Favourite vinyl possession

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Favourite vinyl possession

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Burn e 77 wrote:
Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:The flooring in my bathroom. Oh it's lovely!
Japanese import vinyl flooring, or regular British? :wink:
Bernie 77
jap import mate, with obi! Keep tripping over the damn thing.
Sweat and shite and blood!
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Strangs related : the Japanse ones

Non Strangs : mono Revolver, mono Headquarters (Monkees) - first pressing of Perverted by Language (Fall) and my stack of early ska and reggae and Phil Spector 45s
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

The Japanese imports always gave a feeling of quality to them - thicker cardboard for the sleeves, thicker vinyl for the record itself. I haven't got them all, didn't buy them when Adrians used to list them at £7.95 each, but I did get the "Great Lost" trilogy from a local store, and an X-Certs (which is now damaged, unfortunately) from slightly further afield. I think I'm a bit more proud of some of the more unusual ones, I've got a copy of B&W from Singapore for example, just because they're not so popular.

I gave up on collecting vinyl some time ago, I can't be bothered with the "completist" thing any more. I don't really play it, my ears don't make it sound any better than a CD version if it ever was, and I listen mostly in the car where any subtle differences wouldn't be audible in any case.

I couldn't really pick out a favourite - maybe it's my 7" Girl from the Snow Country, because I got JJ to sign it at one of the HMV stores and it prompted an actual conversation, in contrast to me usually not having anything to say on the odd occasion I meet a band member. Or maybe it's my Pink EP because it was the first "special" vinyl I bought way back when the idea of collecting records rather than just buying them to play was new to me. Or perhaps it's my really scabby Live X-Certs UK release bought from the Woolworths bargain bin, because it's the first Stranglers record I ever bought, and the one that got me into the band.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Grip original single, plus first Motorhead album with a tiny pic of me in the crowd (Roundhouse 1977, supporting the Damned).
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:
Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:The flooring in my bathroom. Oh it's lovely!
Japanese import vinyl flooring, or regular British? :wink:
Bernie 77
jap import mate, with obi! Keep tripping over the damn thing.
:grin:
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

droopsnoot wrote:The Japanese imports always gave a feeling of quality to them - thicker cardboard for the sleeves, thicker vinyl for the record itself. I haven't got them all, didn't buy them when Adrians used to list them at £7.95 each, but I did get the "Great Lost" trilogy from a local store, and an X-Certs (which is now damaged, unfortunately) from slightly further afield. I think I'm a bit more proud of some of the more unusual ones, I've got a copy of B&W from Singapore for example, just because they're not so popular.

I gave up on collecting vinyl some time ago, I can't be bothered with the "completist" thing any more. I don't really play it, my ears don't make it sound any better than a CD version if it ever was, and I listen mostly in the car where any subtle differences wouldn't be audible in any case.

I couldn't really pick out a favourite - maybe it's my 7" Girl from the Snow Country, because I got JJ to sign it at one of the HMV stores and it prompted an actual conversation, in contrast to me usually not having anything to say on the odd occasion I meet a band member. Or maybe it's my Pink EP because it was the first "special" vinyl I bought way back when the idea of collecting records rather than just buying them to play was new to me. Or perhaps it's my really scabby Live X-Certs UK release bought from the Woolworths bargain bin, because it's the first Stranglers record I ever bought, and the one that got me into the band.
Great reply to my original post "droopsnout" and interesting too. I don't collect music in any form anymore, but I remember eagerly waiting for the postman to deliver my new edition ADIANS catalogue! Happy days... As for Woolworths, I bought my Meninblack album from them back in the day when it was 1st released.
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

evonx wrote:Strangs related : the Japanse ones

Non Strangs : mono Revolver, mono Headquarters (Monkees) - first pressing of Perverted by Language (Fall) and my stack of early ska and reggae and Phil Spector 45s
Japanese one's ARE best... Fall album is a classic too! What labels are your early Ska singles on... would be interested to know?
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Boody wrote:Grip original single, plus first Motorhead album with a tiny pic of me in the crowd (Roundhouse 1977, supporting the Damned).
I remember buying my 1st Stranglers single Grip, I bought it in a small independent record store in Camden... I remember visiting that same small shop back in 1984 and buying another copy of it in the thick card sleeve. Happy days!
Something better change!
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

All my vinyl is sacred (especially The Strangler stuff) even the crappy, scuffed to f**k 7"s from the 70s through to my latest 12" purchase bought last week.

I suppose pride of place goes to first four Good Vibration singles - and they still get played.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
davidwoo
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidwoo »

My favourite vinyl Are
The Raven 3D Signed inner cover

The first Clash album signed by all the original members
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

What labels are your early Ska singles on... would be interested to know?
Well, loads of Trojan as you might have expected, and Prince Buster (JA pressings) / Bluebeat (UK pressings) plus a couple on Harry J, Treasure Isle, Island and Pama.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Rockula wrote:Strangler's related....'Rattus'. Original. Sealed. With sticker and 7".
I bought 3 copies. 2 got worn out with constant play.
This last one will stay sealed.

Other. 'In A Rut' - The Ruts. On People Unite. First pressing. 1,000 only.
Not mint but fair.
Stored away now.
bloody hell,if only I'd had your foresight!

my vinyl's are mostly wrecked,I do have a copy of Spain (45 spanish import) that has never been played,must be 30 years old

my absolute favourite is Rattus (Portugese)

non Stranglers possibly I'm an Upstart (green vinyl)
See You At The Bar