Post by jason »

Killing Joke at the moment.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Favourite Other Band

Post by kenl »

A huge list but I'll mention a few of my favourites

Mike Oldfield
Magazine (amazing gigs when they reformed 2009 - 11, wish they'd do more)
Floyd, Gilmour & Waters
Devo
Dead Kennedys & Jello
Talking Heads
Captain Beefheart
Eminem
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I know people love them but I am not that keen on the Damned.Some studio tracks are OK but live, going by you tube video, they just sound a load of noise to me.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I like the Damned. Probably the most similar band to the Stranglers in some ways. I don't think their songs are quite as good though. Great band though and in my top 10 bands.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

re The Damned have to say I don't really know their material very well, apart from the obvious hits.

I've seen them live twice and were good gigs from what I remember.

Are they really anything like The Stranglers though ? Do they have the kind of variety album to album that the Stranglers have had, with some of the experimental / quirkiness we've seen over the years ? Can they match the musicianship of Stranglers albums like B&W, Raven, Meeninblack ?

Do they have real epic album tracks similar to toiler/ SEWER/ raven etc ? Bass / keyboard sound anywhere near what the Stranglers have ?

I'm not so sure, could anybody recommend a Damned album for me to start with?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

aldinblack wrote:re The Damned have to say I don't really know their material very well, apart from the obvious hits.

Are they really anything like The Stranglers though ? Do they have the kind of variety album to album that the Stranglers have had, with some of the experimental / quirkiness we've seen over the years ? Can they match the musicianship of Stranglers albums like B&W, Raven, Meeninblack ?

Do they have real epic album tracks similar to toiler/ SEWER/ raven etc ? Bass / keyboard sound anywhere near what the Stranglers have ?

Thanks

Last edited by gjinblack on 23 Mar 2020, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
euromanc-ometh
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

gjinblack wrote:
aldinblack wrote:re The Damned have to say I don't really know their material very well, apart from the obvious hits.

Thanks

Start with the first - Damned Damned Damned. Then Machine Gun Etiquette. You'll notice the music develop, a bit like the way The Stranglers did but this is down to different musicians in this case. Next up Strawberries then The Black Album and Phantasmagoria.
If you're still hanging in Evil Spirits from 2018 is worth a listen too.

Curtain Call on The Black Album is their Sewer. It lasts a full side of an album. Bloody hippies!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

jason wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 23:21 I like the Damned. Probably the most similar band to the Stranglers in some ways. I don't think their songs are quite as good though. Great band though and in my top 10 bands.
Absolutely agree sir, spot on, always thought the same. Some songs are very similar to The Stranglers going by my reasonably fine tuned musician ear, ahem...but not as good as The Stranglers, fooking great live band too, even the very same as The Stranglers now with just two original members!
8)
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 23 Mar 2020, 04:43, edited 3 times in total.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Ruby wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 22:43 I know people love them but I am not that keen on the Damned.Some studio tracks are OK but live, going by you tube video, they just sound a load of noise to me.
Listen to ‘I Just Can’t Be Happy Today’
Beautiful melodies therein. The keyboard solo is simple but so melodic.
The song is maybe noisy even but...?
Just one example of so many with great melodies.

Also listen to ‘Portrait’
An absolutely stunningly beautiful melancholic piece of music -/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKdmCagSjQ

Will definitely change your opinion on The Damned just being an noise, I guarantee it.
Eric Satie would be proud of this song.
Lemmy always said The Damned are such a fun band, If they dont move ya, you must be dead.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

gjinblack wrote:
gjinblack wrote:

Thanks

Start with the first - Damned Damned Damned. Then Machine Gun Etiquette. You'll notice the music develop, a bit like the way The Stranglers did but this is down to different musicians in this case. Next up Strawberries then The Black Album and Phantasmagoria.
If you're still hanging in Evil Spirits from 2018 is worth a listen too.

Curtain Call on The Black Album is their Sewer. It lasts a full side of an album. Bloody hippies!

Thanks I will do it now I've got some time on my hands and can't go anywhere

I Hate You !
punkerdgray
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by punkerdgray »

My first love was slade at high school in the early seventies :grin: