Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Last book read

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

What your reading for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI

Well, looks like we got ourselves a reader.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Just finished Breakfast at Tiffany's A-gain.....so gold star for me!
la stranglerina
Down In The Sewer

Post by la stranglerina »

saminblack wrote:
I also (somewhat sadly) have the claim to fame that I read 11 books on my honeymoon - including a 700 page fictionalised biography of Herman Goerring! - while most people find other things to do on their honeymoon. :smt004 :smt004
Thank you so much for this. You took a big burden from my shoulders. I read only 8 at my honeymoon (including 4 parts of Harry Potter :lol: ) and I had really bad conscience about it...untill now :lol: :lol: :lol: But what else can you do in Malta :?:
PJayBe
Down In The Sewer

Post by PJayBe »

Just on Me Cheeta, the spoof autobiography of the ape from Tarzan. Very good, and very caustic about a lot of dead people who can't fight back!!!

Philip
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

currently reading The Gate by Francois Bizot, about his time as a captive of the khmer rouge

cassini
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Just finished Crowcons Portable Gas Detectors for Beginners.

What a hoot that was
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Tony Parsons - Starting Over

I really like Tony Parsons - and I always have done right back to his days as a superb music journalist in the punk days.

As such I have read all of his novels but sadly a number of them - including this one I'm afraid- just doesn't quite fully deliver the goods. It is still better than 90 per cent of the modern popular novels out there but I always think Mr Parsons is capable of something beyond even the (above) average.

This one, for instance, starts brilliantly. The opening two or three chapters are rivetting and as the characters unfold you are engaged, entertained and intrigued. It follows a 42-year-old father of two who is given a new life when he he has a heart transplant but bizarrely it is more 'new' than he expects as he seems to be inheriting some of the characteristics of his heart donor. All good so far.

But then it sort of loses its way a bit and we end up in all too familiar Parsons territory - where it occassionally gets just a bit too mushy and sentimental and our 'hero' realises that despite apparently wanting to be a different person with his new heart he still wants to be the same person of his 'old' heart - the good, family guy. Tony P is clearly desperate to show the world that men can be sensitive, loving and gentle as well as women but after several books saying the same thing I think women might now have got the message....

Despite that it is still well worth reading because some of the set pieces and characters are very memorable and, as stated, even average Parsons is better than most other modern novellists produce.

So a good book but I think Tony P is capable of great books. It gets four stars - but he is a five star writer and I think he needs another five star book soon.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship"

Having been on a project for the last 6 months that I can only descibe as "horrific" I thought I'd do a bit of swotting. Erm....I realise I'm probably on my own here.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Just finished HG Wells "A Modern Utopia" - a bit slow but some interesting ideas, nice to see something progressive from so long ago.
Also "Outbound Flight" by Timothy Zahn - It's a Star Wars book and was a bit of a dull one compared to his Heir to the Empire trilogy, but the fleshing out of the Thrawn character was very welcome and the ending was quite good too.

Currently reading "The Shape Of Things To Come" also by HG Wells, quite interesting so far but as it's from 1933 the prediction of future history without WWII does seem very odd. I've learnt some interesting things about the early 20th Century I never really knew before as well.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Ska'd For Life(A personal journey with The Specials) - Horace Painter.

Now reading Sid Vicious - No One Is Innocent - Alan Parker.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Still reading Truman Capote's " The Diamond Guitar" in between NVQ in Social Care ( why can't I take this seriously?).
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

My First Atlas :grin:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'