The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Post Reply
User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3473
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Bobinblack » 02 Jun 2013, 09:23

And I won't fecking watch it if Walliams gets the role :lol:
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

User avatar
parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2954
Joined: 26 Nov 2003, 11:57
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by parasiteinblack » 02 Jun 2013, 12:25

Oh no! Smith is easily my favourite of the three modern doctors, really sad to see him go. I hope they pick some unknown person as the names bandied around aren't that promising. Saying that I wouldn't mind either Paterson Joseph or Bob Mortimer (would be a laugh and he was good in Randall and Hopkirk).
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 02 Jun 2013, 13:03

Statistically David Tennant always got an average 8 million viewers Smith gets an average 6 million, and I can only go by what I hear friends and family say, and generally speaking they don't like Matt Smith so have stopped watching. I have grown to like him a bit more, but I don't rate him as highly as Tennant, maybe edging about the same as Ecclestone, each to his own eh. I accept what you say about the i-player viewing figures, Doctor Who is consistently the most watched programme, I also acknowledge Matt Smith's Doctor has opened the franchise up even more in the foreign market.

I am still watching Inferno so I'll have to see about Terror of The Autons, I am hoping to be getting my hands on something rather special from classic Doctor Who imminently, it's a possibility and will do so at some point for sure. For what it's worth, a great story from a great season, I quite liked the way the Master featured in every story when he was introduced in the 1971 season 8 of Doctor Who
unbroken69 wrote:There is an 8th series commissioned which is due to air in autumn 2014 so I suspect the process of casting the next Dcotor has already commenced.

The ratings have not gone down, viewing habits have merely changed and Dcotor Who is still one of the most popular programmes when it's aired in its time slot. It's also the highest watched programme on i player. Series 6 was the most downloaded TV programme on US i tunes as well. which is a rather remarkable feat.

Will post my feelings on Inferno soon, if you can have a watch of Terror of the Autons and we'll discuss that one next.

In the meantime I'll throw a few names out there for the next Doctor.

Andrew Scott
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Ben Wishaw
Damian Lewis
Jason Isaccs
Mark Gatiss
Reece Shearsmith
Michael Smiley

Hopefully not as currently being mooted

David Walliams
Rupert Grint
Daniel Radcliffe
Matthew McFadyen



Jake wrote:I HATED Matt Smith for the first two seasons, he really grated me and now he has grown on me, but I am not sorry to see him go personally and I hope they get a Doctor who's in his late 30's upwards, young guy doesn't work for me sorry. I hope there actually will be another Doctor cast, and that this isn't the end of the show or a period of hiatus or anything. I note that the ratings have gone down quite a lot during Matt Smith's tenure as the Doctor. A lot of non Doctor Who fans started getting into the show during Ecclestone and Tennant and drifted off during the Matt Smith years, so I hope whoever they get is good!

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 02 Jun 2013, 13:07

Rockula wrote:Doctor Who plot generator...

http://toys.usvsth3m.com/drwho/#
Yeah and no. I would say Doctor Who toys are not that popular amongst most children, and I've seen them gradually disappearing from the supermarkets, Argos and so on, they just don't sell that well. I don't think those ride in a Dalek things really caught on, and now they can't give em away. Also I would say adults are more likely to be Doctor Who collectors than children. I think it's always gonna be a minority interest where the very young are concerned, and boy did I take some shit for being a Doctor Who as well as a stranglers fan back in my school days

User avatar
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1452
Joined: 23 Mar 2008, 00:12
Location: Spain

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by unbroken69 » 03 Jun 2013, 01:27

You refer to the way overnight viewing averages are worked which usually show Doctor Who at about 4.5 million - 5.5 million. These figures are from a carefully selected sample of households provided with electronic devices which monitor which channel they are watching. Each member of the household presses a button to indicate when they are actually in front of the box. The Broadcaster's Audience Research Board collates this data, weighs it for socio-demographic reasons and publishes it overnight to all broadcasters and advertisers. BARB are primarily there for commercial TV to collate figures for potential advertisers, so the 3,500 they survey stipulate they watch a higher percentage of commercial television.

