Statues and censoring old songs

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Statues and censoring old songs

Post by Five Minutes »

I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm sick to death of this non stop stuff about race , slavery etc

What is next , omitting politically incorrect songs from future CD versions of old records ??

Somehow, a bunch of Bolsheviks now control Britain and have introduced a thought police mentality.

The Stranglers of course would be a major target for these psychotic fools.

They are practically calling us racists every day .
The tolerance we have shown considering that we never asked for a multi cultural society is frankly staggering.

Everyone hates it.
The non stop whining about racism.
The token ethnic minorities in everything.
The rubbishing of our history and traditions .

I am pretty sure millions are enraged about this never ending campaign of psychological warfare.

It is a very very stupid tactic.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Statues and censoring old songs

Post by parasiteinblack »

Five Minutes wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 04:39 I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm sick to death of this non stop stuff about race , slavery etc
It's a conversation that needs to be had because too many people want to stick their head in the sand about it.
What is next , omitting politically incorrect songs from future CD versions of old records ??
Unlikely, but maybe some will come with a disclaimer explaining how attitudes have changed? They are doing this with old comedy and cartoons etc.
Somehow, a bunch of Bolsheviks now control Britain and have introduced a thought police mentality.
No, that's just pure nonsense. It's more to do with a growing awareness of the issues among people and an increased ability to be able to do something about it. It's not thought police, it's anti-racism.
Don't think so, think that's just paranoia. The Stranglers have been provocative but Jet used the word "titillating" I think. I don't think there's much to have a problem with apart from the same old songs that people have always had a problem with. To my knowledge there's not a history of racial oppression or slave trading in the Stranglers, so it's probably ok.
The tolerance we have shown considering that we never asked for a multi cultural society is frankly staggering.
Not sure on your logic here. You seem to be suggesting that because not everyone is white that "we" can't be racists? There are British people of all races. The world is multi cultural.
Everyone hates it.
It would stop sooner if more people admitted there was an issue and didn't put there heads in the sand saying "stop going on about it". How is that helping? Unless you want things to stay as they are and you think racism is a good thing?
What has this got to do with anything? Unless you are offended by people in things not being white?
The history will always be there. Sadly a lot of the things this country has done in the past have been pretty terrible. What's happening now is that these things are being pointed out. If anything, it will give a deeper understanding of our history. Not sure what traditions you're referring to.
I am pretty sure millions are enraged about this never ending campaign of psychological warfare.

Lots of people are certainly enraged, but why? Do they want the racism to continue? What's the problem?
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack »

I'm tired of it all too tbh. I just don't know what people want to be happy anymore. I realise thay we're not perfect and all sorts of prejudices probably still exist to some degree.

But we have made huge strides in recent times and Iwe're better than any other country in that regard. So yes there may still be room for improvement, but going around smashing up statues etc - well I can only guess that most of those people don't have enough work to do....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I agree with Parasiteinblack people are waking up and Something Better Change and it is. Pretty sure the band would be all for this. IMO it's similar to the #metoo movement in terms of shaking up the old ideas for what's acceptable. Times change, we don't live in the 70s anymore, people need to accept it. I'd leave this country tomorrow if it was nothing but gammons in it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
The Raven
The Raven

Post by droopsnoot »

I have a problem with violent mobs ripping down statues, and it's just because it's vandalism. There are procedures for getting statues put up, and there are procedures for having them taken down. Those procedures have undoubtedly been modified over the years, and rightly so, to cope with changing attitudes and a changing population. I doubt (naively, perhaps) that the people doing that are anything other than rent-a-mob hooligans rather than actual anti-racist protestors. Ripping down statues isn't the same as rewriting history, but that's no excuse for a small mob to be allowed to decide that they have to go.

I also have a problem with the apparent hypocrisy involved in some areas. A college in Oxford are taking down a statue of Cecil Rhodes because of the things he did in Africa. I don't know much about his history - and all of it that I do "know" comes from reading my Dad's Wilbur Smith novels - so I'm certainly not going to try to claim he was a nice bloke who did loads of good things and a few bad ones, especially as that could be applied to Mr Savile too. But I do wonder (admittedly because I've seen others mention it) whether the same university will pay back his estate for the building that he paid to build, and for starting his scholarship programme. Will all the historical Rhodes Scholars pay back all the fees that they didn't have to pay because of his bequest?

My concern with things like the BBC proclaiming that by a certain date they'll have 20% of behind-the-scenes people from a particular group is that will possibly lead to people being appointed who would never otherwise have got the job, just to fill a quota. I can't imagine many people want to get a job that way, either. I watched a few people being interviewed on TV talking about how, as part of their university courses, they'd been out on placement in large businesses and seen a disproportionately small number of a particular gender / race / ethnicity in senior positions in that company, and in their view that was concrete evidence of the company being racist or sexist. In their view it was simply not possible that no-one from those groups had applied for those jobs, or that those who had just didn't have the required skills or experience. It also doesn't help that very often, the people they choose to interview for those TV reports can barely string a coherent sentence together, and no-one seems to dare to suggest that speaking badly is more likely to hold them back from senior positions than their colour or gender.

This is another situation where I'm glad I don't have to try to produce a solution that will please everyone.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

They should leave Statues alone and as a reminder for us never to go back to those times.

