Life's not fair!

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Life's not fair!

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

Do we really stop and think what is around the corner in our lives??
Is it worth planning ahead for a future when that future is uncertain and unwritten??
Do we stop and sometimes think that each day should be cherished and enjoyed rather than just being thought of as "Just another day in my life"?

Just take this story as an example.

Bob Brant, who was my friend and work colleague, had spent 33 years in the job, and was to retire, aged 55 in the middle of September. He had as is the norm, saved up his leave so that he could actually have a few weeks off before this event and was as excited as anyone would be at the prospect of finishing his service and enjoying the retirement he so richly deserved. 8 weeks ago he married his partner of 12 years and together they had planned a long and happy retirement together, doing all the things they had always wanted to do. 6 weeks ago he was diagnosed as having cancer and today we buried him, he died 4 weeks and a day after entering hospital.
The events of the last few weeks have had a profound effect on all who knew Bob, not only beacuse of the quickness in his passing but of the timing of it all in his life. The loss of a loved one or friend is always the saddest of times, no matter what the circumstances surrounding it. But in this instance the timing of it all, has added to the heartache we all feel. In our proffesion we are always portrayed as being anything but human, but Bob was the gentlist of men, well liked and respected by all those who served and knew him. Having done the time in the job he was ready to welcome the challenge of retirement with open arms and to enjoy every minute of it, that has now been so cruelly snatched from him and his family.
We strive for years to ensure that things are taken care of in our lives, we all have plans and dreams of what we want to do once we no longer have to work. We give ourselves to a job which for the most part we enjoy, giving the best we can give, we do the time knowing that when it's all done, we can sit back and enjoy things a little better.
Then for some it is taken away to early and unjustly.

I know it's a bit of a heavy subject, just wanted to put a bit of closure on it from my end, thought that by posting it somewhere it might help, and here it is "Family", so some/all of you might understand.

RIP Bob, you were one of the best!

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Yeah, RIP Bob.
What's just as sad is that it's too common a tale these days, innit?
So much of that story reminded me of lost mates/workmates, and
sometimes it seems like it's all you hear about.

To quote Lou Reed, "What's good? Life's good- but not fair at all."
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Very sorry to read of this news Rodders.

RIP Bob and commiserations to family and friends.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

What a tragic story..
So very sad.

Deepest sympathy to you Rodders, and to Bob's family.
Claireinblack
kent
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Unfortunately, that's not too uncommon. Very sad. It's not even guaranteed that the family get the pension either sometimes.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Same thing happened to my father-in-law 5 years ago, worked all his life,providing for his family for whatever they wanted. Saved his money, had pensions,life insurance etc.
Retired and aged 66 died of pancreatic cancer. Never got to really enjoy all his hard work etc.
To see a man so fit and healthy, go downhill so quickly is heartbreaking. I loved him so much, and I hope have brought my children up with the same values as he did with his ...... and hopefully done a good job. He was my mentor. So glad I told him I loved him the day before he passed away.

Sad times.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Hey Rodney, sorry to hear about Bob. Such a shame when so close to retirement too :(

I think too many people become engrossed in the rat race and forget sometimes to appreciate the journey we take in life. The highs would be nothing without the lows, and I always strive to find the positive from a negative event and savour every minute of life which is not always easy as it requires constant self reminding but gets easier the more you do it. I guess having a job that has every once in a while scared the living shit outa me helps but the most important thing in life (IMHO) is a sense of humour - lose that and you may as well put a bullet in yer head.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

commiserations to you and all of his friends and family. I recall the same happening to my great uncle. A hard life (a war included) only to retire at 65 and die one week later of a brain tumour.

Take nothing for granted.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Very sad story. It's true that you never do no what's round the corner. In March this year my mums, mum died aged 72 not really quite sure what of i always go and visit my grandparents at least once a week since i was a child & i knew she was getting old but one week i went round and she couldn't walk & she just deteriated from there. I got out of hospital & went to visit her just in time as she died the next day with my mum & her brother i think. My granddad her husband is 86 and has that bladder cancer & is 86 but says he will decide when he wants to die his one of those very strong minded people & says even in his state his still got a few years left in him & plans to go onto 90+. 5 years ago i never would imagine i would loose my dad who died in israel on holiday in a freak accident that led to another heart attack. I don't know the full story yet he was 72 aswell & now my nan in the space of two years. So you never know what to expect life can be easily taken as it is given you just don't know when.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Very sad story that Rodders. :(
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
BazinBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by BazinBlack »

Sorry to hear that Rodders, never met you but it does sound in your words that this has had an affect on you. Things like this does make you put things into perspective.

All the best,

Bazza
Strolling along minding my own business.....
Baronvon
Rats Rally

Post by Baronvon »

"Very sad" doesn't come close.

RIP to the guy.
Hmmmm...