Leeds - Interesting?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

User avatar
MiB81
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1561
Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 11:44
Location: Moving like a coin in the air
Contact:

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by MiB81 » 01 May 2016, 12:15

Burn e 77 wrote:
Jon the Impaler wrote:Not much into cities these days , prefer to relax in countryside - but I've been to Leeds a few times and the surrounding countryside - Yorkshire I'd say is a fantastic country , some lovely scenery but more often than not its going to be wet .A lot of times I've just travelled through it to get to the lake district , rather take the longer route via A1 and across the pennines than the dull M6 route . As for Leeds - did the Leeds half marathon in the early 90's , went to Elland Rd a few times ( as a Leeds supporter ) . Interesting ? As good as any other British city I'd say - no better no worse .They're all much of a muchness - traffic , congestion , rush .
Yes, I prefer the countryside too... Lived in Biggin Hill Kent for years in a lovely bungalow with a massive garden backed on to beautiful farmlands mainly sanctuaries for horses and donkeys just 10 mins walk and you had the famous and very Interesting Second World War aerodrome known as 'The Bump' by 1940's Spitfire & Hurricane pilots... actually called 'RAF Biggin Hill... I had badgers, foxes, squirrels AND massive Buzzards that would swoop down and try and grab the squirrels. The badger used to visit the garden every other week, it had a ferocious temper but loved all the grub I left out for the foxes. I had a valley on one side of me too with beautiful green scenery. I would get the opportunity to watch a famous Second World War Spitfire fly over my garden sometimes on a daily basis in the height of Summer called 'The Spirit Of Kent' there where 2 Spitfires hangered on the aerodrome known as 'The Heritage' hanger (kinda small RAF Spitfire & Hurricane museum
)... Best of all there was no Rail Station or Tube Station... just a little bus shuttle that travelled to Bromley where the train link to London was where I worked... Will move back there in 12 months time.
Bernie
er, get back on subject please...Leeds.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...

User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33860
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by theraven1979 » 01 May 2016, 12:30

When I first started drinking in the 90s Leeds was a shithole. Hardly any decent pubs, shops boarded up, the lot.

I remember going into Leeds with friends and we'd find it difficult deciding where to go, and when we did, it would be some slightly better lager den than any of the other lager dens in town. Now it's completely different (and it's only really transformed over the last 10-15 years). There's dozens of quality pubs, restaurants, shops etc. Spoilt for choice now. Could do with some more decent music venues though.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by Burn e 77 » 01 May 2016, 18:18

Homer wrote:Its a twat to drive round
Any Interesting driving tips "Homer" would be much appreciated fella! :wink:
Bernie
Something better change!

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by Burn e 77 » 01 May 2016, 18:20

theraven1979 wrote:When I first started drinking in the 90s Leeds was a shithole. Hardly any decent pubs, shops boarded up, the lot.

I remember going into Leeds with friends and we'd find it difficult deciding where to go, and when we did, it would be some slightly better lager den than any of the other lager dens in town. Now it's completely different (and it's only really transformed over the last 10-15 years). There's dozens of quality pubs, restaurants, shops etc. Spoilt for choice now. Could do with some more decent music venues though.

Jim
That's Interesting, thanks for sharing :wink:
Bernie
Something better change!

User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33860
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by theraven1979 » 01 May 2016, 18:34

About 20 years ago Homer wanted me to direct him in through the fairly complex Leeds inner city ring road. It took him about 5 mins of him talking to me when he remembered I didn't drive at the time.

Jim
Burn e 77 wrote:
Homer wrote:Its a twat to drive round
Any Interesting driving tips "Homer" would be much appreciated fella! :wink:
Bernie
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

User avatar
jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1131
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 05:50

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by jaydee1964 » 01 May 2016, 20:47

It certainly is a nightmare to drive around . That's why I've been away I've been stuck on the bastard ring road all this time .
Anyway can't stand leeds as it's full of wezzies . I'm pretty sure that each and every wezzie isn't the cleverest twat on earth but I'm yet to meet one

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."

User avatar
jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1131
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 05:50

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by jaydee1964 » 01 May 2016, 20:48

I've yet to meet one :D

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 6800
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 19:30
Location: Biggin Hill Kent

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by Burn e 77 » 01 May 2016, 21:22

jaydee1964 wrote:It certainly is a nightmare to drive around . That's why I've been away I've been stuck on the bastard ring road all this time .
Anyway can't stand leeds as it's full of wezzies . I'm pretty sure that each and every wezzie isn't the cleverest twat on earth but I'm yet to meet one
Now that's an Interesting post "jaydee" Being that I'm a Sarf Landaghn geezah I have no knowledge of what a "wezzie" is? Please eloborate... thanks fella :wink:
Bernie
Something better change!

User avatar
jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1131
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 05:50

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by jaydee1964 » 01 May 2016, 21:38

Sorry dear boy wezzie is someone from West Yorkshire . Like I say I've met tons of them and they come across as" done that, seen that , been there before you , had a better time too etc etc.....

Basically if you had an elephant they'd have a cage to keep it in

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."

User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33860
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by theraven1979 » 01 May 2016, 22:00

jaydee1964 wrote:Sorry dear boy wezzie is someone from West Yorkshire . Like I say I've met tons of them and they come across as" done that, seen that , been there before you , had a better time too etc etc.....

Basically if you had an elephant they'd have a cage to keep it in
Never met anyone from West Yorks like that. We're pretty humble IMO.

Maybe the people you meet just have more life/travel experience than you?

Jim

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

User avatar
jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1131
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 05:50

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by jaydee1964 » 02 May 2016, 05:13

theraven1979 wrote:
jaydee1964 wrote:Sorry dear boy wezzie is someone from West Yorkshire . Like I say I've met tons of them and they come across as" done that, seen that , been there before you , had a better time too etc etc.....

Basically if you had an elephant they'd have a cage to keep it in
Never met anyone from West Yorks like that. We're pretty humble IMO.

Maybe the people you meet just have more life/travel experience than you?

Jim

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say that . People tend to generalise, I'm not saying the whole lot are like that I'm just saying most that I've come across .

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."

User avatar
jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1131
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 05:50

Re: Leeds - Interesting?

Post by jaydee1964 » 02 May 2016, 08:47

Ok fair comments and apologies all round if any upset has been caused . Over the past year iv spent the majority of my life around leeds and the surrounding area. And coming from the sea side of Yorkshire (born and bred,) believe me I'm glad to see the back of it . Leeds just like anywhere else has its good as well as it's bad .

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."

Post Reply