243 active users - 700 members

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

243 active users - 700 members

Post by theraven1979 »

Do I delete the inactive users? Maybe I should make the forums readable only to members? Any ideas?

Would maybe be a good idea to get a true representation of how many active fans there are?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Can you still note how many visitors there are at the moment Jim? That is the better representation of interest IMHO. A lot of active fans (in the general sense) could be put off by a 'subscribe to read' website.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it Jim.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 243 active users - 700 members

Post by PaulinLondon »

theraven1979 wrote:Do I delete the inactive users? Maybe I should make the forums readable only to members? Any ideas?

Would maybe be a good idea to get a true representation of how many active fans there are?

Jim
It's a fair old flock you've got here Jim. Tricky one tho, I agree. Maybe hold tight til either a new single comes out or the summer gigs are upon and see which hibernators wake up.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

No this is one of my main gripes really - Because people don`t have to log in I can`t really see a true picture

Jim
Organ Grinder wrote:Can you still note how many visitors there are at the moment Jim? That is the better representation of interest IMHO. A lot of active fans (in the general sense) could be put off by a 'subscribe to read' website.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it Jim.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

What do you class as an "active fan"?
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

To be honest, I don't always log on to view the site - perhaps I should in future!!

I would log on to check PMs or if I wished to reply to a thread - but sometimes I just scan whays being said now!! (especially when in work - as I wouldn't want 'the snoops' to deny me internet access!!!)

Does anyone else do this - or am I the Peter Perrett??
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well with regards to this site I ran a report on people who have logged in here in the last 2 months

Jim
ThruBeingCool wrote:What do you class as an "active fan"?
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

And :?:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Jim,

This is a tricky one ! The Forum is excellent but there are plainly many "sleeping agents".

Got to say, I go to this site first thing at work (see Mully's post above) once I have cleared my email in-tray. It is superb in many, many ways.

I do not know how much of a hassle it is for you to keep it running on a day to day basis but I can see your argument for pouring some vindaloo sauce down it and having a clear out.

This isn't adding much to your question but I see where you are coming from.

Paul
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I'd guess there's about 20 regular contributors and the same again who are irregular. However, there's loads more people who obviously view the site just for info. If they don't wanna post, fair enough.

That 700 members stuff is meaningless. I think some of us feature twice in there anyhow (including me). Others sign up, post about half a dozen times and are never heard of again.

Every 'forum' is gonna suffer with these issues and it will always be difficult, maybe impossible, to gain a "clearer picture".

All said & done I think this is THE most important Stranglers site on the web. No wonder all the 'webmonkeys' from the official sites all post here plus all the 'oppos' of PR,JJ & Hugh.

You're doing a fine job, Jim and like 'OG' said...

IF IT AIN't BROKE IT DON'T NEED FIXING!

:wink:
HanGreenwell
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by HanGreenwell »

PaulinLondon wrote:Jim,

This is a tricky one ! The Forum is excellent but there are plainly many "sleeping agents".

Got to say, I go to this site first thing at work (see Mully's post above) once I have cleared my email in-tray. It is superb in many, many ways.

I do not know how much of a hassle it is for you to keep it running on a day to day basis but I can see your argument for pouring some vindaloo sauce down it and having a clear out.

This isn't adding much to your question but I see where you are coming from.

Paul
Aren't you cheating your employer by logging onto a forum at work? Like, not just you, but anyone else who doesn't run his or her own business - I don't know how people can check out non-work related websites whle they're at work and a)not feel guilty about it and b)not wonder if they're going to get into trouble.

I hardly ever go to work but even when I'm there I wouldn't dare use my employers' resources to access something I look at for non work related purposes, except if it were during my lunch break or something.

Back on topic ... there must be zillions of people who have just checked out the forum once and don't come back, or only look at it once in awhile. I don't know the logistics, so I don't know if it is causing any harm to have however many 'inactive' users. If it's causing harm, then get rid of them, otherwise, who cares?
to see you worm and squiggle now that things aint gaaaawrn yo' way!
bry
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by bry »

lots of 'lurkers'!! they were good;)
like a meteor, like to meet you!