Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Statues and censoring old songs

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

ozymandias wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 18:12
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 18:00
So should ‘I Feel Like A Wog’, a song which can be easily misinterpreted be deleted from the No More Heroes album?
Bring On The Nubiles will have to go too and Burning Up Times (the ending could be considered seriously dodgy)
:?
Personally I don't like the 'othering' connotations of the lyrics of IFLAW but I understand that it can be seen as anti-racist. And i think Nubiles is just a bit juvenile for near 70-year-olds to be signing about. Shame, because both are top-notch tunes though.

So no I don't think there are many people calling for the likes of IFLAW or Nubiles to be banned. People should still have the right to offend and be offended.
Im sure if the SJW’s of this world got to hear about these ‘naughty‘ Stranglers songs they would immediately call for there deletion/banning of.
Vile miseable bastards who want to spoil it for everyone else and make everyone else miserable.
Dump em all on an island together and leave the lot of em there with a fishing rod.

aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack »

ozymandias wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 18:12
25 Jun 2020, 18:00
So should ‘I Feel Like A Wog’, a song which can be easily misinterpreted be deleted from the No More Heroes album?
Bring On The Nubiles will have to go too and Burning Up Times (the ending could be considered seriously dodgy)
:?
Personally I don't like the 'othering' connotations of the lyrics of IFLAW but I understand that it can be seen as anti-racist. And i think Nubiles is just a bit juvenile for near 70-year-olds to be signing about. Shame, because both are top-notch tunes though.

So no I don't think there are many people calling for the likes of IFLAW or Nubiles to be banned. People should still have the right to offend and be offended.
Im sure if the SJW’s of this world got to hear about these ‘naughty‘ Stranglers songs they would immediately call for there deletion/banning of.
Vile miseable bastards who want to spoil it for everyone else and make everyone else miserable.
Dump em all on an island together and leave the lot of em there with a fishing rod.

actually IFLAW was the track that really made me take notice of the band in the first place. I'll never forget that day when my mate put NMH album on his turntable, and that powerful aggressive bass and keyboard sound had me hooked and that was the start of my Stranglers journey.

I still really like the song, those rhythms still get me "dancing" at gigs. And I know it's an anti rascist song, but....

I've become uncomfortable with the term "Wog". And for that reason alone I would have chosen not to have it played in recent tours.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !

StanInBlack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 07:44
Five Minutes wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 04:39
I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm sick to death of this non stop stuff about race , slavery etc
It's a conversation that needs to be had because too many people want to stick their head in the sand about it.
What is next , omitting politically incorrect songs from future CD versions of old records ??
Unlikely, but maybe some will come with a disclaimer explaining how attitudes have changed? They are doing this with old comedy and cartoons etc.
Somehow, a bunch of Bolsheviks now control Britain and have introduced a thought police mentality.
No, that's just pure nonsense. It's more to do with a growing awareness of the issues among people and an increased ability to be able to do something about it. It's not thought police, it's anti-racism.
The Stranglers of course would be a major target for these psychotic fools.
Don't think so, think that's just paranoia. The Stranglers have been provocative but Jet used the word "titillating" I think. I don't think there's much to have a problem with apart from the same old songs that people have always had a problem with. To my knowledge there's not a history of racial oppression or slave trading in the Stranglers, so it's probably ok.
They are practically calling us racists every day .
The tolerance we have shown considering that we never asked for a multi cultural society is frankly staggering.
Not sure on your logic here. You seem to be suggesting that because not everyone is white that "we" can't be racists? There are British people of all races. The world is multi cultural.
Everyone hates it.
The non stop whining about racism.
It would stop sooner if more people admitted there was an issue and didn't put there heads in the sand saying "stop going on about it". How is that helping? Unless you want things to stay as they are and you think racism is a good thing?
The token ethnic minorities in everything.
What has this got to do with anything? Unless you are offended by people in things not being white?
The rubbishing of our history and traditions .
The history will always be there. Sadly a lot of the things this country has done in the past have been pretty terrible. What's happening now is that these things are being pointed out. If anything, it will give a deeper understanding of our history. Not sure what traditions you're referring to.
I am pretty sure millions are enraged about this never ending campaign of psychological warfare.

It is a very very stupid tactic.
Lots of people are certainly enraged, but why? Do they want the racism to continue? What's the problem?

Completely agree with everything parasiteinblack has said above.

dronecatcher
SHAKESPEARO

Post by dronecatcher »

parasiteinblack wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 07:44
Five Minutes wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 04:39
I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm sick to death of this non stop stuff about race , slavery etc
It's a conversation that needs to be had because too many people want to stick their head in the sand about it.
Legislation to criminalise racial discrimination has been in place in the UK since 1965 and has been refined and extended many times to protect every individual regardless of their colour, creed or orientation.

Racial bigotry still exists and probably always will but it's usually the preserve of an uninformed/ignorant minority - certainly not an institutionalised or systemic phenomenon as suggested by BLM.

Being ignorant and intolerant is just a default position for some people - for example, telling someone you like The Stranglers might elicit a response of, "nah - not my cup of tea" someone else might say, "ugh - they're shit!" You could try all you want to give them reasons why you disagree but they won't move from their position - could they be persuaded by a protest march or the passing of a law that makes it compulsory for 50% of all broadcast media to include The Stranglers? I doubt it - if anything it will make them defend their position even more.

As for banning songs - yes, that could easily happen - probably self censorship out of fear of being "cancelled" by the mob. After all, far worse is already happening - see last week when Nick Buckley - a MBE awarded charity worker who's spent over 20 years with the vulnerable and disadvantaged in inner city areas, was sacked after an online hate campaign petitioned his employers. Just 474 signatures is all it took to cancel out his career and reputation and be publicly smeared as a racist and for what? Writing an opinion piece that criticised BLM as being divisive and politically motivated.

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

That's what I mean about being controlled by a bunch of Bolsheviks.

They are playing the long game
Once anyone who remembers a homogeneous Britain is dead things will be so much easier for them .
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop

mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Its all about equity.

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

I don't actually object to immigration.

It is the serious criminals (like the paedos in Rotherham and elsewhere) who I'd like booted out or jailed forever.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop