Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Magazine - Howard Devoto

Post by philjxn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p58kCYsiwt0

The pride of manchester. Always underrated any luxuria fans on here ?
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

I loved Luxuria. "Beast Box" is one of my favourite albums of all time. Devoto was such a great lyricist and his lyrics shine on that album. Brilliantly inventive and totally superb. Haven't heard "Unanswerable Lust" for a long while, as I don't have it on CD, but it was also a strong album. Doesn't touch "Beast Box" though.

Of course, can't forget Magazine either ("Secondhand Daylight" is sublime), and also "Jerky Versions of the Dream" which I also love. A true genuis.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

'Unanswerable Lust' is spinning on the turntable at the moment, a really great album, I prefer it to 'Beast Box'.

I saw Luxuria at the T&C club, they were brilliant, Adamson on Bass ripping through 'The Light Pours Out Of Me, Morrissey reading the proust intro to Mlle and Devoto was absolutely awesome. I'd love to find a recording of that gig.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

for what its worth...a lot in common with stranglers mk1...a) very hard to pigeonhole ...are they punk are they new wave are they,,,blah blah b) both bands had shit-hot bassists and great keyboard players, c) both bands had (and with jj have) singers who have a stage presence that can fill a hall regardless of the number of people in it. d) took risks and wrote lyrics that were clever unconventional and were not in the early years chasing the filthy lucre over content..

a fine mix - pity they never appeared on the same set list....or maybe they did >>>>i am sure some anorak will correct me......

puts on his coat...and zips it up.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
banshee
SHAKESPEARO

Post by banshee »

brilliant youtube.loved them :grin:
just take a walk through the trees!!!
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

They played a great Magazine session track on 6music this afternoon, but I did'nt catch the title. I have only ever heard Shot By Both sides before, so can anyone recommend a CD of theirs I should buy?
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Hammer wrote:They played a great Magazine session track on 6music this afternoon, but I did'nt catch the title. I have only ever heard Shot By Both sides before, so can anyone recommend a CD of theirs I should buy?
Real Life

The Correct Use of Soap

Secondhand Daylight

"Play" (live album-an absolute must)
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Bear Cage wrote:'Unanswerable Lust' is spinning on the turntable at the moment, a really great album, I prefer it to 'Beast Box'.

I saw Luxuria at the T&C club, they were brilliant, Adamson on Bass ripping through 'The Light Pours Out Of Me, Morrissey reading the proust intro to Mlle and Devoto was absolutely awesome. I'd love to find a recording of that gig.
I agree - brilliant.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Also, "Magic, Murder & The Weather"

Jim
Bubba wrote:
Hammer wrote:They played a great Magazine session track on 6music this afternoon, but I did'nt catch the title. I have only ever heard Shot By Both sides before, so can anyone recommend a CD of theirs I should buy?
Real Life

The Correct Use of Soap

Secondhand Daylight

"Play" (live album-an absolute must)
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Thanks folks, sounds like all their albums were good. I can get hold of most of those, Play is just £4 on Amazon. :grin:
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

[quote="philjxn"]for what its worth...a lot in common with stranglers mk1...a) very hard to pigeonhole ...are they punk are they new wave are they,,,blah blah b) both bands had shit-hot bassists and great keyboard players, c) both bands had (and with jj have) singers who have a stage presence that can fill a hall regardless of the number of people in it. d) took risks and wrote lyrics that were clever unconventional and were not in the early years chasing the filthy lucre over content..

IMHO John McGeoch was a genius I could listen to McGeoch's playing, particularly when he was with the Banshees, all day.

RIP :cry:
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Play for £4 !!! an absolute steal ! Buy it. I love the way "Parade" starts on that album with the piano part - It's a gig in Melbourne if memory serves

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"