 tribute band called WD40. If it isn't then it should be.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It would be boring if we all liked the same music, UB40 were quite good at start, but as others have said, it was covers that made them huge, it seems most people like MOR, you could say that of the Stranglers with GB but I think that song was radical, using Harpsichord and odd time signature, I really love GB and appreciate it even more now as Dave came up with the melody with that left over riff from second coming? I do remember that the Stranglers were great on the UB40 tour, was with a girlfriend at time, who said she loved it, then after we split she said she hated the gig, oh dear story of my life with women, they all hate the Stranglers. Lt Kudu on another date tomorrow.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 20:18 they all hate the Stranglers. Lt Kudu on another date tomorrow.
Lt Kudu, everyone hates The Stranglers (apart from us loyal fans who were there from the beginning) and that’s one of many reasons we love em so much. The haters will never win.

If The Stranglers were a Football team they would be Millwall or (Leeds Utd, Ouch! maybe!)
If they were comedians (Hugh certainly is!) they would be Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson.
(These above comparisons could be a thread of their own)

It’s a shame all these Politically-Correct-Social Justice Warrior-Snowflake-Antifa’s are trying to change The Stranglers into a Michael McIntyre type act, the most annoyingly inoffensive ‘comedian’ who is so inoffensive it actually makes him quite offensive.
:lol:

UB40?
I can think of worse but I won’t.
:smile:
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 22 Aug 2020, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 21:56
Greatkudu wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 20:18 they all hate the Stranglers. Lt Kudu on another date tomorrow.
Lt Kudu, everyone hates The Stranglers apart from some us loyal fans who were there from the beginning and that’s one of many reasons we love em so much.

If The Stranglers were a Football team they would be Millwall or (Leeds Utd, Ouch! maybe!)
If they were comedians (Hugh certainly is!) they would be Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson.
(These above comparisons could be a thread of their own)

It’s a shame all these Politically-Correct-Social Justice Warrior-Snowflake-Antifa’s are trying to change The Stranglers into a Michael McIntyre type act, the most annoyingly inoffensive ‘comedian’ who is so inoffensive it actually makes him quite offensive.
:lol:

UB40?
I can think of worse but I won’t.
:smile:
Yes Stranglers are like marmite, you either love or hate the music, but the Stranglers were never boring and created some amazing music that we love so much. Lt Kudu.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Thinking about it , which I haven't been ...........whoever found this lot should be taken to International court and tried with attrocities against humankind .
All quiet ..........
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I love UB40 more than The Stranglers.
I hope there’s 3 versions of UB40 in 2022.