My Story - The Dorset Destroyers

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Re: My Story - The Dorset Destroyers

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

It's quite incredible. Every week blows me away with people's kindness or we get more funding to help us out (We've raised £62,000 in 9 months and still need £70,000) but after our Charlie came back, an e mail came in asking if we had any players who we consider good enough to get into the Team GB Development Squad!!!!

So, we've put our Charlie's name forward and see what happens. They may just turn round and say no, because he's 17 and too young or whatever...but hey if you don't try you don't get. All I care about is that he's happy. If he's happy then I've achieved perfection. Of course I would love my players to all be in Team GB or Ireland or whatever, but if they aren't happy then what's the point. You've got to look after them :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

OHhhhhhhh god I went all fatherly then :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

Well, if your players aren't ready for national status just now, they may get there in the future - and if not them, then maybe the ones that come after them - this thing can only grow and grow! And people are having fun with it, it's not all about the "achievement" - good times all round! No wonder you feel all fatherly!

And YAY CHARLIE!!! :smt038
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

It is so good to see how many people's lives it has affected. Parents, friends and families come along and see us play sometimes or meet up for drinks afterwards. We've had a donation from a group of local business men who raised £7,800 in one night for us!!!!

How the hell can you raise so much in such a short time. It blows my mind. And like you say Bill it may not be now, tomorrow or next year, but hey if you don't aim high you won't get it and it's just such ridiculous amounts of fun running this club. Even at 3am filling out grant forms (Ok, I lied it's not fun doing that bit) But when you see a Mum crying because their son is playing sport for the 1st time ever in their 30 year life you know that you are doing something for the good of people.

It stopped being my Club on Day 2. The people of Dorset just took it under their wing and let it grow :grin: :grin: :grin:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Well our Charlie came back to the fold today and he's a changed man!!!

He's improved enormously since we last played together!!! It's quite astounding what one weekend of sport can do to someone!! :grin: :grin:

Which is great for our club :smile:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

I received a message today from an Invictus Games Gold Medal winner today asking if he could train with us for a while!!!!

Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm just a tad excited :lol: :lol: It's an honour to have any serving or ex services playing alongside us and what with our superb Coach as well, it just makes you feel so happy :grin: :grin:
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

And, I should imagine, very inspiring to the team that he should consider you guys good enough to train with...

Onwards and upwards! :grin:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

bill wrote:And, I should imagine, very inspiring to the team that he should consider you guys good enough to train with...

Onwards and upwards! :grin:
I never thought of that, I'm just too excited :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Well Ben Steele turned up yesterday (Invictus Games Gold Medal winner) and he was superb. I was being man marked by him and it was fucking hard work to get him off my back!!!! Luckily I am good at weaving in and out of tight spaces, but even so....he's shit hot!!!

This is our new press release as we moved to a new venue because we were drowning in numbers!!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/d ... _strength/
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

I got an e mail from the Head Coach of Invictus Games/Help for Heroes yesterday, asking if we would like to come up to Gloucester to train with the Invictus Team next Saturday!!!!!

HOLY FUCCCCKKKKKKKKKK. This is just a dream come true.

So, the Dorset Destroyers are off on our travels up North next Saturday to train with them :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Off to sunny Thornbury for a training session with the Invictus Wheelchair Rugby Squad :grin: :grin:

God I'm so nervous!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Off to sunny Thornbury for a training session with the Invictus Wheelchair Rugby Squad :grin: :grin:

God I'm so nervous!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Good luck, enjoy, and try not to get pureed!