Rats Rally

Re: Universities

Post by AndyMatthews »

The Army. Whereverer the Army goes the Pong goes :shock:
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

Aha!!

So, is Pompey a good place to live - All my mates who lived or live that way are just outside? Looks okay to me. Well, that is getting on and off the St Malo or Santander ferries.
AndyMatthews
Rats Rally

Post by AndyMatthews »

Notabadbandatall wrote:Aha!!

So, is Pompey a good place to live - All my mates who lived or live that way are just outside? Looks okay to me. Well, that is getting on and off the St Malo or Santander ferries.
Pompey can be quite a violent city depending on which area you go to - Guildhall area is notable at night (unfortunately that's also where the student campus accommodation is). We pay London prices without the London wages and have a very "diverse" society. The University are very good to it's students by all accounts and provide well for them - Pompey isn't particularly student fiendly in my experience so the Uni tend to look after their own.

However, it's a city rich with history and most of the inhabitants are decent people. I live in Fratton, half a mile from the City Centre. I moved here from the Midlands in '92 and I love it down here - probably wouldn't move away now, but having painted the picture above I can't explain why!

Never met another Stranglers fan here though although I'm sure there must be another one somewhere!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Guildford is nice enough but I don't think enough stuff goes on there. I think the university is pretty good from what i've seen of it, and it's walking distance from the train station and the town centre. nightlife-wise there are a few clubs and a load of pubs, but a distinct lack of live music venues these days. The Guildford Civic still hasn't reopened and it's been closed since 2003. Some pubs will put bands on though, I've played the famous Star Inn a few times. If your daughter has a car or a bike there's some nice countryside to go and explore.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Looking forward to wandering around Cambridge when I'm down next month.
Got a couple of 1 hour walks around looked out.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

get her to go to the one nearest home, save ££££££££££ on travel expenses and ruining your Sundays when you have to go pick her up / drop her off!
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
Notabadbandatall

Eddy Burnel deux wrote:get her to go to the one nearest home, save ££££££££££ on travel expenses and ruining your Sundays when you have to go pick her up / drop her off!
Yeah I had thought of that - Pompey and Guildford are quite close, and Swansea can be got to via train from Southampton, so it is fairly easy. Actually Aston can be a 1 train Virgin X Country :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

But we had thought of that. She was thinking about Edinburgh to do German and Hotel Management. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Notabadbandatall

parasiteinblack wrote:Guildford is nice enough but I don't think enough stuff goes on there. I think the university is pretty good from what i've seen of it, and it's walking distance from the train station and the town centre. nightlife-wise there are a few clubs and a load of pubs, but a distinct lack of live music venues these days. The Guildford Civic still hasn't reopened and it's been closed since 2003. Some pubs will put bands on though, I've played the famous Star Inn a few times. If your daughter has a car or a bike there's some nice countryside to go and explore.
I think that would be good for her, as it's easy enough to get to London and see some gigs. Nightlife wise, she is a happy bunny about staying at home, or going bowling, sitting around with mates and not wild about drinking. She likes to taste her alcohol, and says that if she is going to spend £15 on a night out, she would rather remember it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

You lot are so easily lead at times :smt009
Notabadbandatall

So, what is life like in Brum, in general? Is it safe to be walking around at night for young women or would you not let your daughter do that?
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Notabadbandatall wrote:My daughter has decided upon 5 different Uni's for next year, so I am hoping that someone might have some tips on the areas she is thinking of.

Colchester
Aston (Birmingham)
Swansea
Guildford - No, that was not my idea :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Portsmouth

Ta Ta
They're all shitholes. Send her to Rotherham! - Friendly people, great pies and a uni at nearby Sheff! Also, being a musician, there's plenty of colliery bands she could join. Plus she might even meet the Chuckle Brothers! What more could a lady ask for!?
Sweat and shite and blood!
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

ThruBeingCool wrote:You lot are so easily lead at times :smt009
ravenlunatic wrote:
FORUMITE OF 2010: All those that keep reappearing under a thinly veiled non de plume, convinced that no one will notice. Keeps me endlessly amused
I rest my case sir. :smt009
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.