A bottle (or 5) for the weekend

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

HanGreenwell
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by HanGreenwell »

3 YEARS + SOBER AND LOVIN' IT!
YOUSE, TOO COULD BE JUST LIKE ME!
to see you worm and squiggle now that things aint gaaaawrn yo' way!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

5 years sober for me.
I do missed getting pissed though but not the hangovers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

How do you do it though? That's the $60,000 question for me. How do you manage to meet up with your mates on a lads night out and ask for a shandy? and then watch your mates getting shitfaced whilst you remained sober. Also, what about after a shitty week and the weekend is here - How do you not crack open a sexy bottle of red??!!

Also, what made you stop in the first place? The hangovers? The embarrasing nights out? The drunken fisitcuffs?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:How do you do it though? That's the $60,000 question for me. How do you manage to meet up with your mates on a lads night out and ask for a shandy? and then watch your mates getting shitfaced whilst you remained sober. Also, what about after a shitty week and the weekend is here - How do you not crack open a sexy bottle of red??!!

Also, what made you stop in the first place? The hangovers? The embarrasing nights out? The drunken fisitcuffs?

Jim
A simple one word answer Jim................Kids !

- No time to go out with mates (didn't think you had any anyway ?)
- No more shitty weeks at work cos you are so looking forward to coming home and seeing the kids !
- Too tired on a Friday to open up a bottle of red or have to keep you wits about you to drive them to hospital when they do something stupid

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Crikey pass me the ale then in that case!

Jim
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

theraven1979 wrote:How do you do it though? That's the $60,000 question for me. How do you manage to meet up with your mates on a lads night out and ask for a shandy? and then watch your mates getting shitfaced whilst you remained sober. Also, what about after a shitty week and the weekend is here - How do you not crack open a sexy bottle of red??!!

Jim
lol, all three and more!
Seriously though Im thinking of starting again, I really do miss getting pissed. I got addicted to Morphine for 5 years so that was all I needed but now Im off that now and are taking less stronger opiates.
That is my main buzz at the mo, mainly for medicinal purposes though.
Miss smoking too. I could quite easily start drinking and smoking tomorrow I guess.

Saying that Im quite big on keep fit at the moment and spend a lot of time mountain biking. I really used to fuck my body up big time with lots of drugs, booze & fags but have now gone to the other extreme by getting mega fit and clean and sobre.
Feel alot better for it too!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:

Saying that Im quite big on keep fit at the moment and spend a lot of time mountain biking. I really used to fuck my body up big time with lots of drugs, booze & fags but have now gone to the other extreme by getting mega fit and clean and sobre.
Feel alot better for it too!
After a day at work and if I am not out in the evening, I have to have a bottle of the red stuff. I don't care where it comes from but the thought of going through the evening without a drop of wine would do my head in. Hmmm.......
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Post by Guest »

I cut down from 10 pints a night in the late 80's to drinking 1 or maybe 2 pints a week and sometimes not for weeks.

I just used to hate the way it made me feel so sick in the mornings - And now I wake up with a clear head and I can go out and do things straight away and not have that sea sick feeling everytime I stand up or move.

My kids now don't have an image of a Dad that says I had a good night last night damaging my liver and feeling sick !!! :oops:

Also I am 41 not 20 anymore and I just felt that it was time to stop - Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a tipple with my mates when we go for weekends away, but as it tends to be in France most of the time, we don't end up getting hammered, we just end up giggling like fools :lol:
And having a good time.

I just do other things now instead of going to the pub - Flicks to see a good film as opposed to the usual American drivel or I play Indoor Bowls - Yeah stop giggling at the back :lol:

It is an individual choice and I just felt the time was right to stop. I wouldn't go back to those days again - It was fun while it lasted but it ain't fun (For me) anymore - But each to their own though

I'll get me coat now

:roll:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Fair play - wish I had the will power and not the craving! Ain`t got many vices in life so I don`t feel I`ll ever knock the ale on the head

Jim *back from me mates stag do!*
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

paulinblack wrote:A simple one word answer Jim................Kids !

- No time to go out with mates (didn't think you had any anyway ?)
- No more shitty weeks at work cos you are so looking forward to coming home and seeing the kids !
- Too tired on a Friday to open up a bottle of red or have to keep you wits about you to drive them to hospital when they do something stupid

Paul
Ha ha! Nice one Paul. :lol: I used to have friends and drink a lot before the kids came along. I still crack open the red wine come Friday night though. My wife makes me drink it, honest!
"Life shows no mercy."
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

I've always liked a drink - a culmination of having that type of personality and being surrounded by like minded mates I guess, plus I'm still in the age group where going out on the piss is accepted as the norm being just 28. However, towards the end of last year I had to stop AND quit smoking due to a suspected throat ulcer or two. I was refered to the hospital (which took weeks on the NHS!) for an endoscopy which as you can imagine put the shits right up me.

Luckily, it turned out to be a blocked mucus duct and not an ulcer but having made the pledge to quit smoking on my GP's insistance and my then-girlfriends disliking of cigarettes (she lost her Dad 2 years ago after a 3 year long battle against lung cancer - biggest deterent ever, right?) I decided to continue with the no smoking policy, save the odd occasion when I'm drinking and wanna grab one off a nearby smoker.

As for booze, the last two weeks I've been on a health drive so ain't touched a drop however with two gigs with my band coming up this week I'm looking forward to a nice drop! I go through waves - I might not drink for a few weeks but then go banana's and get pissed. The idea of drinking all day everyday makes me sick just to think about it.

I think Paul hits the nail on the head re:kids though. Having my little health scare made me realise at an early stage that it's not all about me. Seeing how my girlfriend had been affected by the drawn out death of her father (and IMHO it's really fucked her up and was a contributing factor towards our split) in her own home over 3 long years made me realise that should I ever have kids or a wife it would be worse then fucking dying itself to see the anguish on their faces as I snuff it as a result of my behaviour earlier in my life and even worse to know that at the age of 28 I had the biggest fucking hint to quit but ignored it.
Last edited by Organ Grinder on 07 Mar 2006, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
HanGreenwell
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by HanGreenwell »

Jim
All of the above. Plus I think alcohol exacerbates any mental health problem I may or may not have. And it's full of calories. And I like driving. And I found better things to do. And I just don't like the taste of any of it really. And I don't like the fact that something so easily buy-able can change people's personalities so drastically and people willingly undergo personality changes because of that stupid drink once, twice, or three times a week. I mean, alcoholics, I can understand. They need the substance. It's a body-thing. But ppl who like altering their mental state with something as damaging and cheap as alcohol ... I dunno. I mean, everyone I know, except sXe ppl, who are all usually a bunch of tosspots, gets ratfaced maggit every week and more and can't social situations without it. It's pretty normal to need to drink, I guess ppl who don't like being drunk are probably in the minority.
Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerg.
to see you worm and squiggle now that things aint gaaaawrn yo' way!