THATCHER DEAD

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

kjblack
Rats Rally

Re: THATCHER DEAD

Post by kjblack »

Leaving aside the politics for a minute, I can't remember any other time in my life when British people have publicly celebrated the death of a public figure (and there's been some strong contenders for the honour.) Or when so many hand-wringers have empathised with them although they don't quite agree with the partying. It's just wrong.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

kjblack wrote:Leaving aside the politics for a minute, I can't remember any other time in my life when British people have publicly celebrated the death of a public figure (and there's been some strong contenders for the honour.) Or when so many hand-wringers have empathised with them although they don't quite agree with the partying. It's just wrong.
You are sort of answering your own question there KJ

You can't remember a time when...it's just wrong

It's not spontaneous, it's not for the fun of it, it's not stirred up by the press or Simon Cowell you have to ask yourself why?
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Neither can I, but then again there was from 1945 to 1979 a consensus in British Politics which Thatcher rightly or wrongly tore up. She destroyed whole communities, gave rich people tax breaks, increased consumer taxes and introduced the Poll Tax which seen millions descend on London to protest against, also unheard of in the UK. Instead of dismissing them you have to ask the question Why? What was it about Thatcher that has caused such rage in people? You don't have to empathise with the people revelling in her death to ask that question.

Jim you left a comment, which seemed to endorse Thatchers policy on the selling of social housing, which was a fair policy at the time, we only now see the madness of its legacy. Yes, I wasn't entirely sure what your point was with that post, perhaps you could've clarified instead of getting angry, I mean I never got angry when you tried to bait me earlier. :smt008

kjblack wrote:Leaving aside the politics for a minute, I can't remember any other time in my life when British people have publicly celebrated the death of a public figure (and there's been some strong contenders for the honour.) Or when so many hand-wringers have empathised with them although they don't quite agree with the partying. It's just wrong.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

I give in Jem, I don't know why. Did you party? Why?
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

kjblack wrote:I give in Jem, I don't know why. Did you party? Why?
It's well documented, read my earlier post I didn't party but I'm not sad she is dead quite glad in fact :grin:
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

You're not with Nigel Farage and his merry bunch of "libertarian" dystopians by any chance?

iain wrote:

I'm not flippant at all. I despise the current lot in power with as much venom as I had for the previous shower of shite. None of them are fit to shine Maggie's shoes. Don't mistake my contempt for ball bags like Bragg, Owen Jones etc and Labour as lead by that mong as some sort of unconditional support for Tories who are too feeble to make the decisions the country needs.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not angry, if anything I find it all quite amusing (I imagine your reply will start with something along the lines of "Well I don't think the miners were amused...." which again is putting words in my mouth on a viewpoint I'm not disagreeing with) . I mean you ain't half gone on about it mate. I agree with a lot of what you've said - I'm just not gonna agree with you after every post as it gets a bit boring. That said you've put pretty much everything at Thatcher's door. As we're on the topic. The social housing aspect has many many factors that, yeah Thatch did have a hand in, but to single-handedly hold her to account for this and *some* of your other points just makes your posts look a tad irrelevant/random.

Jim
unbroken69 wrote:Neither can I, but then again there was from 1945 to 1979 a consensus in British Politics which Thatcher rightly or wrongly tore up. She destroyed whole communities, gave rich people tax breaks, increased consumer taxes and introduced the Poll Tax which seen millions descend on London to protest against, also unheard of in the UK. Instead of dismissing them you have to ask the question Why? What was it about Thatcher that has caused such rage in people? You don't have to empathise with the people revelling in her death to ask that question.

Jim you left a comment, which seemed to endorse Thatchers policy on the selling of social housing, which was a fair policy at the time, we only now see the madness of its legacy. Yes, I wasn't entirely sure what your point was with that post, perhaps you could've clarified instead of getting angry, I mean I never got angry when you tried to bait me earlier. :smt008

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

I'm just grateful to "Thatcher the Milk-Snatcher" for stopping free milk for schoolkids. It was vile stuff. Always warm, delivered to the classroom in plastic tubs minging of sour spilled milk. So she wasn't all bad.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

unbroken69 wrote:You're not with Nigel Farage and his merry bunch of "libertarian" dystopians by any chance?

iain wrote:

I'm not flippant at all. I despise the current lot in power with as much venom as I had for the previous shower of shite. None of them are fit to shine Maggie's shoes. Don't mistake my contempt for ball bags like Bragg, Owen Jones etc and Labour as lead by that mong as some sort of unconditional support for Tories who are too feeble to make the decisions the country needs.
On Europe, immigration and the 'green' energy scam, I am with him 100%.
Have to make my mind up on other stuff yet.
rotten thoughts
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Your with UKIP on Europe are you , so you have no problem with them alligning themselves with neo nazi groups like the Italian Lega Nord party in the European parliament EFD group of the lunatic fringe of Europe's right. The "green energy scam" so it's no longer a debate then because a racist gnome with tobacco stained teeth said so. They currently have 11 MEP's who have the worst attendance but some of the highest expense claims, Farage has even boasted about the amount he pisses up against the wall. Yes they're against European Union and are there to tell everyone while having a really good piss up doing so. He scare mongers on immigration and has been caught out on numerous occasions just pulling figures out of the air to suit his racist agenda.

Even Thatcher would have found Farage unpleasant. Most of the UKIP hierarchy are made up of far right Tories and anarcho-capitalists who follow the so called Libertarian economic principles of all round fruit cake Murray Rothbard. They believe all tax is theft and that the whole Welfare State should be abolished. Strangely though while they don't think the state should pay for health, education, roads etc. they think we should keep paying for the lovely Royals. But sure the lovely people at the Daily Mail are behind them and sure don't they tell it like it is.
iain wrote:
unbroken69 wrote:You're not with Nigel Farage and his merry bunch of "libertarian" dystopians by any chance?

iain wrote:

On Europe, immigration and the 'green' energy scam, I am with him 100%.
Have to make my mind up on other stuff yet.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Ffs,, give my head peace. Never read so much tired old ranting left wing rhetoric in my life,
You're worse than Owen Jones.
rotten thoughts
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Iain you're quite welcome to debunk anything I say. Ukip policies or the lack thereof are quite easily destroyed.

Jim, you accuse me of putting words in your mouth and then state you know how my next post will begin. Irony? Again you are welcome to disect any point I make. The social housing shortage today is a direct result of Thatcher selling off the assets and not attempting to replace them, however I'm not that daft to lay it all at her door as we had 13 years of Labour government to reverse the damage done by Thatcher, they didn't. Apart from education and parts of the NHS they actually embraced much of her policies, particularly regarding the financial sector.

iain wrote:Ffs,, give my head peace. Never read so much tired old ranting left wing rhetoric in my life,
You're worse than Owen Jones.