Agreed.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Pam
Rats Rally

Re: I'm In A Rock 'n' Roll Band

Post by Pam »

Bobinblack wrote:
Yes, and add VIC REEVES and Al Murray to that (tho Al does play drums apparently). Oh, Ade Edmondson too. And just about every DJ in existence too :lol:

Been some good interviews though, but just not enough of them. 'Lazy' is a great description of the show BLJ.
Missed seeing Al Murray on this but there is a vague Stranglers connection in that when Baz and JJ played a charity gig a couple of years ago he joined them to play drums on SLG and GB ( with Jim Tavare on double bass).
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Mmnn, it started out by being quite entertaining, (and in comparison with somebody cooking something or some mentally unstable people trying to convince us that they have talent for anything other than self delusion, it was) but on reflection the whole thing was disapointing.

Why all these type of things have to have "celebrities", most of whom wouldn't know shit from toothpaste, popping up and reflecting on events that happened before they were born is a mystery to me.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

Two of the best drummers I've seen weren't even quoted, Pete De Freitas (Bunnymen) & Martin Gilks (Wonder Stuff).

Both killed in bike accidents incedentally.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Whoever produces it is obviously a big fucking fan of Joy Division and New Order - quite where their place in the grand significance of rock 'n' roll is though remains a mystery when some giants of the game appear to have been largely ignored . Wanking BBC. :roll:
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Aural Scripture
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Aural Scripture »

The winners have been announced for anyone who missed the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/rocknrollband/
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

You always end up with lowest common denominator on these type of programs.

It's X Factor in disguise really.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Black Leather Jacket wrote:You always end up with lowest common denominator on these type of programs.

I was quite happy with the outcome...well except for Mr.Mercury....
and at least Flea won best bassist.Ok maybe Moon for drums but at least they got the
guitarist right. :smile:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

APOLLO79 wrote:
Black Leather Jacket wrote:You always end up with lowest common denominator on these type of programs.

I was quite happy with the outcome...well except for Mr.Mercury....
and at least Flea won best bassist.Ok maybe Moon for drums but at least they got the
guitarist right. :smile:
Seconded.

Although I thought it was quite a convincing argument against Keith Moon. As for Dead Fred - groan :cry:
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I didn't give a damn about who won the Vote For Your Favourite (Providing The Name is on OUR List) Musician thingy, I watched the whole series and thought that 'finale' on Saturday was excruciating and embarrassing shite :lol:

I didn't though mind some of the guests - comedians aside FFS - the dj's were overall not that painful to watch or listen to and, in fairness to them, they spoke mainly considered sense and not the usual drivel you'd expect from Radio 1 djs.

And i was actually impressed with Stewart Copeland - it took a Yank to say more sense than the rest of them, the shame of it! - and he even defended Sting and praised him as the best best bass player going. Now i disagree with that (I don't mind the Police though, I might be one of the few here :P ) but I thought his praise of Sting, esp when their egos have regualrly clashed it seems, was really good to hear.

But who gives a fuck anyway, the Beeb should be ashamed of theirselves, the overall concept has been a weakly delivered one and it has shown their ignorance in matters which they should be THE authority. At least when Channel 4 did their Top Tens or even Top Hundred programmes, they gave a fair 'crack of the whip' to any act who had succeeded in whatever genre, whereas the BBC here made so many oversights it actually felt quite insulting. I honestly wonder if the producers decided to omit certain musicians just out of spite. If they did it is a disgrace, they should remember that the BBC is OUR station after all. Maybe I'm overdoing this rant but I don't care, music is the pulse of a lot of people and for them to make a programme/series like that is near bleedin offensive in my eyes.

Ranting on Together :D
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.