Gigs best worst loudest most seen etc.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Gigs best worst loudest most seen etc.

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:02 The loudest was Cast. They was far too loud in a small venue in Charing Cross Road. My ears were in pain after.
I've only recently started getting down to the front at Stranglers gigs - around the time when they were opening the gigs with "Norfolk Coast", which I remember because as well as hearing the sound, I could feel the wind from the speakers when the drums kicked in. I recall having ringing in my ears for a couple of days after gigs around that time, but although I still get down to the front, I don't get that any more. I reckon things aren't as loud as they were, yet I can hear normally otherwise so I don't think it's me.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Loudest for me was Manic Street Preachers at Leeds Town & Country club in 1993. They were so loud that my mate's dad (there to pick us up) who was sat in his car a few streets away could hear the gig.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

droopsnoot wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:23
jason wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:02 The loudest was Cast. They was far too loud in a small venue in Charing Cross Road. My ears were in pain after.
I've only recently started getting down to the front at Stranglers gigs - around the time when they were opening the gigs with "Norfolk Coast", which I remember because as well as hearing the sound, I could feel the wind from the speakers when the drums kicked in. I recall having ringing in my ears for a couple of days after gigs around that time, but although I still get down to the front, I don't get that any more. I reckon things aren't as loud as they were, yet I can hear normally otherwise so I don't think it's me.
I don't get the ringing now either and put it down to hearing loss in the upper frequencies. Sound levels may be more restricted now, certainly the overall mixes seem less 'harsh' than they were thirty or forty years ago, but everyone's hearing deteriorates over time.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Halifax Linda wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 00:49 So good catching people’s memories and experiences!
Mib81 do you still catch Numan now on tour?
Hi Linda-To be honest I kinda lost interest after Telecon, and only saw him again a couple of times,
the last time was at a Glasgow Barrowlands gig back in the '90's where I spent the whole gig in
the foyer consoling a pissed up mate when a family member had just died. I fancied the
Redux tours he did promoting Replicas and the early stuff but again never got round to
going. What I've heard of him in the 2000's has impressed, especially Savage and as I think
I've mentioned I've got tickets to see him at this summer's Playground Festival so I'm looking forward
to seeing him again. Fingers crossed, eh? :smt006
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

One of my favourite times seeing the Stranglers was at Guilfest on a lovely Summers evening playing a lot of the Norfolk Coast album. They were bang on form that night and the Damned were on earlier too!
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

First - The Stranglers - Sunderland Locarno - 17th July 1980

Best - toss up between The Stranglers at Durham University in 1981 (Set list - Threatened, The Raven, Toiler On The Sea, Just Like Nothing On Earth, Thrown Away, Who Wants The World, Baroque Bordello, Second Coming, Meninblack, Shah Shah a Go Go, Hallow To Our Men, Tank, Nuclear Device, Genetix, Duchess) and The Clash at Bridlington Spa - January 30, 1980

Most - The Stranglers - about 45 in total.

Loudest- Swans - Manchester Academy - 2014

Worst - Porcupine Tree - 2009 - my lad dragged me along. Just bored me, unfortunately.

Regret - Flogged my tickets to REM at Brixton Academy in June 2003. Made a tidy profit, though. Still kick meself.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

First gig - The Boomtown Rats 1979

Best - The Stranglers, Cardiff 1979. Brilliant Raven setlist plus JJ jumped into the crowd and laid into one of the audience that wouldn't stop spitting! I was also present at Weston-Super-Mare in 2006 when the band played their first gig as a reformed 4-piece. Also Queen at Wembley in 1986 was a fantastic gig - say what you like, but Freddie Mercury was a true entertainer.

Most - The Stranglers - lost count, but well over a hundred gigs

Last gigs - Sham 69, Skids, Undertones and Gary Numan, all in 2018

Loudest - Motorhead...blimey!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Off thread I remember reading Baz saw the Ramones and said they were the loudest band ever. Stranglers over 100 gigs since 81,loudest gig was theatre of Hate at the garage in London had to put ear plugs in, and best gig most memorable so many but Reading Festival 83 hard to beat for set list, Hells Angels and other stuff. Lt Kudu.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Reading 83 .what a gig. Fantastic weekend with the best Stranglers set that I have seen. Other great bands include Thin Lizzy, Steve Ray Vaughan, Ten Years After, Mariillion. Yes it was rough and our tent was robbed, campsite fires with bands and keeping away from the Hells Angel's especially the Angel who was whipping his motorcycle chain during the Sabbath set. My first and best festival. Miss those days but would not let my teenage daughter go to that festival! I think festivals are more sanitised these days. Never forget Down in the Sewer and then trying to find me tent with ringing ears!