METALLICA VAN SHOES

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

METALLICA VAN SHOES

Post by pigeon »

Metallica have teamed up with van shoes to make their own boot reperesented in each band member and album cover. What will they come up with next?.

I personally like the james shoe and the kill em all one.

http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en_US ... avmet.html
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Re: METALLICA VAN SHOES

Post by suchi »

Yeah Yeah Yeah.. but do any of Metallica actually skate?

Do you skate? :wink:
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
ryaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ryaninblack »

suchi wrote:Yeah Yeah Yeah.. but do any of Metallica actually skate?

Do you skate? :wink:
James Hetfield has missed many shows due to going for a burton on his skateboard.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

So has Suchi! :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Why are this band still going!? I have a lot of time for their seminal '80s prog-thrash stuff like 'Puppets' and 'Justice', and even like The Black Album... but my god did these lot pass their prime a long time ago.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Metallica RULE. they rule they kick ass and they have made some good albums since the black album. Load came out in 1995 and that had some really good songs on it like "Bleeding me", "The Outlaw torn", "King nothing" in 1997 they released the follow up called Reload which is my least favourite album has to be said. In 1998 they released "Garage inc" which was a covers album with the original garage days re re visited which was brilliant and 11 other covers which were quite varied i really liked the dishcarge covers "Free speech for the dumb" and "The more i see" plus the "Mercyfull fate medly", The black sabbath cover "sabbera caddaera/a naitonal accrobat". In 1999 they released the epic "S & M" album live with the san fransico symphony orchestra which contained the supurb "No leaf clover". in 2000 they did the "Mission impossible 2" themsong with "I dissapear".

In 2003 they released "St.anger" which is not one of my favourites but i really like a few songs on it like "Invisible kid" and "Some kind of monster" and "Dirty window" and "frantic" In 2004 they released the film "Some kind of monster" which was a bit poor.

In 2008 they released there best album since "The black album" in my opinon "Death magnetic" which was produced by rick rubin and it was a return to their thrasher days with great songs like "the end of the line" "that was just your life" "Broken beat and scared" "All nightmare long" "the day that never comes" "The judas kiss" and "My appocolypse".

In 2011 they worked with Lou reed as a backing band to make the album "Lulu" of which has some good songs on it i like "The view" the best. and in also 2011 they released an ep of 4 songs from the "death magnetic" sessions called "Beyoned magnetic" to which "Just a bullet away" is my favourite song.

But i have to say my favourite albums will always be "Ride the lightning" & "master of puppets". They have also released a number of live dvds in the last 15 years "live in france for one night","live in mexico city", "The big 4 live from sofia". "Fan can 6",and now they have recentley released the brilliant "Quebec magnetic" and are working on a 3D concert film from the indoor sports palace in Mexico city.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Thanks for the unnecessary band history, pidge :lol:

'Load'/'Reload' are both choc-full of filler, the sound of an overconfident band writing a whole slew of songs and then finding themselves unable to decide what was good and what wasn't, so they recorded and released them all as two overlong and filler-riddled monoliths. Could both albums be condensed down into one reasonably decent 45 minute long album? Sure. But most of the songs would come from 'Load'.

'Garage Inc.' was the band buying itself some time... "hey, we've got no new ideas for songs, so we'll release a covers record". It has no reason to exist, since none of the tracks they covered equal or surpass the originals.

'S&M' was the band buying itself further time... "hey, we've STILL got no new ideas for songs, so we'll do that collaboration record that Michael Kamen suggested we do back in 1991"... In fairness, they pulled it off better than maybe they should have done, but that's beside the point.

'I Disappear' is a terrible song showing how far Metallica had fallen: "hey hey hey, I'm pain, I'm suffer"!? Both the riff and the lyrics are the kind of stuff they could have written in their sleep, and compared to prog-thrash masterpieces like the title track of 'Master Of Puppets' and 'Blackened', it was not very good at all.

'St. Anger' has no good songs on it, and is blighted by the worlds worst snare drum sound.

'Death Magnetic' at least brings back THE METAL into Metallica's sound, but is blighted by the worlds worst mastering job and comes across as being a case of too little, too late. They're long past their prime now.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

*looking for some strong rope*

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote:*looking for some strong rope*

Jim

:smt005 :smt005 !!!
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

pigeon wrote:In 2011 they worked with Lou reed as a backing band to make the album "Lulu" of which has some good songs on it i like "The view" the best.
Oh Pidge, you've let me down. You said you agreed with me that Lulu sucked big time. Don't tell me you listened to it again and have been drawn to the dark side... :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

theraven1979 wrote:*looking for some strong rope*

Jim
I heard David Boni has four spare lengths (from an old photo shoot), at your disposal :smile:
Burn e 77
Something better change!
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Ravenette wrote:
pigeon wrote:In 2011 they worked with Lou reed as a backing band to make the album "Lulu" of which has some good songs on it i like "The view" the best.
Oh Pidge, you've let me down. You said you agreed with me that Lulu sucked big time. Don't tell me you listened to it again and have been drawn to the dark side... :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
I thought the one good part about "lulu" was the "I am the table" bit.

With metallica obviosuly im like most fans and like the first 3 albums "Kill em all", "Ride the lightning", "Master of puppets". ..."And justice for all" is great in places. But the one thing about Metallica they write for themselves first and formost and not for the fans. So with the "Load" and "Reload" albums was expierments but diddn't turn out how they had planned as they say they were suppose to sound like Killing joke,as that what they were aiming for that type of sound but they spent too long on it and it diddn't work out that way.

I feel the magic of the first 3 albums had a lot to do with Cliff Burtons influence,his passing changed the whole of the bands sound and i think everything they have done post his death has been an exersise in keeping his spirit alive,and keeping their roots and what they originally started out as in the mix. Metallica started out life as a cover band and i feel in places they are like an echo of all their favourite groups. I think the main groups Metallica wanted to acknowledge were Diamond head,Mercyfull fait,Discharge,Thin lizzy, Black Sabbath and Nick cave. Some of the songs like Turn the page were more to do with the lyrics than the song as they always wanted to cover it.

And most recentley covers of "Remember Tomorrow" by Iron maiden and "when a blind man cries" by Deep purple. With the "S & M" project they always had it in mind from when they did the string section for "Nothing else matters" and Micheal camen said they should work with an orchestra,this was fully promoted by Lars as he wanted to emulate his heroes in Deep Purple,but also Cliff burton was a huge fan of Sebbastain bach, and a great example of that is the mid section in the instrumental in "Orion" on Master Of Puppets was Bach influenced. As you can guess by now i can talk about them for a bit but with "St.anger" that was mainly a real life "Binge and purge" to what the band and mainly James was going through at the time with his thearpy sessions so most of the songs were about his recovery.

Onto "Death magnetic" the reason why it is produced the way it is because Rick Rubin wanted to take the band away from the Pro tools technology and get them to play in a live situation again on an analouge recording setup. The album was mixed when the band were on tour in europe and they listend to the final mixes in a tent on a laptop. what happend was everything in the recording the guitars had been put up maxium volume, and the drums had been put up maxium volume at the same time. So it pushed the system it was on to its breaking point to a point were the thing was about to blow up!,which is why you have the crackeling noises on "The day that never comes" i think it adds character to the songs.