In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens

Post by Alias »

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens

Post by unbroken69 »

Never always agreed with his views, but it was always a pleasure to listen to or read his arguments. I recently finished his memoir Hitch 22 which was thoroughly enlightening. He was an inspiration and was always swimming against the tide, he dared to stand alone and was never afraid to stand up against pre determined leftist views. A man equally viewed with scepticism from the left and the right, simply because he never let his leftist principles determine any individual issue.

I don´t think he would appreciate an RIP, in fact he would positively despise such a sentiment. So I would rather say, farewell to the greatest polemicist of the modern era.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Hell's Angel, worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

unbroken69 wrote:Never always agreed with his views, but it was always a pleasure to listen to or read his arguments. I recently finished his memoir Hitch 22 which was thoroughly enlightening. He was an inspiration and was always swimming against the tide, he dared to stand alone and was never afraid to stand up against pre determined leftist views. A man equally viewed with scepticism from the left and the right, simply because he never let his leftist principles determine any individual issue.

I don´t think he would appreciate an RIP, in fact he would positively despise such a sentiment. So I would rather say, farewell to the greatest polemicist of the modern era.

so where do you stand? :?:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

@Apollo79. My point about Hitchens is that as his waist got bigger he didn´t journey from the left to the right as many say he did. He argued polemically if there was something he thought was wrong. His support for the Iraq war was from the point of view that anything which rids the world of Saddam Hussein has to be right. Of course for holding such a view he came in for criticism from the Guardianistas and other psudeo liberals for what they considered was his support for American imperialism.

He was equally as scathing of Israel´s actions in Palestine as he was about Islamic theocracies in the middle east, when the left in the west tended to take more of a simplistic taking sides approach. Of course the underlying rationale in Hitchens polemic was that anything which uses religious dogma to further political aims and control the state was irrefutably wrong. He didn´t however see the problem for his support for the Iraq war and the fact that both Blair and Bush cliamed that God had guided them to invade Iraq.

Where do I stand? I tend to be cynical of anything I am fed by the media. I will question everything including my own leftist leanings. I do however think we kid ourselves that we are a secular society when in the 21st century we watch our former PM Mr. Blair state on live TV that he talks to God.
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

Alias wrote:Hell's Angel, worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60
Cheers Alias, very interesting.
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

The portrait of Mother Teresa was indeed very enlightening. He was aslo an opponent of Henry Kissenger, who like Mother Teresa was also laughingly awarded the Nobel peace prize.

Here´s a link to a documentary based on his book "The Trials Of Henry Kissenger".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5tFtAtwqBI

Enjoy.
Retrocanary
Down In The Sewer

Post by Retrocanary »

Was listening to the always brilliant Danny Baker show on BBC London on Friday, and during the news the beeb decided to use a clip from Tariq Ali who was saying that he thought the real Christopher Hitchens died a decade ago, and that since then we've seen a new Christopher Hitchens that wasn't as brilliant as the old.

Danny (who himself just got the all clear from a tough battle with cancer) went on to say how bad taste it was for that clip to be used and then something like: "I hope when Tariq Ali passes they have me on there...oh yes Tariq Ali he showed some real potential in his early years, and had a fantastic ability to write eloquently, but he became a terrible bore, waiting to dance on someone's grave."

I myself have really admired Hitchens in the brief time since I've discovered the man's work. Haven't read much of his stuff, but I am looking forward to getting around to it.
PaulD
Rats Rally

Post by PaulD »

yes he was a great polemicist
unfashionable as it is whilst I disagree with most of what his brother Peter says he also wrotes well
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I wasn’t really aware of the man until I started watching him on youtube a few years ago. Been watching him again over the last year and are seriously enjoying the ‘Hitchslaps’ compilations, his debating skills were second to none and his comedy skills were certainly impressive too.

It sure would have been interesting to hear his thoughts on todays crazy fucked up world.
Would he be cancelled? I think many would have tried but he would have destroyed them all.
jcinblack
Rats Rally

Post by jcinblack »

Great revisit.
What a legend this man was. He, like Stephen fry, are the kind of people that you listen to and speak like you wish you could.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

jcinblack wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 18:55 Great revisit.
What a legend this man was. He, like Stephen fry, are the kind of people that you listen to and speak like you wish you could.
Indeed and that debate with Stephen Fry & Christopher Hitchens vs Archbishop John Onaiyekan & Ann Widdecombe over the motion "The Catholic Church is a Force for Good in the World" is a classic. Always worth a revisit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRcYaAYW ... hlbiBmcnkg