Rebellion Festival - Who's going?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Rebellion Festival - Who's going?

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Me for one, and my old mate Doggus! Fuckin brilliant weekend it is. This is the sort of festival the Stranglers should be playing, not all the arty farty shite. After all, it's the kind of people who attend Rebellion and the like who made the band what they are today.
Last edited by Stevie.T-'up north' on 26 Jul 2015, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sweat and shite and blood!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Rebellion Festival - Who's going?

Post by Greatkudu »

Didn't they play their once? I see Hugh Is playing.It's a great festival wen't in 2007.Maybe the band don't want the Punk label,and with all the other gigs they are doing,the diary is full.
Stevie.T-'up north'

Greatkudu wrote:Didn't they play their once? I see Hugh Is playing.It's a great festival wen't in 2007.Maybe the band don't want the Punk label,and with all the other gigs they are doing,the diary is full.

Yeah, Morecambe in 2005, when it was called 'Wasted' (formerly Holidays in the Sun). Was a cracking line-up in the Market Arena that night - 999, Subhumans, Toyah, Undertones, Angelic Upstarts with the Stranglers headlining. Was a shit performance though, and there were obvious tensions backstage. As for the band possibly not wanting the punk association anymore, you sadly might be right. Personally i think it stinks though because it's these so-called 'punks' who catapulted the Stranglers' career. I find it annoying at times, as the band embrace the punk connection whenever it suits but then rebuff it when it doesn't. Thankfully, their old friends/adversaries don't think that way otherwise festivals like Rebellion wouldn't exist.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I don't think The Stranglers would have to be worried about 'punk affiliations' if they played at Rebellion.
Although there's a lot of punk bands that play, from 'traditional' 70's style through Oi!, hardcore and all points inbetween, there's lots of other styles of music represented. It's not just a punk festival
There's post-punk, ska, reggae, rock 'n' roll, folk, electronic, Goth...

I mean, c'mon, Chaz 'n' Dave have played it. Not to mention the Bay City Rollers (...I said NOT to mention Bay City Rollers....damn... :) )

And I believe it's Andy Scott's 'Sweet' this year.

We used to go every year but the lack of seating for the disabled meant my wife found it quite uncomfortable.
When we realised we were spending more time in the pub so that we could sit down we knew it was over for us.

But I'd recommend it to anyone who can stand up for hours on end.
ManInBrown
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

I've been 4 times in the last 5 years, but giving it a miss this year. Each year i keep hoping the Stranglers would appear on the list. Would like to know if they've been asked lately ? From what i've seen on the FB page, some bands ask for stupid money (£70k or so). Been meaning to do one of the 1 day events instead, which have a better line up of known acts and appears to be better value for money.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
Stevie.T-'up north'

Rockula wrote:I don't think The Stranglers would have to be worried about 'punk affiliations' if they played at Rebellion.
Although there's a lot of punk bands that play, from 'traditional' 70's style through Oi!, hardcore and all points inbetween, there's lots of other styles of music represented. It's not just a punk festival
There's post-punk, ska, reggae, rock 'n' roll, folk, electronic, Goth...

I mean, c'mon, Chaz 'n' Dave have played it. Not to mention the Bay City Rollers (...I said NOT to mention Bay City Rollers....damn... :) )

And I believe it's Andy Scott's 'Sweet' this year.
True. Predominantly a punk festival but also with other acts from the time. Boomtown Rats this year - with Geldof.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Rockula wrote: We used to go every year but the lack of seating for the disabled meant my wife found it quite uncomfortable.
When we realised we were spending more time in the pub so that we could sit down we knew it was over for us.

But I'd recommend it to anyone who can stand up for hours on end.
That's a big problem to have and I've tried the sitting down in a wheelchair at gigs, but you just get knocked into/lager spilled all over you or somebody moves you out of their way when you're sat in the wheelchair!!
elleninblack

Post by elleninblack »

I might be, depends on my gig buddy...
Hagakure with perfume...
Audreyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Audreyinblack »

Me, I'm going for the very first time 8)
Stevie.T-'up north'

Audreyinblack wrote:Me, I'm going for the very first time 8)

You'll love it Audrey. Fantastic atmosphere with some great lesser known bands - as well as the big names of course. Be good to see Hugh there too. At least he doesn't shun it like some!! I remember when he played Rebellion (Wasted as it was called then) back in 2006. Felt a little apprehensive for him as he was in the largest venue immediately before the headliners - the mighty Cockney Rejects - so the place was packed with a real hardcore 'oi' crowd. They fuckin loved him though. By far the best time I've seen Hugh play.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I believe they need to get invited to play the festival, before they actually play it. I would like to go to one day. But too much travelling from Darn Sarf. I can't believe Hugh's actually on the bill this year!.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I believe they need to get invited to play the festival, before they actually play it. I would like to go to one day. But too much travelling from Darn Sarf. I can't believe Hugh's actually on the bill this year!.