An example of how the Daily Mail lies

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

cassini
Ugly
Ugly

An example of how the Daily Mail lies

Post by cassini »

Some of you might have read recently about the unfortunate British lady who was arrested in Dubai for having one glass of wine on a flight from gatwick.

The true facts are:

- she was a Swedish / Iranian National - not British at all
- her passport had expired and the immigration officer refused her entry to the UAE, as any British immigration officer would do.
- she then showed a second, Iranian, passport. But Iranian passport holders need a visa to enter the UAE - without a visa she could only stay for 96 hours

- upon being told this she swore at and insulted the immigration officer and took photos of him (which would also be a criminal offense in the UK)
- he called for assistance. She swore at the security guards and made blasphemous and profane comments about Islam
- - she was held in custody for less than 24 hours and was separated from her daughter only while she was being questioned
- she was released as soon as a relative had flown out to accompany her back to the UK

Just a thought - I wonder if the British immigration authorities would have been so lenient to an illegal Iranian immigrant cursing and swearing at immigration officers at Heathrow ....

-
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Re: An example of how the Daily Mail lies

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

My Mum and Dad get the Mail n Saturday. God knows why as they are fairly rational. It really is an awful paper. Full of paranoias, fuelling fear, anxiety and xenophobia.
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I don’t know why anyone would read any of the newspapers, they are all full of shit, bollocks and lies. I’ve never bought even one and never will. I guess it’s entertainment to some though and brightens up many people’s depressing lives/ jobs so don’t have a problem with that if it makes em happy for a few minutes of their day.
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

I think there are some great newspapers out there, with first class jounalism. I would consider The Guardian to be the best newspaper in the world, followed by the FT, the New York Times etc. The tabloids are not representative of the industry - i love reading a good newspaper with really well written and incisive journalism.
teshka
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by teshka »

cassini wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 15:57 I think there are some great newspapers out there, with first class jounalism. I would consider The Guardian to be the best newspaper in the world, followed by the FT, the New York Times etc. The tabloids are not representative of the industry - i love reading a good newspaper with really well written and incisive journalism.
I agree. The Guardian has gone a bit feminist in not always a good way but still essentially the best paper. I read them all online and the Daily Mail is particularly dangerous because it is popular. New York Times best of the American ones.
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

Two things in a newspaper you can believe:
1) The price
2) The date
'Scaffolding pays good bread'
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

THe Guardian..... :lol:
rotten thoughts
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

It’s a very good newspaper - the only one to report in recent days in fact that Jeremy Corbyn never laid a wreath at the Munich terrorists grave in Tunisia ... because, in fact, the Munich terrorists are buried in Libya, not Tunisia ....
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Yes, he just laid it at the grave of the mastermind of the terrorist attack on the Israelis, and doubtless hundreds of other Jews too over the years. The utter cunt
rotten thoughts
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Is the first post an example of how they "lie" as such, or is it just an example of incredibly poor journalism and even worse fact-checking? Have they sacrificed the latter in the race to be first with the news? I just wonder whether it's reasonable to say that someone actually say down and decided to lie about what, on the face of it (I haven't done any fact-checking myself, and indeed hadn't heard the story), are pretty blatant errors. Sure, we all know that papers have their own slant on things, but to deliberately print incorrect things as facts seems a bit unbelievable.

A similar example - on another forum, there's a discussion about the bridge collapse in Italy. One poster shares a photo that his friend, who lives in the area, has sent him, showing big lumps of missing concrete and exposed, rusty strengthening bars. Unfortunately other people on the thread are in the civil engineering community, and fairly quickly show that not only is that photo not of the bridge in question, it's also a very old photo that has been used in more than one trade journal to illustrate something. You could read that as the poster knowingly posting any old photo of a crumbling concrete bridge just to stoke the fire, or that the poster genuinely was sent this by someone who he trusted and thought it was right, and either his friend had an agenda, or just sent him any old photo. Or anywhere in between.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Summer Dreamer wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 22:02 Two things in a newspaper you can believe:
1) The price
2) The date
Exactly. There’s no real reporting of what’s actually happening in the world, the important stuff, the truth, and what we are fed is all bollocks anyway, ‘Journalists’ are told what they can and cannot say and if they tried to tell the truth they would be fired. As I said before newspapers are just another form of entertainment, nothing worth reading of note really.
I like to get news/information from people like John Pilger, Noam Chomsky etc. people may laugh but even David Icke to a certain extent.

Ok........I’ll get me coat.
:grin:
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: I like to get news/information from people like John Pilger, Noam Chomsky etc. people may laugh but even David Icke to a certain extent.

Ok........I’ll get me coat.
:grin:
David Icke is stretching it a bit...
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.