Bucked up

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Bucked up

Post by zontar »

An interview with REM guitarist Peter Buck in the current issue of US mag GOLDMINE contains a passage that struck me like a sternum-thumping JJ bassrun:

"The big 'Road to Damascus' for me was the whole punk rock thing...from Patti Smith through '82, there was just incredible stuff going on. There was always new things everyday. It's the only time I played only current records. I wouldn't even consider playing a record that was two years old. It was cool living right in the present. Every day, the Clash or some punk band from Ohio would put out a record, and it was just a constant discovery."

"It was probably the last era in rock that was looking forward. Everything now - no one's really going forward anywhere. It seems like everyone's just recycling things. Which is OK, but it was a totally exciting time time to be 17 or 18."

I suspect the cybershpere is @ least partially culpable. Why create anything new when you can sample this, reference that, and and assume the appropriate attiude? Buck, however, remains hopeful:

"At my age, you don't really expect something to change your life, but you want it to. Honestly, I haven't seen anything that's going to change my life recently, but you keep hoping. You want to see cool new bands and you want good things. I still see a lot of shows, 'cause you never know."

I regret being unable to share such enthusiasm.