Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Last book read

Post by Bag Lady »

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Reading this confirmed to me that I’m not a complete psychopath; but I wouldn’t care if I was.
No one can win against kipple.
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Bag Lady wrote:The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Reading this confirmed to me that I’m not a complete psychopath; but I wouldn’t care if I was.
Only 90%???
Can I borrow it please? I may be off the scale... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Ravenette wrote:
Bag Lady wrote:The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Only 90%???
Can I borrow it please? I may be off the scale... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm far too competetive, I hate not scoring 100%, action will have to be taken. I will be the best, never mind who gets in my way.
BikerinBlack
Rats Rally

Post by BikerinBlack »

Seven Deadly Sins ,my pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh .
theraven1970
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by theraven1970 »

All Hell Let Loose - Max Hastings account of WW2 - good overview of the conflict.
Before that I was reading F Scott Fitzgerald collection on kindle, The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night both excellent, if a little bleak, especially the latter story.
Greetings, fellow Stranglers fans.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Where the Shadows Lie by Michael Ridpath

Iceland, sagas, Lord of the Rings and murder.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Finished the Morrissey  autobiography last night and have to say it was a brilliant read.

I always thought of him as great British eccentric admired only be we foible-understanding fellow Brits but it is revealing how, just like a prophet is never regarded in his home town, he seems to be far more appreciated abroad than he is at home. Like the best autobiographies you learn far more about the subject than just what he is famous for and the amazing description of his Manchester school life in the early 70s for instance looks like it could have been taken from a Dickens novel.

The Smiths/solo career stories are also great as is his bewildering array of encounters with the rich and powerful (The last of the famous international playboys?) most of which leave him cold and unimpressed. It's a great story full of insight, witty one-liners and the occasional barefaced bitching but above all it is a beautifully told tale and the man has a lyricism and charm in his writing he so often shows in his music. It meanders a bit (hey, I can talk as this post shows!!) but like everything he has ever done you can love it or hate it but you will have to grudgingly admit it is original.

A true British icon I think - and a top book to tell Santa about.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

An Artist of the Floating World – Kazuo Ishiguro.

Post war Japanese manners. Not up there with Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go, imho.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Eroticism by George Bataille.

Fascinating but not titillating. This book boils down to: once humans began organised work there was a need to limit “violence” so taboos grew up. But to validate taboos there must be transgression. One result was eroticism. So we can all have an organised society with jobs and a frisson around sex or we can all live off berries and fuck all we want…
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Bag Lady wrote:Eroticism by George Bataille.

Fascinating but not titillating. This book boils down to: once humans began organised work there was a need to limit “violence” so taboos grew up. But to validate taboos there must be transgression. One result was eroticism. So we can all have an organised society with jobs and a frisson around sex or we can all live off berries and fuck all we want…
Nice synopsis!... So it all went wrong when we stopped foraging....
Thank you very much
EiTC
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
Bag Lady wrote:Eroticism by George Bataille.

Nice synopsis!... So it all went wrong when we stopped foraging....
Personally I like blackberry picking in the countryside. Or even in the town if you can find a good spot.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Organise Yourself! By Ronni Eisenberg with Kate Kelly

Strictly speaking I didn’t actually read this book but I did browse it. About the third sentence I read (at least three quarters of the way into the book) sadly read “As a youngster, it never dawned on me that people could be disorganised.” It went on to extol the author’s lifelong wonderfulness at being organised. Bollocks to that, I thought, and left the library before they could catch up with me for the fines I owe for unreturned books that I can’t find…