Rage Against The “X-Factor”

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Rage Against The “X-Factor”

Post by unbroken69 »

The thing is steam there will be a couple of hundred facebook groups all trying to obtain the same thing with other songs. Last year the plan came close when fans of the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah bought and downloaded it and tried to knock the Cowell stooges version from the No.1 spot. It was also suggested that the cunt Cowell put dummy protest groups on social networking sites placing download links to Buckley´s version which weren´t chart acredited. Wot a cunt.

People like Cowell epitomise what´s wrong with the recording industry. He is on record as being against file sharing and supporting the need for copyright control. He obviously has no regard for intellectual property though as he bought the publishers who owned the rights to Hallelujah prior to his X Factor protege destroying it. The artist who composed the song, Leonard Cohen, of course received fuck all from the sales and somewhat ironically the royalties from the Jeff Buckley version also went to the cunt Cowell.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

:shock: Is this true?? The bastard! Unfuckinbelievable. . Never liked the cunt but this just . . Anyone for setting up a fund for taking a contract out on this arse? :smt013 :smt005
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

unbroken69 wrote:People like Cowell epitomise what´s wrong with the recording industry. He is on record as being against file sharing and supporting the need for copyright control. He obviously has no regard for intellectual property though as he bought the publishers who owned the rights to Hallelujah prior to his X Factor protege destroying it. The artist who composed the song, Leonard Cohen, of course received fuck all from the sales and somewhat ironically the royalties from the Jeff Buckley version also went to the cunt Cowell.
Sorry Unbroken, but that's cobblers. That was a Daily Mail "news" story which nobody else reported on as it was untrue. There is no way on earth that Cohen would sell his rights to any of his songs. I know this from expreience as a couple of mates who are in a band wanted to record a Welsh version of Halleluiah and the only way they could do this was to get Cohen's personal permission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7715493.stm

Syco (ie Cowell) control the master rights to the X-Factor recording.
Sony (via Columbia) (not Cowell) control the master rights to Leonard Cohen's and Jeff Buckley's recordings.
Sony ATV Music Canada (not Cowell) control the publishing rights to the song, and they will account on all versions to Cohen as the writer.

When publishing rights are sold the writers continue to be accounted to as before.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

:smile: still. . Lets shoot him anyway :smt005
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

No, shooting's too good for the cunt. He should be boiled alive in his own urine....

....and while we're at it stick that other little cunt Louis Walsh in the pot as well. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

:smile: Great idea. Better still lets make him drink SUBO'S pish then boil the fooker. Feed his inards and testies to Louis and string him up while we're at it! :smt005
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

:( of that,no one can deny. . . But we can still indulge in some fantasy torture :twisted:
steam_rigs
SHAKESPEARO

Post by steam_rigs »

nice one !

so we're all agreed , we're gonna kill the bastard !!
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Old Angus, perhaps before you accuse people of talking cobblers you should really know what you are talking about.

The Welsh language version had it sold anything would not make Cohen much money. An artist in this case Cohen must be consulted if a piece of his work is altered by another artist. Interpreting a song in another language is covered by this. One would need Leonard's permission if the lyrics are changed, re-written, or new stanzas added. This is nothing more than artistic courtesy.

The actual copyright concerning Hallelujah is a bit complicated, mainly because there is something like 80 verses to the song. Cowell´s company acquired the publishing rights to "a version" of the song and will profit from any further versions of that version. He acquired it prior to the X Factor and it has been widely reported he profited from the X Factor version of it. Add to this the fact that unknowing to himself Cohens manger had sold off the publishing rights to all his songs and pocketed the proceeds herself.

Sony do indeed own the versions sang by Cohen and Buckley (Cowell didn´t profit from these), but not the one sang by John Cale as they where other verses given to him by Cohen. They apparently given Coehn´s situation concerning the "theft" by his ex manager are now sharing some of the royalties from the song but not retrospectively. Sony recently shared the pretigious song of the year award with Cohen as awarded by Musicnotes Inc. Rather ironic they gave song of 2008 to a song first recorded in 1984.

It is a bit of a shame that Leoanrd Cohen doesn´t own his own songs, and after being ripped off by his manger now finds himself having at the age of 75 to do a 2 year world tour to make some money. The whole debacle of Hallelujah should add to the debate on "intellectual copyright property" and why copyright is locked away in order for a few cunts to get rich while the artist isn´t even compensated.

So just to re-iterate Cohen made nothing from the X Factor and Cowell as owner of the version made millions. He is a cunt, perhaps he and Cohens ex manger know each other.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

:twisted: so that's settled a painful slow torturous death it is then. I think we should start with a hot knitting needle right up the japs eye. . :twisted: :idea:
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

unbroken69 wrote:Old Angus, perhaps before you accuse people of talking cobblers you should really know what you are talking about.

The Welsh language version had it sold anything would not make Cohen much money. An artist in this case Cohen must be consulted if a piece of his work is altered by another artist. Interpreting a song in another language is covered by this. One would need Leonard's permission if the lyrics are changed, re-written, or new stanzas added. This is nothing more than artistic courtesy.

The actual copyright concerning Hallelujah is a bit complicated, mainly because there is something like 80 verses to the song. Cowell´s company acquired the publishing rights to "a version" of the song and will profit from any further versions of that version. He acquired it prior to the X Factor and it has been widely reported he profited from the X Factor version of it. Add to this the fact that unknowing to himself Cohens manger had sold off the publishing rights to all his songs and pocketed the proceeds herself.

Sony do indeed own the versions sang by Cohen and Buckley (Cowell didn´t profit from these), but not the one sang by John Cale as they where other verses given to him by Cohen. They apparently given Coehn´s situation concerning the "theft" by his ex manager are now sharing some of the royalties from the song but not retrospectively. Sony recently shared the pretigious song of the year award with Cohen as awarded by Musicnotes Inc. Rather ironic they gave song of 2008 to a song first recorded in 1984.

It is a bit of a shame that Leoanrd Cohen doesn´t own his own songs, and after being ripped off by his manger now finds himself having at the age of 75 to do a 2 year world tour to make some money. The whole debacle of Hallelujah should add to the debate on "intellectual copyright property" and why copyright is locked away in order for a few cunts to get rich while the artist isn´t even compensated.

So just to re-iterate Cohen made nothing from the X Factor and Cowell as owner of the version made millions. He is a cunt, perhaps he and Cohens ex manger know each other.

Nice post on the sad state of Uncle Len's finances..

Reminded me of the line in The Thick Of It the other week, "I've got a to-do list longer
than a fucken Leonard Cohen lyric!" :lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'