In Leeds there’s a beautiful ‘house’ called Harewwod House and it’s a splendid work of architecture and the huge grounds are beautiful, had many a walk around there and been to a few outdoor concerts/ events there including The Who.

But Harewood House and it’s grounds were built on money made from the slave trade, so should we pull this beautiful house and it’s surroundings down too?

Think to the future, stop dragging up the past, stop being unhappy and moaning about everything.
There’s clearly too many mentally ill SJW’s (Social Justice Warriors) who have nothing better to do and just because they are all miserable they want to drag us all down with them. Get over yourselves.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 25 Jun 2020, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in your homes
Stay in your homes
Be off the streets by nightfall
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Having ethnic minorities in TV shows just feels like box ticking.

Like it is done grudgingly. As if the people making the decisions only see their race, not their humanity. How can such a society hold together??

Working class people on TV is going the same way.
We already know from the EU vote that lots of people hate mass immigration.

If people really want to live in a rainbow nation then I guess people like me are dinosaurs.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
ozymandias
Down In The Sewer

Post by ozymandias »

parasiteinblack wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 07:44
Five Minutes wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 04:39 I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm sick to death of this non stop stuff about race , slavery etc
It's a conversation that needs to be had because too many people want to stick their head in the sand about it.
Unlikely, but maybe some will come with a disclaimer explaining how attitudes have changed? They are doing this with old comedy and cartoons etc.
No, that's just pure nonsense. It's more to do with a growing awareness of the issues among people and an increased ability to be able to do something about it. It's not thought police, it's anti-racism.
Don't think so, think that's just paranoia. The Stranglers have been provocative but Jet used the word "titillating" I think. I don't think there's much to have a problem with apart from the same old songs that people have always had a problem with. To my knowledge there's not a history of racial oppression or slave trading in the Stranglers, so it's probably ok.
Not sure on your logic here. You seem to be suggesting that because not everyone is white that "we" can't be racists? There are British people of all races. The world is multi cultural.
Everyone hates it.
It would stop sooner if more people admitted there was an issue and didn't put there heads in the sand saying "stop going on about it". How is that helping? Unless you want things to stay as they are and you think racism is a good thing?
What has this got to do with anything? Unless you are offended by people in things not being white?
The history will always be there. Sadly a lot of the things this country has done in the past have been pretty terrible. What's happening now is that these things are being pointed out. If anything, it will give a deeper understanding of our history. Not sure what traditions you're referring to.

Lots of people are certainly enraged, but why? Do they want the racism to continue? What's the problem?
Yes, all of what parasiteinblack said.
ozymandias
Down In The Sewer

Post by ozymandias »

Five Minutes wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 17:42 Having ethnic minorities in TV shows just feels like box ticking.

Like it is done grudgingly. As if the people making the decisions only see their race, not their humanity. How can such a society hold together??

Working class people on TV is going the same way.
We already know from the EU vote that lots of people hate mass immigration.

If people really want to live in a rainbow nation then I guess people like me are dinosaurs.
Having ethnic minorities in TV shows reflects society.

Working class people are underrepresented on TV also, so there needs to be an effort to address this in addition to addressing the under-representation of the BAME community.

We know from the EU vote that millions of people are pro-immigration.

Not sure "dinosaur" is the word - a different word springs to mind tbh.
ozymandias
Down In The Sewer

Post by ozymandias »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 17:30 They should leave Statues alone and as a reminder for us never to go back to those times.

In Leeds there’s a beautiful ‘house’ called Harewwod House and it’s a splendid work of architecture and the huge grounds are beautiful, had many a walk around there and been to a few outdoor concerts/ events there including The Who.

But Harewood House and it’s grounds was built on money made from the slave trade, so should we pull this beautiful house and it’s surroundings down too?

Think to the future, stop dragging up the past, stop being unhappy and moaning about everything.
There’s clearly too many mentally ill SJW’s (Social Justice Warriors) who have nothing better to do and just because they are all miserable they want to drag us all down with them. Get over yourselves.
This is a difficult topic, but a statue is literally putting someone on a pedestal to be honoured and admired, which is different to works of architecture that were funded by people who earned their fortunes in entirely unacceptable means.

Take down the statues, put them in a museum which explains why they were erected in the past and why they should be removed now. Acknowledge Britain's involvement in the slave trade, as Liverpool has. That's not rewriting history, it's explaining it.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

So should ‘I Feel Like A Wog’, a song which can be easily misinterpreted be deleted from the No More Heroes album?
Bring On The Nubiles will have to go too and Burning Up Times (the ending could be considered seriously dodgy)
:?
Stay in your homes
Stay in your homes
Be off the streets by nightfall
ozymandias
Down In The Sewer

Post by ozymandias »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 18:00 So should ‘I Feel Like A Wog’, a song which can be easily misinterpreted be deleted from the No More Heroes album?
Bring On The Nubiles will have to go too and Burning Up Times (the ending could be considered seriously dodgy)
:?
Personally I don't like the 'othering' connotations of the lyrics of IFLAW but I understand that it can be seen as anti-racist. And i think Nubiles is just a bit juvenile for near 70-year-olds to be signing about. Shame, because both are top-notch tunes though.

So no I don't think there are many people calling for the likes of IFLAW or Nubiles to be banned. People should still have the right to offend and be offended.