Favourite Western? So many to choose.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Favourite Western? So many to choose.

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 13:30 I am a big film buff, but have a real passion for Westerns, I love the classics with The Duke etc, but also the Spaghetti Western to pioneered by the late great Sergio Leone, Fist Full of Dollars was a game changer with Clint being an anti hero, not good or bad but in between, my Fave at the moment is probably Pale Rider a fucking sublime piece of work, Westerns or films do not get much better than that IMHO. Rowdy kudu.
Great thread Mista Kudu.
All the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone ones, a perfect combination. Never beaten (IMHO)
Since a kid Clint’s been one of my fave actors (certainly not the best but he’s just so f’in cool) along with one of my fave Soundtrack composers - Mr Morricone. Sergio Leone ain’t a bad director either!

Let’s not forget Sergio’s ‘Once Upon A Time In The West’, an incredibly beautiful directed piece of art with another gorgeous soundtrack from Ennio.
Along with the Dollars Trilogy of Westerns - A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) one of the finest IMHO.

Ennio had recorded the soundtrack before Sergio directed the film and Sergio built his film around Ennio’s soundtrack.
The first music vid?

Wikipedia-
“The music was written by composer Ennio Morricone, Leone's regular collaborator, who wrote the score under Leone's direction before filming began. As in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the haunting music contributes to the film's grandeur, and like the music for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, is considered one of Morricone's greatest compositions.
The film features leitmotifs that relate to each of the main characters (with their own theme music), as well as to the spirit of the American West. Especially compelling are the wordless vocals by Italian singer Edda Dell'Orso during the theme music for the Claudia Cardinale character. Leone's desire was to have the music available and played during filming. Leone had Morricone compose the score before shooting started, and played the music in the background for the actors on set.
Except for about a minute of the "Judgment" motif, before Harmonica kills the three outlaws, no soundtrack music is played until the end of the second scene, when Fonda makes his first entry. During the beginning of the film, Leone instead uses a number of natural sounds, for instance, a turning wheel in the wind, sound of a train, grasshoppers, shotguns while hunting, wings of pigeons, etc., in addition to the diegetic sound of the harmonica”

Gotta mention Alan Ladd & Jack Palance in Shane too, it always brings a tear to my eye that film at the end, “Shane, come back!, come back Shane!”. just so wonderful and the guns in that - wow, when they go off, sound like canons!
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 26 Jan 2021, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur your spot on, agree with all you say. Love the music to, I have soundtrack to bad and ugly and fist full of Dollars, class stuff sir. Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 21:27 Arthur your spot on, agree with all you say. Love the music to, I have soundtrack to bad and ugly and fist full of Dollars, class stuff sir. Lt Kudu.
Those soundtracks to Fistful, Few More and Bad & Ugly was the third album I bought after Stranglers B&W and the Star Wars soundtrack.
8)
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Also loved Shane.
And can’t remember if The Yearling was a western.
But “Take the deer to the barn” still teary eyed.
Also jumping on the thread what other favourite films?
Any genre?
For Xmas I got Whistle down the wind!!!!
Can’t wait to watch.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Oh so many great films where do I begin? But Westerns are my fave films, but love classic horror, that might be a new thread? Lt Kudu.
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Oooh.
Did you like Hammer house of Horror?
Also remember Armchair Thriller.
I don’t like gore fests but love something that will proper make me jump or creep me out.
Same with books.
Steven kings The Dark Half made me paranoid for ages!!!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Halifax Linda wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 00:25 Oooh.
Did you like Hammer house of Horror?
Also remember Armchair Thriller.
I don’t like gore fests but love something that will proper make me jump or creep me out.
Same with books.
Steven kings The Dark Half made me paranoid for ages!!!
Yes love Hammer House of Horror and the Hammer films in General, love them all. Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Hammer films are confusing lol in that they tend to be absolute shite but at the same time absolutely fucking brilliant.
Loved em as a kid and still love to watch em now, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee weren’t the greatest actors but were brilliant in all the Hammer films.

My fave film Christopher Lee has starred in is The Wickerman, it’s actually one of my fave horror films and the soundtrack is also my fave OST.

Yeah great idea, start a fave film thread ... Linda, Mr Kudu?
8)
GoonerLXII
SHAKESPEARO

Post by GoonerLXII »

The Wild Bunch, best beginning and end.

The Horse Soldiers or any JW film

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Long Riders

Toooooo many to mention really
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

For a Few Dollars more is my favourite, Lee Van Cleef is absolutely superb in this film. Once Upon A Time In The West is a classic too! You can’t beat the spaghetti westerns.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

High noon.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 17:59High noon.
A classic. Lt Kudu.