"brother" John Robb

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ffirG
SHAKESPEARO

"brother" John Robb

Post by ffirG »

Before he was giving 9/10 :twisted: Found this when I was topping up the garden mulch pile.
Attachments
img-2171028-0001.jpg
img-2171028-0001.jpg (234.33 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: "brother" John Robb

Post by MULLY »

MIAOW!! :lol: :lol:
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

'10' review?
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Looks very badly edited, to fit into that small space.

So he maybe didn't like it at the time???????
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

This man annoys me. I always think of that line from that Ash b-side, "for the critics who failed as musicians...".
He's such a hanger-on.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nowt wrong with brother John IMHO.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think describing him as a "hanger on" is a tad harsh. He's out there doing it IMO. Living, breathing it. Writing about it, talking about it, doing it himself (Goldblade for example). And he's a top bloke with a real genuine interest and excitement of all things Stranglers.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:I think describing him as a "hanger on" is a tad harsh. He's out there doing it IMO. Living, breathing it. Writing about it, talking about it, doing it himself (Goldblade for example). And he's a top bloke with a real genuine interest and excitement of all things Stranglers.

Jim
I'm sure he's a top bloke and his enthusiasm for the band is commendable but I don't regard him with any more reverance than any other poster on this forum. He comes across as a proponent of every cliche of the punk/new wave era and I find Goldblade to be one of the most derivative bands out there. They reminded me of Busted with an added 30 years, seen them three times now and the highlight was that old dude doing extra drums at the Stranglers xmas 2004 gig... If he's not a hanger on then he's at least a wannabe. Just in my humble opinion, like.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Fair comment.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

parasiteinblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:I think describing him as a "hanger on" is a tad harsh. He's out there doing it IMO. Living, breathing it. Writing about it, talking about it, doing it himself (Goldblade for example). And he's a top bloke with a real genuine interest and excitement of all things Stranglers.

Jim
I'm sure he's a top bloke and his enthusiasm for the band is commendable but I don't regard him with any more reverance than any other poster on this forum. He comes across as a proponent of every cliche of the punk/new wave era and I find Goldblade to be one of the most derivative bands out there. They reminded me of Busted with an added 30 years, seen them three times now and the highlight was that old dude doing extra drums at the Stranglers xmas 2004 gig... If he's not a hanger on then he's at least a wannabe. Just in my humble opinion, like.
Agree, one of these johnny come latley types,that sees a window of opportunity. Had no real intrest in talking to him at the convention. But then The Stranglers aren't going to get someone not like that for the event.Good opportunist though.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Some harsh but nearly true comments. Don't forget he started in music well before Goldblade and his journo career - formed The Membranes in 77, produced and ran a fanzine when with them - moved on to ZigZag, Sounds & Melody Maker - co-managed & produced Therapy? & Cornershop - first 'Brit' to interview Nirvana - coined the phrase Britpop - written a few books. Hardly a johnny come lately by anyones estimation?
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

parasiteinblack wrote:This man annoys me. I always think of that line from that Ash b-side, "for the critics who failed as musicians...".
He's such a hanger-on.
Totally disagree.

John Robb hasn't failed as a musician, it isn't all about being top of the charts and selling millions of records etc
If that was the case then 99.99% of musicians would be called as failures.
Freedom, there ain't no f**king freedom!!!!