The actual viewing figures are worked out on a wider survey by BARB and are published a week later. Dr. Who for the recent series finale had 7.45 million viewers, this figure does not include the 1.5 million hits it recieved on BBC i player. Only an episode of Eastenders and the Eurovision Song Contest were watched more that week on the BBC. The programme is constantly the 10th most watched programme of the week on all channels, which what it was under the Ecclestone and Tennant eras. While the average viewing figure of those watching it live as it airs has gone down slightly, once the i player figures are taken into considersation it would suggest that as many new viewers come to the programme as viewers it loses. Viewer habits are constantly changing as is the number of channels available both through your TV set and online on a computer or mobile device. It's in fact a marvel that Doctor Who is one of the most watched programmes as it airs and one of the most viewed online and as a download, it's sales of DVD and Blu Ray are also rising according to the BBC.

Quite often the tabloids publish the overnight viewing figures from BARB and try to get a story about lost viewers which just doesn't add up. Of course our media is dominated by cunts who'll use anything to bash the BBC with at the minute.

One thing I would say though is that the programme needs its young audience, if it didn't continually attract new generations it wouldn't last. One of the reasons it was taken off air at the end of the 80's was it was only really die-hards who grew up with the show that were watching. In global terms the programme has become a phenomenon since the re-boot and currently has an estimated world wide audience of 77 million, many of whom have only been recently exposed to the show. I apprceciate that Steven Moffat is aware of the need for the young audience but someone should tell him that kids don't neccessarily like love saves the day, schmaltzy storylines either, like those he often writes or commisions others to script. Once in a while Moffat but not all the bleeding time.


Jake wrote:Statistically David Tennant always got an average 8 million viewers Smith gets an average 6 million, and I can only go by what I hear friends and family say, and generally speaking they don't like Matt Smith so have stopped watching. I have grown to like him a bit more, but I don't rate him as highly as Tennant, maybe edging about the same as Ecclestone, each to his own eh. I accept what you say about the i-player viewing figures, Doctor Who is consistently the most watched programme, I also acknowledge Matt Smith's Doctor has opened the franchise up even more in the foreign market.

I am still watching Inferno so I'll have to see about Terror of The Autons, I am hoping to be getting my hands on something rather special from classic Doctor Who imminently, it's a possibility and will do so at some point for sure. For what it's worth, a great story from a great season, I quite liked the way the Master featured in every story when he was introduced in the 1971 season 8 of Doctor Who




Jake wrote:I HATED Matt Smith for the first two seasons, he really grated me and now he has grown on me, but I am not sorry to see him go personally and I hope they get a Doctor who's in his late 30's upwards, young guy doesn't work for me sorry. I hope there actually will be another Doctor cast, and that this isn't the end of the show or a period of hiatus or anything. I note that the ratings have gone down quite a lot during Matt Smith's tenure as the Doctor. A lot of non Doctor Who fans started getting into the show during Ecclestone and Tennant and drifted off during the Matt Smith years, so I hope whoever they get is good!
[/quote]
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 03 Jun 2013, 12:46

I wasn't referring to over night figures Unbroken 69. I am prepared to admit I may have my facts slightly wrong

a quick comparison between series 3, David Tennant and Matt Smith suggests roughly equal viewing figures, with Tennant having a slight edge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_3%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_7%29


Anyway, moving on....

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2407
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jon the Impaler » 10 Jun 2013, 14:16

He's gone for a complete change of career - signed for Leeds Utd today .
All quiet ..........

User avatar
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2365
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:31
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Rockula » 10 Jun 2013, 16:51

Doctor Who? All bets are off as reports claim Skyfall actor Rory Kinnear had been offered the role.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 51355.html
ManInBrown

User avatar
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2524
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 15:50
Location: Ireland Dublin
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by mickinblack » 10 Jun 2013, 18:13

I wasnt a Matt Smith fan at all.
But i dont think people watch Dr who for who is playing him.
Its more the Dr who story that keeps people interested.
Dr who has been going a long time many good Drs and a few bad Drs and some who should of been a Dr longer.
Only watched 1 episode of this Series but have it recorded, so i watch them at some point.

User avatar
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2365
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:31
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Rockula » 19 Jun 2013, 21:13

If Doctor Who was Nice 'n' Sleazy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkVj8E37xM
ManInBrown

User avatar
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2365
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:31
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Rockula » 05 Aug 2013, 13:49

I really, really wish that this is what the new series is going to be like. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc
ManInBrown

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1518
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 09:43
Location: In the Valley of the Dolls

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Hammersmith1982 » 05 Aug 2013, 15:18

Rockula wrote:I really, really wish that this is what the new series is going to be like. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The daleks would be shitting themselves :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply