2010 World Cup Thread

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

2010 World Cup Thread

Post by mickinblack »

Well it only comes along every 4 years and is the biggest sporting event on the planet,
So im sure you wont mind a World cup thread.
Id like to kick it off by saying im up for all the home teams England, Scotland,Wales and the 2 teams from Ireland.
OOOOOOPPPPPPS
Silly me i forgot
the Taffs, the Jocks,And the paddies are not in South Africa thats a dam shame :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wont get to see the opening match today but be watch the french game later tonight.

Come on England...
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 2010 World Cup Thread

Post by The Nosferatu »

Was gonna make one but then kinda figured that the England one would do.

But,

are there any ABE's* on here ?

As there is a large scottish and some welsh contingent on here...

*Anyone but England.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

The Nosferatu wrote:Was gonna make one but then kinda figured that the England one would do.

But,

are there any ABE's* on here ?

As there is a large scottish and some welsh contingent on here...

*Anyone but England.
Never mind the ABE gang :lol:
Ive high hopes for England if all goes to plan we should have Germany in the Quater final gulp gulp.
Looking forward to watching Brazil, Spain and of course the heroes for the next few weeks England.
Should be A great cup. Just hope the top players all on form.
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

Don't think we can match em, theres loads more countries with a miles better fire power up front, and our defence isnt 100% with a strong question mark over our keepers too :o
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Lets have more David and less Calamity With James in the World cup.
I think we are under rateing our team and building up the others.
We qualified in style and did well in some games lucky in others and you need luck as well to win the world cup.
Everyone saying Our group easy the U.S.A are a bloody good team but carnt see a problem with getting to the knock out stage
Then anything can happen..
England have had such bad luck over the years its about time that changed and we had a bit of luck..And with that who knows what might happen.
But what ever happens lets enoy the next few weeks.
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

yeah been looking forward to this for yonks, but chopping and changing between world cup and wimbledon.
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

Only downside is Adrian Chiles, he can bring down even the most riotous party :| total twat.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Certainly not an ABE and in fact it´s refreshing to see some of the media playing down England´s chances for a change, even if burkes like Cameron and Toby Young (on last nights QT), do the opposite.

Have to go with the in-laws, so I´ll be rooting for Spain, but will take a special interest in all matches featuring gooners.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I'd liked to have seen Scotland at the world cup , even as an Englishman . I remember 1974 especially , as Leeds fan and Leeds Utd virtually WERE Scotland . They were the only unbeaten side in that competition , going out only on goal diff . I think Ally McLoud putthe pressure on them 4 years ;later in Argentina - saying they were going to win it - but that side had a fine midfield , since then its been gradually downhill I think .
Can't see England winning myself - quarters maybe - semi's if lucky , but I think realistically there are probably 6 better sides in it . That is with one of the best managers in world football too . Too much reliance on Rooney - other sides will have a fair few influential players , our only other one is Gerrard and he may not be 100% fit .
I'm hoping for a classic world cup - worst one overall I think that I have seen was 1990 , 1994 not great either . Still 74 and 78 have the best memories for me , maybe also 82 for some cracking goals .
All quiet ..........
beebop
Rats Rally

Post by beebop »

Although I was around (Just) Cannot remember 66 , have memories of 70 and the first record I bought (Back Home by the England Squad) Remember 74 and 78 happening but was not really interested 82 and 86 were good as I had discovered pubs in those days . 90 was my favourite as for every England match there was a house party except for the Egypt game where we were in a private club with a special half time show that involved 50 pence pieces . In 94 I became Irish 98 was ok , 2002 was at silly times and 2006 was spoilt by ladyboy ronaldo

Also think we will make the last 8 but thats about it
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

2 fucken World Cup Threads (so far)?

Fuck off! :evil:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Not a follower of the Scottish National Team, so don't have that great an interest in the WC.
Supported Trinidad & Tobago at the last WC, as the first player from Falkirk FC to take part in the finals was in their squad.
Tenuously linked to supporting Germany, Mrs TOTS was born there!

Whilst Engurland certainly have the talented players to get past the group, I think it's very dangerous to even start thinking about who they may or may not get in the Quarters, Semis or god forbid, the Final.

I just know that when it all goes pear shaped, the vitriol and venom that will be directed to the team/manager, from people who usually have Feck All to do with footy, will be absolutely staggering.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.