2010 World Cup Thread

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Never to look back
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: 2010 World Cup Thread

Post by Never to look back »

I take it back. Like an episode of Taggart.....Murder!!!
I had a black shirt, But I wasn't one
Aural Scripture
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Aural Scripture »

mickinblack wrote: Silly me - i forgot the Jocks are not in South Africa thats a dam shame :lol: :lol: :lol:
No chance of us going home disappointed then! :smile:
The Nosferatu wrote:The noise coming from the crowd was overshadowing the commentary and doing my head in, proper headache.
Know what you mean. That loud droning noise was unbearable - but that's Alan Hansen for you!

I don't mind England winning if I'm honest. Never been one of those supporters who pray England are knocked out just because our own nation were not good enough to qualify.

It's always difficult for European sides to win the World Cup when the competition is held on another continent, plus altitude could play a part for European based players who have endured a long hard season and might struggle with conditions over there.

Pace is certainly an advantage in the modern game which is why I'm surprised there is no place for Theo Walcott in the squad. Lennon is a speed merchant in his own right so possibly no room in the team for both players?

Up front, I think England have the players to hurt any team. How do you mark Peter Crouch? His height will provide plenty of knockdowns for in form Wayne Rooney.

Don't write of England's chances - and who knows, by lifting the trophy, the Rest of Britain might just get a break from the fast fading memories of 1966!
Aural Scripture
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Aural Scripture »

Jon the Impaler wrote:I'd liked to have seen Scotland at the world cup , even as an Englishman . I remember 1974 especially , as Leeds fan and Leeds Utd virtually WERE Scotland . They were the only unbeaten side in that competition , going out only on goal diff . I think Ally McLoud putthe pressure on them 4 years ;later in Argentina - saying they were going to win it - but that side had a fine midfield , since then its been gradually downhill
Poor Ally always shoulders the blame for the disastrous 78 campaign, but he was not alone in his expectations of achieving something on the World stage. This was arguably the first example of media hype whipping a nation into a frenzied state and the manager was obviously caught up in the euphoria. To my knowledge, he never said we could win the World cup. What he did suggest was that the team could return with a medal of some sort. He always dismissed claims that, having been asked what he'd do after the World Cup, he replied "retain it." It didn't help his cause that an official celebration was held at Hampden to wave the players goodbye as they headed for South America. 35,000 fans attended to hear pipe bands and singers - before the players boarded an open topped bus as it did a lap of the ground before heading for the airport. Ally is on record as saying he begged the SFA not to go ahead with the premature celebrations but his pleas fell on deaf ears.

His failure to utilise Derek Johnstone was probably his biggest mistake. Johnstone had scored forty goals for the season, including one apiece against N.Ireland and Wales in the home internationals shortly before the side flew out to Argentina. He never started a game despite being such a prolific goalscorer and definitely on form at the right time. Considering our only goal against Iran was an own goal, Johnstone could have made a difference.

Poor Ally will always be remembered as a villain and any story regarding the man always grows legs and becomes exaggerated. For example, following a heated press conference, Ally stepped outside and spotted a dog coming towards him. "That's my only friend in the World" he quipped - before the dog cocked a leg and pissed on him. Regardless of the fact the punchline was added, most Scots will never miss an opportunity to slate the man.

Maybe it's just as well we didn't qualify this year!
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

France were crap really, until the sending off, they had no bite. Should have taken advantage. Bit like England v Brazil a few years back with the exceedingly emotional Erikson.
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

ladpinblack wrote:
Rodney Blackstaff wrote:
50millionwatches wrote:
Think you might have to go to work though mate, seeing as you are going to be buying everyone a drink, should England win :smt006

Rodders
If you read his post carefully he is actually going to buy everyone a drink if we get into the last 8.
I'll correct you both, IF England make the Final. Ive already said they will get through the group stage.
Bloody Accrington Stanley could get through that group...
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

French was a load of rubbish i think they have had there day.
Great goal by South Africa and a good result for them.
Russ65
Rats Rally

Post by Russ65 »

Couldn't beleive Thierry Henry had the balls to claim for a penalty for handball last night after his escapade against the Irish in the qualifiers. :shock: The french deserve to go out after that and judging by their performance last night I can't see them hanging around for very long anyway.

Come on ENGLAND I predict 2-0 Lampard first goal.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Aural Scripture wrote: Poor Ally always shoulders the blame for the disastrous 78 campaign, but he was not alone in his expectations of achieving something on the World stage. This was arguably the first example of media hype whipping a nation into a frenzied state and the manager was obviously caught up in the euphoria. To my knowledge, he never said we could win the World cup. ....
There was some clips on the box the other day, including Ally saying they'd win it.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

The Nosferatu wrote:Don't think we can match em, theres loads more countries with a miles better fire power up front, and our defence isnt 100% with a strong question mark over our keepers too :o
I thought England had a chance too during their qualifying games but when I seen the strikers that they picked
and the heavy reliance on their midfield players I can't see anything positive.Rooney gets injured England are
fooked.As for the media...well all I can say is that in a united kingdom they don't do England any favours.I'm watching
the dog munchers against the Grecians and already they're queering why and how Greece won the 2004 European Championship.
That's a bit like asking how did England win the World Cup way back in 1966!Dodgy linesmen,poor refereeing and corruption?
Not nice is it? Anyway tonights the night,best of luck to England but I can't see them progressing beyond the 1/4 finals...if
they get that far.
In the screaming pages of today's UK popular press, it is all about England, England and if there is room to cram another little morsel or two in there, let's have some more England. :roll:
As for the winner......I'll go for....ARGENTINA..!! :P
Last edited by APOLLO79 on 12 Jun 2010, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

Korea are killing this.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
Never to look back
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Never to look back »

I had a wee nap watching this.
I had a black shirt, But I wasn't one
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

I'm at work, just been watching this.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.