Things you fecken hate..........

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Things you fecken hate..........

Post by cerdan6899 »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 31 May 2021, 13:13 I stopped competitive football in the early -mid 90's , mainly because I was picking up niggles that were interfering with my running..... I was in a club for running and was better at that than football , could run at a decent level ( under 30 mins for 5 miles back then a few times......not now !!!!!) . Running then became my choice , football was for fun but picking up niggles made it not so much fun .I guess what really did it was picking up 4 niggles in a match two weeks before I was due to do Nottingham half and it looked doubtful , I rested the two weeks , no excercise at all and did a best ever then of 1hr 25 mins . Now .....the running I do is just for fun , if I feel like it .Do more walking now in as scenic as possible places...........last week in Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire non a break.......Wyre Forest and Mortimer's Forest .Lovely scenery and nice hilly walks .I did race in Mortimer's about 10 years ago and looking at parts now , I really don't know how I did it ....looks worse now than then , one section was actually frightening now , back then both me and girlfriend just did it , no thought at all. Guess we are getting older and more careful . Now .....I hate that 😁, just to keep in line with the thread .
My knees gave up a long time ago. Fortunately i live between the sea and the mountain. Walking i'm told is as good as anything ( for my age ) so i'm able to stay on the flat on the promenade or go up to the mountain if i'm up for it. Oh and yes keeping in line with the thread....dog owners who know they're dogs are making a mess but pretend to be on their phones so they don't have to clean up.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Another ad , this time the William Hill one on radio .I am totally fed up of hearing Sweet Caroline , even England fans were singing it apparently for some reason in Euros . Just fed up of it being on almost every we break on Talksport , radio goes off now before it even gets into the ad .
I am sure these ads are invented just to annoy ......National Lottery "someone's knocking at the door " .........Just eat .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:Another ad , this time the William Hill one on radio .I am totally fed up of hearing Sweet Caroline , even England fans were singing it apparently for some reason in Euros . Just fed up of it being on almost every we break on Talksport , radio goes off now before it even gets into the ad .
I am sure these ads are invented just to annoy ......National Lottery "someone's knocking at the door " .........Just eat .
I have to agree with you about Sweet Caroline god that is really getting on my nerves now, especially the bit where they zoom in on pissed up twats shouting out "touching me touching you", just an awful site.
I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

It lasts a fraction of a second in my car , radio off before the words start and not on again until it's safe ......ie ad has ended .
All quiet ..........
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Unbelievable :?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:Unbelievable :?
That is!! We were a Naval Power...that's History.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Post by 8088 »

Apart from the separate British=dirty word argument, surely when they started as a band, they specifically choose that name for the connotations - and probably like every other rational person, the notion of Colonialism/racism never even entered their heads...probably too busy remembering watching black and white Jack Hawkins and John Mills films with their dads as kids.....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Pretty much - they were doing it as a bit of a piss take but it's kinda kicked them in the arse. Good move IMO not so sure about "Sea Power" though.

Jim
8088 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:03 Apart from the separate British=dirty word argument, surely when they started as a band, they specifically choose that name for the connotations - and probably like every other rational person, the notion of Colonialism/racism never even entered their heads...probably too busy remembering watching black and white Jack Hawkins and John Mills films with their dads as kids.....
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:06 Pretty much - they were doing it as a bit of a piss take but it's kinda kicked them in the arse. Good move IMO not so sure about "Sea Power" though.

Jim
8088 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:03 Apart from the separate British=dirty word argument, surely when they started as a band, they specifically choose that name for the connotations - and probably like every other rational person, the notion of Colonialism/racism never even entered their heads...probably too busy remembering watching black and white Jack Hawkins and John Mills films with their dads as kids.....
So, only being a casual listener, you're saying they chose that name as a piss take of the generation that was proud of enduring WWII - enough to raise families that brought them into being and give them a relatively good life?

And can you explain why it's a good idea? Presumably in the name of equality, all other countries must drop their descriptive adjectives too?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nope. The full text is here....

"After much reflection and soul-searching, the band formerly known as British Sea Power have modified their name to simply Sea Power. We’ve been British Sea Power for 20 years – an amazing 20 years, when we’ve been able to continually traverse the British Isles, to travel the world, encountering many friendly faces, not least in the band’s remarkable audience. But the name British Sea Power had come to feel constricting, like an ancient legacy we were carrying with us. When we came up with the name British Sea Power there were at least two different lines of thought behind it. There was, literally, sea power – the elementary power of the oceans. Alongside this was the historical idea of “British sea power” – Britannia ruling the waves; the naval power that once allowed Britain to dominate the world. When we came up with the original band name, Britain no longer ruled the seas. The band name was intended with a kind of wry humour. The idea of British sea power in the historical sense was an obsolete thing. It was now just the name of a rock band… Now, 20 years later, we’re recasting the name. In recent times there’s been a rise in a certain kind of nationalism in this world – an isolationist, antagonistic nationalism that we don’t want to run any risk of being confused with. It’s become apparent that it’s possible to misapprehend the name British Sea Power, particularly if someone isn’t familiar with the band or their recordings. We’ve always been internationalist in our mindset, something made clear in songs like Waving Flags, an anthem to pan-European idealism. We always wanted to be an internationalist band but maybe having a specific nation state in our name wasn’t the cleverest way to demonstrate that. We very much hope the band’s audience won’t be affronted by this adjustment to the name. We’d like to make it clear that removing the word “British” does NOT indicate any aversion to the British Isles whatsoever. We all feel immensely fortunate to have grown up in these islands. Several or our songs are filled with love and awe for this place. We do love these lands. We all still live within the British Isles, but we are now just Sea Power. We feel the name change comes in part from the band’s audience – who at a good show will shout out, “Sea Power! Sea Power!” Maybe this name change has been there for years, shouted in our ears. It’s just taken us this long to realise – to hear what was there in front of us…"

Jim
8088 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:14
theraven1979 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:06 Pretty much - they were doing it as a bit of a piss take but it's kinda kicked them in the arse. Good move IMO not so sure about "Sea Power" though.

Jim
So, only being a casual listener, you're saying they chose that name as a piss take of the generation that was proud of enduring WWII - enough to raise families that brought them into being and give them a relatively good life?

And can you explain why it's a good idea? Presumably in the name of equality, all other countries must drop their descriptive adjectives too?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

They sound like a really dull bunch.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.