RIP the Duke of Edinburgh.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

RIP the Duke of Edinburgh.

Post by Greatkudu »

Very sad news about the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, an amazing man with a stoic sense of duty a rare thing these days, and of course his great sense of humour, I will raise a glass or two later to his memory. Lt Kudu.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: RIP the Duke of Edinburgh.

Post by airflamesred »

I bet he would have been gutted he never made it to 100 and got to meet the Queen. :lol:
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

I'm gutted- no Pointless or The Chase tonight :|
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Humour aside, the Duke was an amazing man, and a Giant of Life, he sacrificed his life and future for service to Queen and Country, and his odd gaffes just made him more endearing, Harry could learn a lot from his late grandfather. Lt Kudu.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 09:11 Humour aside, the Duke was an amazing man, and a Giant of Life, he sacrificed his life and future for service to Queen and Country, and his odd gaffes just made him more endearing, Harry could learn a lot from his late grandfather. Lt Kudu.
Seconded. RIP.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

"Gaffes" :roll:
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

MiB81 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 13:49 "Gaffes" :roll:
Did he really do or say anything that offensive? I'm not a particularly big fan of the monarchy, nor do I think offensive comments/actions should be ignored or put down to a "different generation" or whatever - anything Phillip said was quite tame though & falls under the "gaffes" category imo.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Indeed, with reference to his own daughter, he commented "If it doesn't fart and eat straw she's not interested".
And sadly whilst we currently have to pander to those who, not only take offence, but avidly pick pocket offence where they can, it we be a while before any sort of replacement comes along.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

airflamesred wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:38 Indeed, with reference to his own daughter, he commented "If it doesn't fart and eat straw she's not interested".
And sadly whilst we currently have to pander to those who, not only take offence, but avidly pick pocket offence where they can, it we be a while before any sort of replacement comes along.
Yes well he used to get so bored with all the ceremony of meeting people, he always tried to make someone laugh in the line, occasionally he said things that may upset people, but come one, I'm upset by homelessness not a joke from the late Duke, bbc had to bring up his most famous gaffe whilst in China, typical PC BBC, a disgrace these days,over paid idiots mostly.Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Josh wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:02 Did he really do or say anything that offensive?
I read a list of 96 (for some reason) of these things, and almost all of them were nothing offensive at all, IMO. Obviously I wasn't present at any of them, but I also don't recall reading that anyone on the receiving end of any of these comments felt offended by them. I did read something that suggested that some of them were intended just to take the pressure off the Queen and lighten the mood a little. And you can't drag up something that someone said, decades ago, and compare it to today's opinions, especially without reference to the tone of voice. The only difference is that we heard about all of his.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:45 bbc had to bring up his most famous gaffe whilst in China, typical PC BBC, a disgrace these days,over paid idiots mostly.Lt Kudu.
Ah, y'see, that wasn't a "gaffe", that was just out-and-out offensive, and something he was rightly taken to task for. I'm unsurprised to see you defending it, though - it always seems to be about the Asians with you, eh? As for the BBC - I'm proud of it, I think its news coverage is unparalleled and respected worldwide and its a great British institution.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 19:44
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:45 bbc had to bring up his most famous gaffe whilst in China, typical PC BBC, a disgrace these days,over paid idiots mostly.Lt Kudu.
Ah, y'see, that wasn't a "gaffe", that was just out-and-out offensive, and something he was rightly taken to task for. I'm unsurprised to see you defending it, though - it always seems to be about the Asians with you, eh? As for the BBC - I'm proud of it, I think its news coverage is unparalleled and respected worldwide and its a great British institution.
I'm not defending it, and yes I have a problem with the fact that the covid 19 came from a country which has diabolical wet animal markets, I have nothing against any race ie Asians, but I will take account with any country that has forced misery on a global population and mass deaths, the point I was making was that the BBC had to mention the infamous Chinese joke on the day of his death, the Duke had a great sense of duty and hated formality and supported hundreds of charities so to concentrate on a bad joke is churlish. Its like the stranglers some people always ask them about heroin when they want to talk about the music, the BBC again, I'm sorry I think the BBC is a total disgrace now, it was a great institution many years ago, but now tries to compete with ITV. Lt Kudu.