Ugly

Re: My Story - The Dorset Destroyers

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Well the time has come, the moment we've been working our arses off for the last 6 months.

Tomorrow is our 1st Taster Session and we find out if the publicity has worked and if we have enough players to form a Club. If you know anyone in Dorset who would like to give it a bash, then pop down between 1 and 3 tomorrow :smt001 :smt001

http://thedorsetdestroyers.weebly.com/t ... sions.html
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Good luck with your taster sessions, Sport needs people like you at Grass Roots.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Toiler On The Sea wrote:Good luck with your taster sessions, Sport needs people like you at Grass Roots.
Thank you :wink:

I was nominated an award this week as well for my Outstanding Contribution and determination to Wheelchair Rugby. I felt quite embarrassed having to go up and get the award. It was presented by the Mayor but I wanted it for the whole Club as I cannot run it without my wife and mates. Too big a job so I asked them to send us a new certificate with the Dorset Destroyers on it as well.

I can't quite believe everything that has happened this week. We also had a Freshers fair today in Bmth, plus a Quiz and Raffle night on Tuesday which raised £442.50, plus we got 2 grants, one for £2600 and one which we did not even apply for for £200!!

It's quite surreal really :grin: :grin: :grin:
meanie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by meanie »

Go On my son... way to go Nick :grin:
I'll see you in the sewer!!!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

meanie wrote:Go On my son... way to go Nick :grin:
:lol: :lol:

Thank you. Hopefully we will get a Daily Echo photographer down today as the Mayor said he would get one for the launch. We've got some Councillors and MPs coming as well. No 1 son will be taking some piccies as well, so that will be interesting. :lol: :lol:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

HOLY FUCK!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!

You know when you wake up after a very heavy night of exercising,well I haven't even got to bed yet and I feel fecked!!!

We were being taught how to ram into others by forcing your back into the Wheelchair and therefore knocking the opponents into hell!!!

Great idea.....except when you are trying it out on a 16 stone ex Soldier - He's a fucking monster and I got to train with him :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYQx1W9axlY 1.54 - That was what we were practising!!

The best part about the Sport (Apart from knocking 7 bells out of each other) is that no one is allowed to touch each other, unless the ball is in the lap of the opponent otherwise you get sent off. Even if you fall onto the other person in a head on collision :lol: :lol: :smt005 :smt005 Try not touching someone when you have just hit them at 20mph face to face!!!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

We've just been awarded £2,600 for our very 1st Wheelchair Rugby Chair by Steve Bernard Foundation and £200 from Yellow Buses as we were nominated by bus travellers for an award.

Plus our raffle/quiz night raised £442.50 last week :shock: :shock: :grin: :grin:

I am quite stunned by the generosity of people and charities to help us out. But I could not have done this alone. My wife and 2 mates have helped enormously......no I take that back......my wife is the cement to our bricks, so without her there would be no stability. :wink:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

OK, I'll shut up now, but this is a picture of me and some of our team on Sunday 28th Sept. I am 4th from the left with the Mayor on my right.

https://www.facebook.com/thedorsetdestr ... =1&theater
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

http://buzz.bournemouth.ac.uk/wheelchai ... to-dorset/

We had the devastating news last night that we had not been accepted for our £21,000 grant (We applied in July 2014, when we had £31 in our account, no players, no equipment, no place to play) so it's hardly surprising, but a very painful blow

Then this evening we found this article about us (See above) which is fantastic for us :grin: :grin: :grin:

But we are going to brush ourselves down and try again :wink: