Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: WiB Only

Post by Bag Lady » 27 May 2017, 15:16

airflamesred wrote:
27 May 2017, 12:55
Cauliflower cheese.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.

Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain.

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat.

Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese and set aside. Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.

Beautiful
Any other members of the WI on this forum? Or just airflamesred?

Would suggest that the cauliflower would be a bit overcooked in this recipe though.
No one can win against kipple.

airflamesred
Rats Rally

Post by airflamesred » 28 May 2017, 17:06

How about this from Michelle Salter. Interestingly this recipe is based on ideas from Fanny Craddock no less.

In this series, I’ll be showing how the addition of butter, cream, cheese, bacon, pancetta, and a variety of other ingredients can turn a humble, health-giving vegetable into a delicious, cholesterol-raising, artery-thickening dish.

First up, it’s my historic cauliflower cheese.

Ingredients

1 large cauliflower
500ml milk
2 heaped teaspoons of cornflour
1 large knob of butter
1 teaspoon of mustard powder or Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Salt and coarse ground black pepper
130g (4-5oz) of extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
Four rashers of smoked bacon

Method

Cut the cauliflower into florets. Add the florets to a large saucepan of boiling water and boil for five minutes (don’t let the cauliflower go too soft). Drain the cauliflower and tip into an oven proof dish.

In the meantime, grill the bacon until crispy. Allow to cool, before breaking into small pieces. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4.

Dissolve the cornflour in a small quantity of cold milk. Pour the cornflour mix and a little more of the milk into a saucepan and add a knob of butter.

Over a gentle heat, add some of the cheese, along with the mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Gradually add the rest of the cheese and milk, slowly stirring all the time. The sauce should thicken at the point it's just about to come to the boil.

Remove from the heat and pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower florets. Sprinkle the crispy bacon bits over the top. Bake on gas mark 4 for about 20 mins until brown and bubbling.

Delicious as a meal its own, or as a side dish with roast chicken.

And in the interest of balance you'll note that I have gone to some lengths here to get the words 'Fanny' and 'knob' included.

airflamesred
Rats Rally

Post by airflamesred » 28 May 2017, 17:12

Back on topic here, perhaps some guest WiBs might be invited on, to really take this thead to a whole new level. What about Caz Campbell? Looking at Hughs Schedule, she doesn't appear to be too busy and probably has some interesting tales to tell.
And I don't want to appear presumptuous but I would have thought she would have some useful input regarding any proposed trips to Rigby & Peller.

airflamesred
Rats Rally

Post by airflamesred » 08 Mar 2018, 21:27

May I be the first to wish you all a happy international women's day.

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 08 Mar 2018, 23:10

airflamesred wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:27
May I be the first to wish you all a happy international women's day.
You need to get up a lot earlier to be the first. And where are the flowers?

I'm a happy international woman but wait until Ravenette arrives...... Tick tock.

bellainblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by bellainblack » 02 Apr 2018, 20:17

Bag Lady wrote:
27 May 2017, 15:16
airflamesred wrote:
27 May 2017, 12:55
Cauliflower cheese.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.

Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain.

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat.

Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese and set aside. Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.

Beautiful
Any other members of the WI on this forum? Or just airflamesred?

Would suggest that the cauliflower would be a bit overcooked in this recipe though.
Can I suggest a twist in this I put broccoli and leeks with mine (the leeks are a welsh thing but rather nice addition) you need to make sure the veg is al dente which means slight crunch to the veg, I make a roux sauce and infuse bay leaf (fresh from the garden if you have one) and strong cheese and a teaspoon of honey mustard which gives it a slight sweetness to it. I let my veg cool before pouring over the sauce and finish off in the oven then the grill to brown it in the top. Fanny Bella
She was poetry in a world that was still learning the alphabet....

airflamesred
Rats Rally

Post by airflamesred » 02 Apr 2018, 22:02

bellainblack wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 20:17
I make a roux sauce and infuse bay leaf (fresh from the garden if you have one) and strong cheese and a teaspoon of honey mustard which gives it a slight sweetness to it. I let my veg cool before pouring over the sauce and finish off in the oven then the grill to brown it in the top. Fanny Bella
Wow Infusions, gardens , Upping the culinary pace there.

Big hopes for my raspberries again this year. It's a reliable crop, unlike the cherry tree; like Lindsay Lohan!

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 03 Apr 2018, 21:39

airflamesred wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 22:02
bellainblack wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 20:17
I make a roux sauce and infuse bay leaf (fresh from the garden if you have one) and strong cheese and a teaspoon of honey mustard which gives it a slight sweetness to it. I let my veg cool before pouring over the sauce and finish off in the oven then the grill to brown it in the top. Fanny Bella
Wow Infusions, gardens , Upping the culinary pace there.

Big hopes for my raspberries again this year. It's a reliable crop, unlike the cherry tree; like Lindsay Lohan!
Poor weather causes cherry loss.

Raspberries don't mind being blown a bit.

airflamesred
Rats Rally

Post by airflamesred » 03 Apr 2018, 21:43

Bag Lady wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 21:39
Raspberries don't mind being blown a bit.
:lol: