Christmas

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Preacher man
Rats Rally

Christmas

Post by Preacher man »

What with Christmas and all that coming our way , I wondered what is the best recipe for perfect roast potatoes.

Do you par boil them or just get them in with the turkey for a few hours, someone once said goose fat is best.

I bet Jet likes a good roast potatoe, I would save Dave is more of a pie man.
staginblack
Down In The Sewer

Re: Christmas

Post by staginblack »

Parboil for about 10 minutes in salted water. Drain thoroughly then leave in the pan to ensure all the steam escapes.

Then the crucial bit.....put the lid back on the pan and rattle the spuds around to bash them up a bit.

Then get your oil or fat nice and hot. Goose fat is the best but olive oil works just as well. Tip them in and roast in the over at 220 degrees for about 40 minutes. The bashing in the pan means you get nice crispy edges.

Don't do what I did one year and spill the hot oil over your hand...it tends to melt the skin and don't half hurt!
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

staginblack wrote:Parboil for about 10 minutes in salted water. Drain thoroughly then leave in the pan to ensure all the steam escapes.

Then the crucial bit.....put the lid back on the pan and rattle the spuds around to bash them up a bit.

Not forgetting the sprinkle of sea salt (preferably) and ground black pepper just before addding to the hot oil.

Then get your oil or fat nice and hot. Goose fat is the best but olive oil works just as well. Tip them in and roast in the over at 220 degrees for about 40 minutes. The bashing in the pan means you get nice crispy edges.

Don't do what I did one year and spill the hot oil over your hand...it tends to melt the skin and don't half hurt!
Maybe I'll find love when there's nothing to do........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

And also don't forget the Turmeric if you're feeling that way inclined. Also, you can smear a bit of marmite on them (again if you're that way out)

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
froggy

Post by froggy »

WTF!!!!!!!????????? Bring on Delia why don't ya!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

If you like - bagsy I have first dibs though.

Jim
froggy wrote:WTF!!!!!!!????????? Bring on Delia why don't ya!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Deep fry until they just start to turn colour, sprinkle liberally (from a height) with sea salt ,black pepper and fresh thyme, then roast as normal.

You can do the same with your parsnips but drizzle a little honey over those before roasting.

I'm in a quandry about an alternative to pudding this year...
It was blackberry , apple & ginger crumble last year.
Plum tart is the favourite for this year at the moment.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Moved to "General Other Stuff"
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
Stu-Man
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Stu-Man »

My Aunt Bessie does a splendid roast potato, and she's started selling them in all good supermarkets!!!
ONE TO THE LEFT AND ONE TO THE RIGHT OF ME............