243 active users - 700 members

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Monkeyboy
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Monkeyboy »

I think casual browsers should be totally encouraged....................just like window shoppers waking past in the street, they get to see whats on offer and when they feel confident or comfortable they can then dive in................excluding them would be like blacking out your shop window to everyone except those who know whats going on inside................not good in my opinion......................let everyone come and have a look, the more the merrier and when they feel cool......................they will get on board......................
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Monkeyboy wrote:I think casual browsers should be totally encouraged....................just like window shoppers waking past in the street, they get to see whats on offer and when they feel confident or comfortable they can then dive in................excluding them would be like blacking out your shop window to everyone except those who know whats going on inside................not good in my opinion......................let everyone come and have a look, the more the merrier and when they feel cool......................they will get on board......................
I was one of the aforementioned 'window shoppers' originally and was just gleaning info from the forum without getting involved. It was only when Paulinlondon posted a thread that actually got me to register and start posting - so as Monkeyboy so rightly says - the casual browser should be encouraged IMO.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Give em three strikes you are out rule. No visit in 3 months _ delete, no post in 3months - yellow card...
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
spicy

Post by spicy »

Well, let me see. I've never posted before but I've always lurked to much amusement and/or horror at times!
Will I post again? Probably not but I thought that as I'm one of "them" I thought I'd post now to tell you, Jim, what a fine job you're doing.
Long may it continue!

Now, back to the Bat Cave... 8)
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

ThruBeingCool wrote: All said & done I think this is THE most important Stranglers site on the web.
Totally correct !!
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yes this is the whole point of this topic. What I`m suggesting is that there are around 243 people who log in but 700 registered members - therefore I could clean out the other 460 users who registered twice or never to come back or whatever then we have a reasonable picture of users etc

Jim

ThruBeingCool wrote: That 700 members stuff is meaningless.:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think a lot of us log in at work. The way I view it is that I actually work better by taking regular breaks. I don`t go for cig breaks, I sometimes work through my lunches, I have had 1 day off in the last 3 years. As long as the work gets done what`s the problem??

I`m responsible for the network at work and it's not the possible timewasting that worries me about staff surfing - it's the sites that they are surfing and the shit that they are downloading. If they went on sites like these and BBC etc instead of trying to download free ringtones or whatever then the world would be a better place !! :lol: :P

Jim
HanGreenwell wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Jim,

This is a tricky one ! The Forum is excellent but there are plainly many "sleeping agents".

Got to say, I go to this site first thing at work (see Mully's post above) once I have cleared my email in-tray. It is superb in many, many ways.

I do not know how much of a hassle it is for you to keep it running on a day to day basis but I can see your argument for pouring some vindaloo sauce down it and having a clear out.

This isn't adding much to your question but I see where you are coming from.

Paul
Aren't you cheating your employer by logging onto a forum at work? Like, not just you, but anyone else who doesn't run his or her own business - I don't know how people can check out non-work related websites whle they're at work and a)not feel guilty about it and b)not wonder if they're going to get into trouble.

I hardly ever go to work but even when I'm there I wouldn't dare use my employers' resources to access something I look at for non work related purposes, except if it were during my lunch break or something.

Back on topic ... there must be zillions of people who have just checked out the forum once and don't come back, or only look at it once in awhile. I don't know the logistics, so I don't know if it is causing any harm to have however many 'inactive' users. If it's causing harm, then get rid of them, otherwise, who cares?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I agree completely but if someone as casually browsed 3 years ago why shouldn`t I delete there records ?

Jim
Monkeyboy wrote:I think casual browsers should be totally encouraged....................just like window shoppers waking past in the street, they get to see whats on offer and when they feel confident or comfortable they can then dive in................excluding them would be like blacking out your shop window to everyone except those who know whats going on inside................not good in my opinion......................let everyone come and have a look, the more the merrier and when they feel cool......................they will get on board......................
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks - can you tell me why you don`t want to post? I`m curious? Is it because someone always gets in before you and says what you were gonna say? Thanks for posting though I need more people like you to give feedback.

Jim
spicy wrote:Well, let me see. I've never posted before but I've always lurked to much amusement and/or horror at times!
Will I post again? Probably not but I thought that as I'm one of "them" I thought I'd post now to tell you, Jim, what a fine job you're doing.
Long may it continue!

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

OK let's put things into context - Worse case scenario you could have 3 people who bother to sign up as members and everyone else is just sat there browsing for info. Wouldn`t be very good would it? I want to get as many people as involved as possible and I believe restricting parts of the forums to registered members would help to achieve that.

Jim
HanGreenwell
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by HanGreenwell »

theraven1979 wrote:Thanks - can you tell me why you don`t want to post? I`m curious? Is it because someone always gets in before you and says what you were gonna say? Thanks for posting though I need more people like you to give feedback.

Jim
spicy wrote:Well, let me see. I've never posted before but I've always lurked to much amusement and/or horror at times!
Long may it continue!

He/she is scared of being handbagged.
And some people don't want to participate, they just want to watch. Observe, ya know. Like, not everyone is out-going, like I am, or cyber-outgoing, like you, Jimmeh. But they don't need to actually sign up to just observe, do they? Like, I like this band in america, and I am a member of their fanclub, which means I can go on their forum, like, I am automatically a member, the forum is fanclub members only, but I don't wanna chat to any of the other people who like the band or anything. In fact, I sometimes read the threads and, really, am not that fussed on ever posting. In fact, I don't WANT to contribute anything to what they all say. But then again, if you pay to be a member of a fan club, then I guess they can't delete you for being inactive. Like, it's not as if we're paying you with anything other than love and awe. Which, of course, you greatly deserve.
to see you worm and squiggle now that things aint gaaaawrn yo' way!
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

It's a tough one Jim. For the record I don't post as often as I should (or as I would like) but I do post as often as I can. It's very difficult to post at work (usually manage one at lunchtime) and it's usually impossible to read every thread (mainly 'cos the interweb is so slow over lunch - too many users, crap network, whatever). At home I have three lovely kids and a beautiful wife who complain if I'm on "that bloody computer" too much - unreasonable if you ask me but there you go.

What's my point, well I don't really have one except that I'm sure everyone has their reasons for not posting enough and I don't think they should be penalized. Then again, if they haven't posted for a year they should be struck off immediately!! :grin:

Keep up the good work Jim. This is the finest site on the net in my humble opinion.

Cheers
Chris
"Life shows no mercy."