What string gauge are you using on your electric guitar?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

What string gauge are you using on your electric guitar?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

As from today I am using 12's on my electric guitars -

12-16-24(W)-32-42-52

I was originally using Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings (10's) for years then switched to Gibsons Vintage Reissue (11's) but due to financial difficulties had to look for a cheaper set of strings but also a reliable one and have settled on Rotosound (12's - Roto Purples)

Now then I'll tell yer anyone using 9's or even 10's is a homosexual and a total wimp.
11's is kinda like borderline homosexual/ wimpville-city.
12's are where it's at man, just try em.
Anything less and your tone just sucks.
:grin:

suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Re: What string gauge are you using on your electric guitar?

Post by suchi »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:As from today I am using 12's on my electric guitars -

12-16-24(W)-32-42-52

I was originally using Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings for years then switched to Gibsons Vintage Reissue 11's but due to financial difficulties had to look for a cheaper set of strings but also a reliable one and have settled on Rotosound 12's (Roto Purples)

Now then I'll tell yer anyone using 9's or even 10's is a homosexual.
11's is kinda like borderline homosexual.
12's are where it's at man, just try em.
Anything less and your tone just sucks.
:grin:
Hi, I'm a homosexual.

Used to use Rotosound 12's years ago. They weren't called purples then and Huge used 'em. Found they used to rust dead quick and loose the tone and they used to hurt mi tender fingers.

Then I became a borderline homo with the 11's about 10 years ago. used Fender 11's for a while...

Now I'm a fully blown homo and use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys; 10 13, 17, 26, 36, 46.
I buy 'em in bulk 24 sets a time off ebay from a florida company, take less than a week to arriva free postage too....work out about £2.99 a set which is pretty VFM when ya pay well over £5 a set in the UK.

How often do ya change 'em I can usually get a couple of gigs out of a set then they go twang..... Might try some 12s haven't played any for years. Give us a set then.... :grin:
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
Mitch K
Rats Rally

Post by Mitch K »

Fook me!................so each of the six are different??

No wonder I sound shoite :shock:
Robinson Crusoe - worked hard all week and was buggered by Friday
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

I use Rotosound Pinks (9s) on the Vantage (that's Vantage not Vintage - a short lived Yamaha off-shoot produced around 1980) and Rotosound Yellows (10s) on the Ibanez, Fender Bullet 9s on the Strat and Ernie Ball 11s on the Ovation so I must be a complete girl in A S-G's eyes :smt061

The A string in a set of Purples is the size of the E string on my Pinks - how can you play with such hawsers?!

Is JJ still "sponsored" by Rotosound? I'm sure he did some newspaper/magazine ads for them at one stage.
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

The Ovation is, of course, an electro-accoustic which probably makes using 11s on it even more gay! :smt050
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
adam_neil
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adam_neil »

I think 10's more or less suffice on an electric. It's what I use these days. Don't play much slide any more either so I dropped down a gauge.

And ASG you think 9's are bad! I had a mate who used 8's - now that is ZERO tone. Awful.

Like Suchi I gave a Rotosounds a go years back and also found they rusted extremely quickly, I must say I was surprised - Hugh & JJ both endorse them, I bet Hugh gets thro a different set every night on a tour. Very average strings IMO.

The worst brand I ever used though were called 'Infeld'. A bit more pricey than yer average fiver - they looked (packaging wise) and performed as if they were from the effing Pound Shop! Dreadful.

The strings I've been using the last few years mainly are D Addario XL 10's. Flirted a couple of times with Elixir's - they always come highly recommended and they may last ages but on an electric they somehow don't feel right to me (great on acoustics though) so I generally stick with the D Addario's.

Out of interest how often do you guys re-string on average?

I was replacing them every fornight or so until I got pointed in the direction of String Cleaner bottles made by D'Andrea, they really do help prolong the life of the strings.

Now I whack on a new set about every 6 weeks. :wink:

Adam
Tried to wipe you from my memory
I miss the pleasure of your company
johnnyg1968

Post by johnnyg1968 »

I use rotosound yellows (10s) ad they are fine i used to use d'addario 11s but the rotosounds seem to last longer and have better tone. I change my strings once every four weeks depending how often i play my guitar
"THE OTHER NIGHT I CHANCED UPON AN IRATE CATERPILLAR"
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

I too am a raving heemasex, by that criterion. :grin:

Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, 9 - 42 What are you using for fingers, Arthur... steel pincers? :?
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Alias - I bought another set of D'Addario Custom Lights for the electro acoustic and we are back in business. :grin:

Also bought a set of Rotosound Medium JK13s for in reserve. 8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

What else would you have on a black explorer apart from earnie ball custome gauge 11 strings like the main man himself 8)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I too am gay - 9 onwards for me. Mind you ain't played for years now so my homo days are behind me (excuse the pun). These days I'm more full gauge (in your missus face)

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

been up some cunning stunts jim? :lol: