Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Best MUSIC books read

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 20:21
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 21:39
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 20:28

I think this is better than the Jon Savage book by a long way.
Love the John Robb book, does that Savage nobjockey ever mention The Stranglers in his book?
Never read it like, prob never will.
Contrary to what JJ says, The Stranglers are mentioned several times in the Jon Savage book, almost all unfavourably. He actually acknowledges that The Stranglers and The Jam were two of the biggest sellers of the punk period, which is a truth that Savage can't avoid. However, some of his criticisms about the band are a bit ludicrous. Once he's got the "bullying misogynists" schtick out of the way, he goes onto claim that because The Stranglers sold more records they were somehow more musically conservative than the likes of The Pistols, which is nonsense.

Like, am I really supposed to fucking believe that "Peasant in the Big Shitty" is more "musically conservative" than "God Save the Queen"!? Because anyone who insists such a thing is objectively a retard.
I thought this John Savage bloke was supposed be intelligent? One of those Cambridge/ Oxford types?
The Stranglers were musically conservative than the Pistols? FFS the guys a total fucktard. He obviously knows nothing about music whatsoever, probably couldn’t tell the difference between a G Sharp and an A Flat :grin:
As much as I love Steve Jones as a guitar player and the Sex Pistols it was all just basic rock ‘n’ roll - Chuck Berry and Kinks riffs.
Anyway fuck Savage he won’t be remembered for anything, he’s not produced anything worthy to my mind and will only be remembered for moaning and holding a grudge against JJ and The Stranglers for over 40 years.
:roll:
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Didn't Savage receive a thump or two for giving RV a bad review? Pretty sure he got done in black anyway for slagging the band, if so then I'd guess he got his own back by erasing the band from Punk history in his 'seminal punk book'.

I've never understood the 'need' for music journos, especially in those days, as they had the power to ruin artistes if they so wanted.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Once he's got the "bullying misogynists" schtick out of the way, he goes onto claim that because The Stranglers sold more records they were somehow more musically conservative than the likes of The Pistols, which is nonsense.
I like the idea that the stranglers appealed more to the 1970s housewife than the sex pistols ever could.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Bobinblack wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 09:37 Didn't Savage receive a thump or two for giving RV a bad review? Pretty sure he got done in black anyway for slagging the band, if so then I'd guess he got his own back by erasing the band from Punk history in his 'seminal punk book'.

I've never understood the 'need' for music journos, especially in those days, as they had the power to ruin artistes if they so wanted.
JJ threw beer at him didn’t he? Probably gave him a slap or two. I’d have thought Savage would have forgiven JJ after 40 years but he still keeps on erasing em from punk/ new wave history. Naughty Mr Savage, he certainly takes after his surname.
Yep some of those old journos back in the 70’s & 80’s were quite nasty and brutal, deffo could destroy a band if they didn’t like em.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 16:46
Once he's got the "bullying misogynists" schtick out of the way, he goes onto claim that because The Stranglers sold more records they were somehow more musically conservative than the likes of The Pistols, which is nonsense.
I like the idea that the stranglers appealed more to the 1970s housewife than the sex pistols ever could.
All you need to do is look at what was on the chart from the week that "Peaches" peaked at number 8. Hot Chocolate, Barbra Streisand, Electric Light Orchestra. I mean, it doesn't bother me at all that Jon Savage doesn't like The Stranglers, and nor did he "erase" or "airbrush" them out of anything. It does piss me off when people write out-and-out bullshit as if it's gospel, though.
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Also enjoyed John Robb book.
And Steve Hogarth (Marillion diaries)
Kim Gordon girl in a band.
Steve Jones Lonely boy.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 22:09 JJ threw beer at him didn’t he? Probably gave him a slap or two. I’d have thought Savage would have forgiven JJ after 40 years but he still keeps on erasing em from punk/ new wave history. Naughty Mr Savage, he certainly takes after his surname.
Yep some of those old journos back in the 70’s & 80’s were quite nasty and brutal, deffo could destroy a band if they didn’t like em.
Savage isn't his actual surname, and none of those journalists destroyed anything that was worth giving a shit about, no matter how hard they tried.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Halifax Linda wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 16:42 Steve Jones Lonely boy.
Jonesy’s book is the best I’ve read in a long time, a really entertaining, brilliant and hilarious read, in some parts though quite sad too. He seems to be doing very well for himself now though living in Dead Loss Angeles.
sandyinblack
Rats Rally

Post by sandyinblack »

just finished Viv Albertine (The Slits) book Clothes, Music, Boys (X3). Really enjoyed it. The Stranglers are not mentioned at all. don't know if they met or if the history was enough to write about. she was more Sex Pistols and Clash type which meant she prob saw JJ take a few swings at them.
the book is a good read though.
Stuart Adamson's bio and Richard Jobson's autobio are interesting reads too.
Punk could be the first step towards Utpoia
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Enjoyed Richard Johnson book.
I've got Stuart adamson and Debbie Harry ready to read too.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

When Giants Walked the Earth Mick Wall (Led Zeppelin) loads of stuff on Jimmy Page's occult interests.
Lonely Boy Steve Jones, excellent get the audio version if you can.
Eric Burdon has done a few books, all well worth reading
I Slept With Joey Ramones by his brother Mickey Leigh
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

sandyinblack wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 10:11 just finished Viv Albertine (The Slits) book Clothes, Music, Boys (X3). Really enjoyed it. The Stranglers are not mentioned at all. don't know if they met or if the history was enough to write about. she was more Sex Pistols and Clash type which meant she prob saw JJ take a few swings at them.
the book is a good read though.
Stuart Adamson's bio and Richard Jobson's autobio are interesting reads too.
Yep Viv Albertine’s book was a great read, I’d thought that I may not like it but I just loved her honesty and humour, it’s a fave Autobiography along with the Steve Jones Lonely Boy one.
8)
Still got Debbie Harry’s book to read and would like to get the Stuart Adamson book.

My all time fave is the Keith Moon book - Dear Boy, really funny but also very sad too. But what an amazing short life he had, lived it and partied to the max.