Favourite Other Band

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Favourite Other Band

Post by droopsnoot »

Ruby wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 22:43 … but live, going by you tube video, they just sound a load of noise to me.
That's probably just youtube users recording quality - loads of Stranglers videos are rotten quality on there as well. I saw them locally once or twice - in the 2000s - and they were pretty good. Sound was certainly better than the Buzzcocks in the same venue, their gig was just noise with the odd bit of recognisable tune in it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

The Damned... great band. They have written many really good songs and are not a simple noise combo. And the original singer Dave Vanian is still in the band 😎. Wish Hugh hadn't quit nearly 30 years ago.
The Damned's Nosferatu here: https://youtu.be/KU756rsvoZc
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Standing on the edge of tomorrow is a brilliant track. Street of dreams and Shadow of love are crackers too!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Strawberries and The Black Album for me. Strawberries probably more accessible due to it's poppy vibe to it.Strawberries is jolly good fun.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

theraven1979 wrote:Strawberries and The Black Album for me. Strawberries probably more accessible due to it's poppy vibe to it.Strawberries is jolly good fun.

Jim
Strawberries is a favourite of mine. Also very fond of Grave Disorder.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

The last Damned studio album Evil Spirits (Oct. 2018) is at least as good as The Stranglers Giants album, probably "better" 🤓.
Latest offer of a new Damned song: https://youtu.be/da7Bc_w4nhM
A whole new album is in the pipeline according to an interview with Dave Vanian a few months ago. But a new drummer has yet to be found and due to the Covid19 crises there won't be much band activities in the next three or four months. A new Captain Sensible Grew Cells album is announced ready in the near future.
Back to The Stranglers...
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

On balance of things I'd say Killing Joke , though of late ( say past 12 years or so ) , they've probably been superior to The Stranglers in both quality and quantity of output .
Other mentions , Chelsea - a very under rated original wave punk band , The Lurkers , Motorhead , The Skids , The Blood plus many many more .
The Clash were excellent for two albums IMO but dropped off my radar from London Calling onwards .
All quiet ..........
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Jon the Impaler wrote:On balance of things I'd say Killing Joke , though of late ( say past 12 years or so ) , they've probably been superior to The Stranglers in both quality and quantity of output .
Other mentions , Chelsea - a very under rated original wave punk band , The Lurkers , Motorhead , The Skids , The Blood plus many many more .
The Clash were excellent for two albums IMO but dropped off my radar from London Calling onwards .
The Lurkers are great fun live- only seen them a couple of times but they were very entertaining both times.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.