Footie Banter - Was he / Is he good enough?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Footie Banter - Was he / Is he good enough?

Post by Manc In Black »

I think the first £1 million pound player, Trevor Francis was class, despite being a Forest player yet in this day & age he would despite that go for £30m, unlike Ronnie. Worthington - not sure how he'd cut it today. Shearer was good but not good enough to be a Red - if he was real class he'd never have turned Alex down, not once but twice. Norman Hunter wouldn't make it in today's game. Andy Gray (Come on Villa) , he of Sky fame would not only cut it today, but would be at the cutting edge. He of the blue noses, Colin Bell could actually play. West End Rent boys had Peter Osgood, but what a donkey. And there was that Tony Currie of the Blades who was sublime with his skill. Dalgish could do thing or two

but if you want to talk about Class of today then there is one person who is going to win the World Cup for England...
and thats MICHAEL OWEN
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
villainblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Footie Banter - Was he / Is he good enough?

Post by villainblack »

Manc In Black wrote:I think the first £1 million pound player, Trevor Francis was class, despite being a Forest player yet in this day & age he would despite that go for £30m, unlike Ronnie. Worthington - not sure how he'd cut it today. Shearer was good but not good enough to be a Red - if he was real class he'd never have turned Alex down, not once but twice. Norman Hunter wouldn't make it in today's game. Andy Gray (Come on Villa) , he of Sky fame would not only cut it today, but would be at the cutting edge. He of the blue noses, Colin Bell could actually play. West End Rent boys had Peter Osgood, but what a donkey. And there was that Tony Currie of the Blades who was sublime with his skill. Dalgish could do thing or two

but if you want to talk about Class of today then there is one person who is going to win the World Cup for England...
and thats MICHAEL OWEN

You are right about Andy Gray pure class, remember seeing him tear apart Liverpool in 1977 at Villa Park, we were 5-1 up at half time, that Liverpool team went on to win the European cup that year, when it was a propper Champions cup, not the money grabbing venture it is now.

Re Owen, on his day he is class, but I am afraid he cant play two consecutive games with out getting injured, the mind is willing, but he has worn out the body, to many games, to young, and to many games playing with pain killers. He would be to much of a liabillity if we take him, plus Cappello likes multi talented players who can be flexible, Owen is a one trick pony.
Please allow me to re-arrange your face sometimes
I'd really like to get to know you better
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

villainblack wrote:
Manc In Black wrote:I think the first £1 million pound player, Trevor Francis was class, despite being a Forest player yet in this day & age he would despite that go for £30m, unlike Ronnie. Worthington - not sure how he'd cut it today. Shearer was good but not good enough to be a Red - if he was real class he'd never have turned Alex down, not once but twice. Norman Hunter wouldn't make it in today's game. Andy Gray (Come on Villa) , he of Sky fame would not only cut it today, but would be at the cutting edge. He of the blue noses, Colin Bell could actually play. West End Rent boys had Peter Osgood, but what a donkey. And there was that Tony Currie of the Blades who was sublime with his skill. Dalgish could do thing or two

and thats MICHAEL OWEN

You are right about Andy Gray pure class, remember seeing him tear apart Liverpool in 1977 at Villa Park, we were 5-1 up at half time, that Liverpool team went on to win the European cup that year, when it was a propper Champions cup, not the money grabbing venture it is now.

Re Owen, on his day he is class, but I am afraid he cant play two consecutive games with out getting injured, the mind is willing, but he has worn out the body, to many games, to young, and to many games playing with pain killers. He would be to much of a liabillity if we take him, plus Cappello likes multi talented players who can be flexible, Owen is a one trick pony.

Iremember that match i was 8 and was at it with my dad bloody great game when football was football and anyone could win the leauge,how footnball as changed dont ever see ipswich or forest ever changeling the top teams ever again..
I wonder what Peter Withe goal in the 1982 european cup final would be worth today..
I watched that game again only 2 years ago and how we Villa won that match is still behond me they was all over us carl heinz ruminger was the german to watch lol,great debut from spinlk the gods was on our side that day ..A day i never for get.
villainblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by villainblack »

Iremember that match i was 8 and was at it with my dad bloody great game when football was football and anyone could win the leauge,how footnball as changed dont ever see ipswich or forest ever changeling the top teams ever again..
I wonder what Peter Withe goal in the 1982 european cup final would be worth today..
I watched that game again only 2 years ago and how we Villa won that match is still behond me they was all over us carl heinz ruminger was the german to watch lol,great debut from spinlk the gods was on our side that day ..A day i never for get.[/quote]

I was 13 then, stood half way up k block of the holte, happy days, what a partner ship Gray, little and Deehan, I think they scored 50 plus goals between them that season.

The biggest shame was the first season of the Prem League when we finished 2nd, champions league had not started then, if it had the money boost would have taken villa to another level :!:
maybe we would be mentioned in the same breath of the Top 4, tho Deadly would probably banked have the money and never spent it :lol:
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

The glory days of the European Cup are sadly over and yes I remeber Villa winning that night........what ever happened to Spink?

As for Michael Owen, he is no longer a force to be reckoned with, his glory days are over.... too many days playing for the 'N' word and concentrating on his horses I think have put pay to his international carreer. He may bag the odd game for Sir Alex, but to me he is a spnt force!! :smile:

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

It takes one kick, one trick or not
on on on on
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

AVFC...1874....Gray called out and went to Wolves...cunt...still..one of the best,if not THE best footballin sides were the Villa.Was it Man city or Everton in the 77 League Cup 3-1could be wrong but when Gray left it was a dawn of a new era.....MORLEY,SHAW....and so it goes...just like The Famous Glasgow Celtic 8)
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Love Villa's ground where we put the Gooners out of the Cup in 99
What a year
on on on on
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

Manc In Black wrote:It takes one kick, one trick or not
True, but will the ref always play enough time to give him that one kick!! :grin:

NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

Manc In Black wrote:Love Villa's ground where we put the Gooners out of the Cup in 99
What a year
I agree with you there, in an era of new stadia Villa's ground does have that very different traditional look about it!

villainblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by villainblack »

NMH1965 wrote:
Manc In Black wrote:Love Villa's ground where we put the Gooners out of the Cup in 99
What a year
I agree with you there, in an era of new stadia Villa's ground does have that very different traditional look about it!

I have to agree get a tingle down the spine every time I walk towards the Holte, espesially now they have done the Holte Pub up on the corner, us season ticket holders have the use of it on match day :smile:

there are going to fill in the corners on the North Stand after next season, that should bring it back to 50k
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

But Trinity Rd is just like Everton,Wednesday and Rangers...listed buildings with the lattice front.The old Holte End was superb. The old shed on Whitton lane was cool too.
Halcyon days :wink:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'