Well atleast a guy in a Stranglers t-shirt made it onto the progam :twisted:

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: I'm In A Rock 'n' Roll Band

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Very disappointed in this series. Not because of lack of Stranglers. I just think it's a very lazy attempt at trying to decipher what makes a great rock'n'roll band.

Far too much bias on rock/metal and as much as I like the Spinal Tap film, it's a fucking film. Why are they interviewing these characters!

It's like they've interviewed about a dozen performers and just badly edited it over the series.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

APOLLO79 wrote:Just watched the latest episode of this programme.Shouldn't be surprised really but no mention of
any of the band throughout the series.Took a quick peek at the website for tonights vote(best bassist)
and JJ's not on the list.Fuckin jokers!They're taking the piss putting Alex James of Blurt in the top ten
compiled by 'experts'..

....ps:They did play No More Heroes :shock:
BBC clearly don't hold any grudges against our band do they?
BBC = Bonkers Bastards and Cretins. And that is me being VERY polite.

Fair do's with the bassist, they've got Hooky on. That's Peter Hook who cites JJB as a great bassist by the way. Jet's omission in Drummers was predictable but still, it's pissed me off, similar in a way to how 'experts' slag Ringo Starr off. WTF did he ever do wrong on drums for the Beatles, what 'mistakes' or inept drumming examples are there from him on record? With Jet, because he's so good and so right for The Stranglers, and he doesn't come out with 10 minute drum solos, he is easily overlooked - EVEN IF HE IS POSSIBLY ON MORE GREAT RECORDS THAN ANY OTHER CURRENT DRUMMER. Jet is so good I think the 'experts' forget he's there.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Black Leather Jacket wrote:Very disappointed in this series. Not because of lack of Stranglers. I just think it's a very lazy attempt at trying to decipher what makes a great rock'n'roll band.

Far too much bias on rock/metal and as much as I like the Spinal Tap film, it's a fucking film. Why are they interviewing these characters!

It's like they've interviewed about a dozen performers and just badly edited it over the series.
Yes, and add VIC REEVES and Al Murray to that (tho Al does play drums apparently). Oh, Ade Edmondson too. And just about every DJ in existence too :lol:

Been some good interviews though, but just not enough of them. 'Lazy' is a great description of the show BLJ.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Samarkand
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Samarkand »

Paul Simonon in the Top Ten - what a joke. Didn't even play on most of Sandinista (The Blockheads' Norman Watt-Roy did the sessions)
Samarkand
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Samarkand wrote:Paul Simonon in the Top Ten - what a joke. Didn't even play on most of Sandinista (The Blockheads' Norman Watt-Roy did the sessions)
If he didn't play on Sandanista , then thats probably to his credit :grin: . Awful album IMO . Don't really see Simonon as a competent bass player or particularly charismatic either - bloody hell , they look for bass players who are different , not in the background - then I think WE know where they should have looked , don't we ?
Don't really know that much about Hook other than the fact he was in Joy Division/ New Order - didn't pay a lot of attention to either at the time in the 80's.
Agree though - Simonon - joke . Don't think even Sid Vicious had the notes painted on his bass for him , then weren't there rumours someone else was playing the actual sound from back stage while he mimed ?
At least No More Heroes got an airing last night .
All quiet ..........
Aural Scripture
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Aural Scripture »

I've seen a couple of programmes in the series, but not all. No doubt many expected names will have been overlooked as seems to be the case judging by comments on this thread.

Always thought Cozy Powell was a decent drummer and Cliff Burton was excellent on the bass - but I can't recall a mention for either. Seemed that the series was more concerned with the histrionics of performers rather than the actual playing side.

Like Bobinblack, I thought comments regarding Ringo were way over the top. The trouble with this series of programmes is that many of the contributors who are from other fields outwith music, feel the need to appear humorous because they lack a musical background. Feeble attempts at wit are fine when the topic is 100 top comedy sketches on Channel 4 - but not when debating musicianship.

If Dave's keyboard prowess was omitted just because he didn't catch the eye by revolving in the air while performing a number - then that's fine by me. Suppose it wouldn't have been possible anyway - not enough revolutions per minute to keep up with the maestro's finger technique!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Thanks for saving me the time skimming through these. I've been recording them in case there's a mention anywhere.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Bez?????????????? :shock: :shock:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

I like the Sandanista comments, punk goes 'prog rock' for the sake of it. Shocking album, London Calling seven sides too far!
euromanc-ometh
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I reckon Sandanista is there best album - Sure it should've been 2 sides but it has some real gems on there.

Jim

gjinblack wrote:I like the Sandanista comments, punk goes 'prog rock' for the sake of it. Shocking album, London Calling seven sides too far!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"