A view from Tehran

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

A view from Tehran

Post by Cola Can »

We've had an Iranian lad (he's 18) staying with us for 14 months now. He's learning English over here and his parents came over in the summer and are comng back again in the Spring. They are lovely, ordinary people.

When you read the papers or watch the news bear this mind.

We had a Christmas card from them. Who would have thought it was even possible to buy a Christmas card in Iran?

His father has a Christian working for him and he allows him the week off to celebrate Christmas. Our young lad couldn't remember when Christmas actually was. (Do you know when Ramadan is?)

He couldn't go home because he would have been conscripted into the army. Once he is at University he can get out of the service if they pay $8,000.

Although Western films are banned from cinemas, they have satellitte TV and watch the BBC.

I'm not making a judgement here just redressing the balance. If we think their PM is mad no wonder they think Blair is too. A lot of the crap is entirely down to power mad politicians. You and me are just too busy earning a living.
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

The world would be a better place without the nutters in charge. On a human scale, people seem to naturally get on and find mutual beliefs and shared values. I am reminded of the soldiers climbing out of the trenches on Christmas day in 1914 for a game of football, and finding the "enemy" to be just ordinary blokes with girlfriends and wifes, when the high command found out about it they were outraged and ordered them back to the trenches to resume the slaughter.
The media also has much to answer for in shaping our views of others.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Does anyone actually know 'the truth' about anything these days? It is only ever someone elses viewpoint that we get fed as 'news'. Impartiality went out the window many moons ago, even the BBC are guilty nowadays too. As Hugh once said: "The truth is dependent upon where you stand". Good point that Hugh.

Trust nobody and go on your instincts when it comes to worldwide politics and war. We all know the west versus the east thing is just a corrupt attempt by the west to aquire oil.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There is never one version of the truth

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mazec
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mazec »

Glad to hear some down to earth perspectives on Iran. I agree with the above posts - the media and politicians have put so much effort into demonizing Iran that it seems to lead many people to believe that the everyday people in that country must be barbarians as well.

Which is a shame, since they're hardly in a position to do anything about their government (neither are we for the most part, come to think of it). In Germany and the Czech Republic, by the way, I've met many Iranians who were completely fed up with their government and decided to vote with their feet by moving to Europe.

Hopefully the situation will improve over there some day without a bloody US "regime change" intervention like Bush has been on about.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Makes you realise how fuckin lucky we all are in our Safe European Homes.

One of my best holidays was in Yugoslavia in 84' beautiful place then look what happened.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote:Makes you realise how fuckin lucky we all are in our Safe European Homes.

One of my best holidays was in Yugoslavia in 84' beautiful place then look what happened.

Jim
Weird, I was on holiday in Yugoslavia in '82/'83 (Can't remember which, but I've got a Feline Tour T-shirt on in the photies).
Small world indeed.
I remember seeing a news report on C4 last year about Iran, and how they were sending all their historical treasures to museums and galleries around the globe in a (probably sadly futile) attempt to try and show the rest of the world what history, culture and art the people of Iran had/have, in the misguided hope that the people of the world would see past the demonising of their country and mibee not stand for the their immenent bombing back into the stoneage.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

From where I stand, there's only one evil force masquerading under the banner of 'good will' these days and that's us and the yanks. Granted we do some fine work around the globe but when it comes tothe middle east I become very ashamed of my homeland's behaviour.
Scoot
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Scoot »

Good thread, guys. As many of you will know from my recent post about Saddam (and why he should not have been executed despite his obvious 'guilt'), my wife is Iranian and so I have a totally different perspective on things. I spent three weeks in Iran a couple of years ago and am going again this summer and can tell you that it's a glorious country bar the motorists (absolutely manic!). Yes, the people are different because the culture's different - a universal truth - but the commonality amongst all cultures, in general, is the desire to live life in peace and empowerment/freedom; thus, I can assure you that no one I met in Iran - and I met plenty - was anti-European, and that most were much more concerned about the lack of liberty imposed by their government. 'The stranglers' were so right when they questioned whether the people would be set free after the revolution - we have seen, we have seen! Scott, Scott a-go-go!
Scoot
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Scoot »

PS One for Jim - I get this weird message if I take too long in replying:

Mistake! There was an attempt of an automatic insert of the message in a forum. Your message is sent to hell. Try still times who knows - can it will turn out? Still probably, that you too long wrote the message - then pass to page back, copy the text, update page, insert the copied text and press button "Send".

I can understand the first three sentences (especially the third!) but then I lose it! Scott.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Sounds like a pissed up Jim maintenance message! :lol:
Scoot
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Scoot »

:lol: :lol: