Last book read

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Last book read

Post by Burn e 77 »

'Phanny Phartz' [Confessions of a vaginally flatulent Victorian Lady] by: Lady Windmore.
Quite challenging at first, BUT after repeated reading, becomes a breeze... full of gusts of descriptive dialogue about a Lady who barfed her way into a storm of controversy... A breath of fresh air... well worth perusal. :wink:
Burn e 77
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 27 Mar 2013, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
Something better change!
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

"Statecraft" by Margaret Thatcher.

I'll get my coat...
BrightRaven
SHAKESPEARO

Post by BrightRaven »

"How Music Works" by David Byrne.

Some autobiog stuff about his early years and how Talking Heads recorded their albums though rather bizarrely he says nothing about the break-up of the band.

Good review here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/se ... usic-works

"Byrne applies his piercing analysis to each successive format, from the wax cylinder to the shellac and vinyl disc, the cassette, the CD and today's MP3 (about which he is fairly scathing: certain music has a calming and therapeutic influence on psychotic patients when on vinyl but apparently has the reverse effect when played off a computer)."
Links to my book, blog, music, radio show etc...
http://www.wintonwebdesign.co.uk/
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Doesn't sound like there's any autobiog in there according to that reviewer:-

"One word of warning: those looking for personal insights into Talking Heads will be wasting their time. They lived in a flat with no shower, toilet or heating on the Lower East Side in the 70s, Burroughs and Ginsberg over the road, and "you could never tell whether a comatose body on the sidewalk was drunk, high or dead". And that's pretty much all you get. Every other time the band is mentioned it's about the practical application of Byrne's musical philosophy."

I should just buy this but I don't want to read a load of regurgitated stuff about the CD "noise wars" and such forth.

Jim

BrightRaven wrote:"How Music Works" by David Byrne.

Some autobiog stuff about his early years and how Talking Heads recorded their albums though rather bizarrely he says nothing about the break-up of the band.

Good review here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/se ... usic-works

"Byrne applies his piercing analysis to each successive format, from the wax cylinder to the shellac and vinyl disc, the cassette, the CD and today's MP3 (about which he is fairly scathing: certain music has a calming and therapeutic influence on psychotic patients when on vinyl but apparently has the reverse effect when played off a computer)."
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
BrightRaven
SHAKESPEARO

Post by BrightRaven »

theraven1979 wrote:Doesn't sound like there's any autobiog in there according to that reviewer:-

"One word of warning: those looking for personal insights into Talking Heads will be wasting their time. They lived in a flat with no shower, toilet or heating on the Lower East Side in the 70s, Burroughs and Ginsberg over the road, and "you could never tell whether a comatose body on the sidewalk was drunk, high or dead". And that's pretty much all you get. Every other time the band is mentioned it's about the practical application of Byrne's musical philosophy."

I should just buy this but I don't want to read a load of regurgitated stuff about the CD "noise wars" and such forth.
He covers a lot of ground in the book - it's not just about the technology involved. Some of it will admittedly be of more interest to those who are either musicians or have had some involvement with the music industry and he does get a bit bogged down with fairly long descriptions about the deals artists are offerd by record companies. But overall I'd recommend it.
Links to my book, blog, music, radio show etc...
http://www.wintonwebdesign.co.uk/
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Angels and Demons
Claireinblack
kent
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

Solar by ian mcewan
zingiber
SHAKESPEARO

Post by zingiber »

Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey - it's about death, grief, love and trying to make sense/order of chaos. I'd recommend his True History of the Kelly Gang too - written as Ned Kelly's autobiography, in his imagined voice, it's excellent.
No cheese, no gig.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

A Beginner's Guide to Acting English by Shappi Khorsandi

At last a celebrity with a life worth writing about.
No one can win against kipple.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Any good? I read his Hacienda which was very enjoyable.

Jim
Toiler On The Sea wrote:Image
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

theraven1979 wrote:Any good? I read his Hacienda which was very enjoyable.

Jim
If you've read anything else about the band then there's no great 'revelations' (they don't really like each other :smt005 etc...) as such, but always like reading about a band I would have loved to have seen. Still worth it.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.